“Modern accommodations in historic Gettysburg” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
New Jersey
“Modern accommodations in historic Gettysburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We wanted to tour Gettysburg, but the hotels in town seemed old and dingy. This hotel appeared to offer the most modern accommodations available.

Indeed, the room was clean and comfortable, and the location was great for getting in and out of town. Plenty of free parking, and friendly hotel staff.

Bonus: Free breakfast down in the lobby each morning - not the greatest, but good enough to start the day. (Bagels, muffins – you can even a make your own waffles!) Check out the excellent Perkins down the street if you desire a more proper meal.

Negatives: “new carpet smell.” Hard to describe, but there was this ever-present scent of new carpet or new paint in the room. Didn't really care for it, and it made us wish it were possible to open the windows. The only ventilation option in the room is an old wall unit air conditioner. Also, there was no programmable safe in the room. I feel a little more secure when a safe is available in which to temporarily store valuables while I'm away from the room. So many hotels have them nowadays, I was surprised when this one didn't.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamra H, General Manager at Sleep Inn and Suites, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel. We have been working very hard over the last year to upgrade the intire hotel. Our goal is for all of our guests to be comfortable and relaxed in our newly renevated hotel. I am sorry about the carpet smell. We do hope that you will come back to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Obviously it's not the Ritz but I didn't want to pay for the Ritz for one night in Gettysburg. The lobby is nicely appointed, the room was clean and big enough for our needs. There is a really small indoor pool and my kids were the only ones in it. Really not big enough for more than 4 and it's only 3' deep. No real swimming going on in there. There's also a small gym And the breakfast was adequate, what you'd expect (waffles, eggs, yogurt, pastry). Overall I'd stay here again and recommend it.

Room Tip: Used the trip advisor coupon and saved 10% keeping the room just over $150 and that was the goal.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We really love to hear from our guests so that we can see how we're doing and how we can imporve. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be back again and that you would recomend us. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Rochester, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We arrived at the Sleep Inn and Suites around 9 pm and only stayed one night. Right when we arrived, we were told that since the hotel was booked, we'd be staying in a new room they were remodeling for future use. Turns out that room was the hotel staff's old break room. The keycard wasn't working so we had a physical key to use to get to our room. While the room itself was very large, it was in the basement of the hotel. There was a large kitchen/living room area which was nice except for the constant whirring sound of the refrigerator they had in the room. The bathroom was nice, but they hadn't stocked the room with tissues (a common amenity with any hotel room I've ever been in). Because the room was in the basement, we heard every footstep in the lobby and breakfast area above us, making it difficult to get a good night's rest. The room also lacked a phone so we weren't able to call the front desk if we needed anything. There was also this weird door that led to the outside and to a stairwell into the hotel's pantry area. We found that to be a little sketchy as well. The breakfast they had was ok, there was good variety but we never drink 2% milk and that's all they had there! Usually hotels will offer more than one type of milk for their customers.

Their "gym" consisted of a tiny room with no air conditioning, a weight training system, one very old rickety treadmill and one very very worn out elliptical. I used the elliptical for a quick work out but every time I moved the handlebars it felt like they were going to break off because the handles bent and squeaked so much. The treadmill was shoved next to the wall, so a person running would most likely injure their arm. The TV was placed up near the ceiling so it was a joke to even try using it.

The thing that really irritated me was that after we had checked in we asked if there were any other rooms for us to stay in. The lady at the front desk said no, but I watched as she checked in 2 other groups of people into rooms that weren't in the basement! That was after we had arrived! Overall, I was disappointed in our experience here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and service. I am sorry that your stay was not up to your standards or ours. You were in our new suite downstairs and we did still have a few kinks to work out. Which we have done. As for the noise we added carpeting upstairs to take care of that problem. As far as the other guests that checked in after you they had reserved a different room type that is why their rooms were on the main floor. Again I do aplogize that your stay was not that of what you expected. We do appreciate you telling us of all the issues so that we were able to address them. We do hope that you will come back again so that we can show you just how great we really are. Thank you again.
New Richmond, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

After a tiring 14 hour drive we received a very warm greeting from the front desk staff. Everyone we interacted with during our stay were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, modern and of reasonable size. The breakfast was pretty standard and did not vary much each day but the coffee was terrific

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review of our Hotel! We are very pleased to hear that you had a great stay. We enjoyed having you here and look forward to seeing you again.
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Check-in was fast and easy. Heather was extremely helpful and friendly! The front desk area and lobby were neat and clean. The breakfast area was small, but adequate...didn't get to use that for anything other than the free coffee/tea/hit chocolate (which I always love at any hotel I stay). I did spot a waffle-maker.

Our room on the fourth floor was nice. My friend and I stayed overnight and everything was comfortable. The beds were comfy and so were the pillows. The bathroom was small but very clean. The shower had good water pressure and excellent temperature control. The separate sink was awesome...while my friend showered I was able to putt on my makeup and stuff without having to wait.

There wasn't much hallway noise. In the morning, I heard people moving around a little, but nothing rowdy. The only noises that bugged me were the road noises and the hvac unit. The road noises are pretty bad...I think it would be wise for them to invest in thicker windows in the front of the hotel. Probably would buffer the noise a lot!

Overall, I'd definitely stay again, but I'd request a room near the back away from the road. :-)

• Stayed May 2013
Tamra H, General Manager at Sleep Inn and Suites, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to rate our Hotel. Your feed back is extremely important to us and we are always trying to make things even better. I am glad that you had a good experience and our staff was helpful, and we are excited to have you come stay with us again!
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

My brother and I visited Gettysburg on May 22/23, 2013, primarily to tour the Gettysburg Battlefield site. When we checked in we were greeted by Heather, who, we found out later, is the assistant manager. She was exceedingly friendly and helpful, making suggestions as to what course of action we could take to maximize our time there. She also recommended a few restaurants, which were spot on. The rooms were very clean and the rooms were made up punctually. The continental breakfast was very good and plentiful. I want to visit Gettysburg again and if I do, I'll definitely say here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay. Thank you for such wonderful comments about our hotel and staff. It means a lot to our entire staff. Thank you again!
Princeton NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were in Gettysburg for our grandson's college graduation. The room was spacious and clean. Our only complaint was the terrible breakfast the next morning. Terrible coffee, tasteless fruit, microwaved "scrambled" eggs cooked in a plastic bag. At least there was some yogurt and raisin bran.

The staff members we met were extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tamra H, General Manager at Sleep Inn and Suites, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you did not find our breakfast to be satisfying. We strive to please all of our guest and it seems we came up short on your stay. We are in the process of changing our coffee vendor and making some changes to our breakfast. Please except our apology. I am however glad to hear that the rest of your stay was a good one. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. That is the only way we can make changes and improve our guests satisfaction. Thank you again.

Been to Sleep Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!