“Farnsworth, What have you done?” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
PA
“Farnsworth, What have you done?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

SAD FACE! Changes are a foot at the Farnsworth, and not in a good way. Our beloved restaurant is no more. Yes, spoon bread and watermelon rind are still on the menu, but now you can only get them a la carte. Previously, they were standard accompaniments. The menu, formerly a one page scroll, is now pages deep as if it were a menu from Fridays. The service has drastically changed, and we only recognized one familiar face. The hostess had an attitude, and was not at all the friendly service we have enjoyed in the past. We cancelled two nights of reservations and went elsewhere with better results (Dobbin House and Gettysburg Eddies). We tried it two nights on this visit to confirm the one night was not just a bad experience.

At the Farnsworth House,
I hope the Farnsworth House can pull itself back together.
The pork loin with raspberry sauce was dry though tender. The herb roasted chicken was better. The pumpkin fritters were doughy, and baked potato came out soggy not crispy. The food was o.k., but a far cry to what we were used to. Very disappointing.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great dinner, my husband had the game pie I had the steak my daughter had the chicken pot pie it was all great. Reasonable priced.

Visited July 2013
Clifton Park, New York
“Go for the history, not the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I heard that a reservation at the Farnsworth House was almost impossible to get. I am still wondering why. Yes, it is a bona fide Civil war witness and full of history but also full of awful food. Granted, I was with a huge group and we had the dreaded buffet. The roasted red pepper soup was great, other than that I gagged my lunch down....canned corn, canned green beans, mushy sweet potatoes and a dried out piece of ham. Yuk. I will say the apple pie we had for dessert was awesome!

We were entertained and enlightened by two re-enactors which was great. They also have tons of memorabilia from the movie Gettysburg but they are all in the tavern part of the house and if you want to see them, they are located behind the people who are eating there. I felt very uncomfortable interrupting people's meals to gawk.

My advice...come here for the history lesson, skip lunch or dinner.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good location - Bad Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had dinner in the outdoor courtyard. Good view of bustling Gettysburg tourist district. Service was OK, but the food was not good. We both had the pork chop dinner, which was so dry we had to choke it down with lots of water. The sauce on the pork chop was tasty, but not enough to overcome the dryness of the meat. It was obvious that they had heated the food by microwave. We had actually tried to eat here the night before, but the kitchen closed early because of "issues". We overheard the hostess apologizing profusely to dinners for the bad experience, which should have been a warning to us to stay away. We actually had planned to eat at the Irish pub across the street, but they were packed and had a 1 hour wait. We were in a hurry to catch an 8:30 ranger talk at the battlefield amphitheater, so we gave the Farnsworth Tavern a chance. My recommendation is have drinks here, enjoy the view and skip the food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sayville, New York
“Authentic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The peanut soup, game pie, and pumpkin fritters were out of this world! It was hot and crowded but the delicious food made up for all of that.

Visited July 2013