“A MUST to experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A MUST to experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Totally sets the mood for a trip to Gettysburg. Quaint bar where that has items from the movie on display. Friendly servers. Cozy booths in bar area. Outdoor dining in summer is calm and relaxing. Food is good quality. Servers share their 'ghost stories'. Visit at least 4 times/ year. A must stop if you are in town.

Visited October 2011

Saratoga Springs, New York
“How times have changed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

The Farnsworth House used to be THE place in Gettysburg to have a meal. They were one of first places, that I can think of, that went completely 1860's period...from the decor, to the way that the servers dressed, to the menu items, to the way that the meal was served. The heyday of the place was the early 1990's when it became the unofficial home of the cast, crew, and reenactors that were in town to film the movie "Killer Angels" ("Gettysburg"). Over the past few years, however, after they had earned their reputation, the service has gone downhill considerably. We had such bad service about a year ago, my wife and I said that we would never return. The food has never been an issue...the Game Pie is one of my all-time favorites...but it is very hard to overlook some other issues that are going on. But, we did return recently and the food was once again good and the service was still lacking. It is just not the same.

This is one of the many places in Gettysburg that now caters to whole ghost theme. The Farnsworth House used to have a bookstore on the property right next to the restaurant and pub. It was one of the best bookstores in Gettysburg, carrying dozens of regimental histories. Well, that bookstore is now gone and they have turned it into an area that looks like a funeral parlor. I could not believe it the first time that I walked in and saw how the place had changed. A man told me that the books were in storage and that they would be back for sale shortly and then asked if I wanted to buy seance tickets. I guess that I am just aggravated because, in my opinion, the ghost thing has taken the focus off of what made the Farnsworth House a truly fantastic place. It is apparent that other areas, including the quality of service in the restaurant, have been put on the backburner in favor of the "Mourning Theater" and seances in the "funeral parlor". I almost want to use the term "sell-out" as to what happened to this place. But realizing that businesses exist to earn a profit, I guess that they are just capitalizing on what is hot right now.

I however want nothing to do with the place anymore. It is a real shame. We really used to love going there and having a relaxing dinner.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Delaware
“Quaint setting - bland food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This restaurant is housed in an old Civil War era building. The building itself, pockmarked with bullets, is interesting. The waitstaff dress in period attire. We dined in the garden and found the menu to be limited, the food bland and unexciting. Service was slow and not very attentive. After experiencing period dining in Williamsburg and Philadelphia, this was very disappointing.

Visited July 2011
Windsor, Canada
“Nice dining experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We were the only people there so it was a little weird, and eerily quiet. Our server was very nice though. The menu was pretty basic, but for period dining what can you expect?

I had the Dutch Chicken Pot pie and my fiance had the game pie. Both were delicious. I thought it was a little expensive for what we ordered, but the things they bring out before make it well worth the price (bread, apple butter, pickled veggies and spoon bread). I highly recommend the pumpkin fritters! And my fiance loved the sweet potato pudding. We were a little upset to find that the Shoefly pie was no longer available though. We were really looking forward to it.

We also did breakfast here very morning since we were staying at the B&B. This too was really good! Very basic breakfast but tasty none the less. The waitresses are all very nice too! When you stay in the house they want to hear about your experiences and seem to have a decent interest. Great experience!

Visited November 2011
New Jersey
“overall good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

overall this place was pretty good, they pride themselves in their haunted house and ghost tour, which we also did and enjoyed...the food was pretty good, more reasonably priced than other similar restaurants, but the dining room is rather crowded, with tables packed together fairly close...other than that, had a very nice dinner

• Visited November 2011