“Very Pet Friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Upstate, NY
“Very Pet Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Stayed here June 12-15, 2010 while in town to tour the Battlefields. This hotel is wonderful! Very clean, staff friendly, and located in a nice, non-congested area of Gettysburg. We stayed with our dog Charlie and you simply cannot get anymore dog friendly. We saw numerous others traveling with their canine family members and not once did we pass a staff member who didn't take the time to pet our little friend and remind us that he was the "VIP" guest of the hotel. (AKA- Very Important Puppy)Downtown Gettysburg is just a short drive....well....a short as you can get in semi-peak season traffic. ;-) The rooms were spacious and the Queen sized beds were as fluffy as you could get. Ample pillows on each bed. Flat screen/LCD tv. The bathrooms were of decent size but we only had a walk-in shower. (Fine for us but others may want to know this) No fridge/microwave. Room was very clean. Very popular for wedding receptions/meetings so keep this in mind should you stay on a weekend.....Saturday was quite crowded with wedding guests in the lobby area making their way to and from and there was also a large group of teenage kids staying for a Lacrosse game. They were quite rowdy at times (which makes you question who really should be paying the extra $20 a night we had paid for our dog who never uttered a peep the entire time there....ha ha ha) and completely overtook the pool area but by Sunday, they were gone and the peace was restored. ;-) We did hear them running up and down the halls.....just kids being kids....nothing destructive or anything.....Saturday night on the floor above us but one call to the front desk and within minutes we never heard another peep. Pool area (indoor) was easily accessed and well maintained. Did not go in the Fitness Center but I assume it was just as well maintained as the rest of the property. Did not eat at the restaurant on site but each evening there was complimentary coffee or lemonade right inside the lobby. If you do come here with your pet, you really cannot go wrong staying here. If you are looking for a more quaint, battlefield hotel, this is not for you. If you do travel with pets, I will say that "The Pub" and "O'Rourke's" restaurants with the outdoor seating were more than happy to allow our well behaved Charlie to sit with us and enjoy the beautiful nights we were lucky to have when we were in town. I would certainly stay here again should we mosey this way with our dog again as it truly made for a wonderful vacation. :-)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
vermilion
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for three nights while visiting the battlefield. We stayed primarily because we are Wyndham rewards members. You never would have known it by the way we were treated. I must say the gentleman checking us in was professional and courteous. The hotel and rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. If that is all you expect for the price then you would be satisfied. After we were given our room we discovered it was small and dark with a view of the roof. Keep ind mind as rewards members we should be upgraded to the best available room automatically. After going back down to request a better room we were given the same room with a better view. We had to carry everything ourselves up three floors while staff stood around talking. There is no in room fridge or microwave. No complimentary breakfast of any kind. These are givens at much cheaper chain hotels. I guess what bothered me the most was that when we checked in for a three night stay there was three quarters of a roll of toilet paper and the area provided for additional rolls was empty. The cleaning staff came in every day and never gave us even one additional roll. That roll was down to the wire by day three. It is a good thing they use that cheap toilet paper that is like sandpaper, it really lasts! I am not a person who writes to complain on review sites. I just want good value and a clean room with the basics provided. Wyndham failed on two out of three.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

AAA rates this hotel with 3 Diamonds and it is clearly a 4 Diamond hotel!! I stayed at a similar rated hotel in Secaucus NJ and they aren't even onthe same planet!! This hotel is impressive from entrance to exit. Fabulous accomodations with an excellent mattress, LARGE pool and hot tub, GREAT restaurant, and the MOST accommodating staff I have have encountered! And the rates! They gave me a rate which was incredible. What a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Denver, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We stayed for the weekend for a wine festival and brought our bulldog. They were extremely accommodating for our dog. Every staff member in sight went out of their way to say hello to us and our dog. Very clean and well kept hotel. Nice restaurants within walking distance too.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

My family of four just returned from a three day stay at the Wyndham. We were truly impressed by the hotel and the staff. The lobby, pool, and room were well appointed with just the right touches -clean, comfortable beds, glass front shower stall. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. They not only provided us with reservations for dinner at the Dobbins House,and discount tickets to the nearby movie theater; but they also brought us two cups of coffee at check in when we remarked that we were tired after our long drive. We were impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel and liked its location. It was a great value for the money. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
West Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband, daughter and I recently stayed at this hotel after visiting Gettysburg College. The front staff were extremely friendly and courteous. I was exhausted and not feeling well. I appreciated the fast and easy check in and I cannot put into words how happy I was to get into a clean, spacious room. The bed was SO comfortable, the linens were pristine - I was amazed!
We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

PROS: New building which coincides with the cleanliness - fairly large.
Buffet Breakfast was good, even though you may wait a really long time and be ignored as you're waiting to be seated.

CONS: Service, service, service. I've stayed at many hotels, and decided to pay a little extra for this one in Gettysburg to get something a little above the average. There aren't a lot of nice hotels in Gettysburg so this was the nicest one that I found from my little research. The first room we received looked great from the outside. But when we tried to take a shower(this was in FEBRUARY), the water was cold. OK, no big deal, we'll just ask for another room because there is no hot running water. We call them, and they tell us that because our rooms were at the end of the building, hot running water doesn't reach to us...sorry. I mean c'mon, do you really think we're that stupid? How can you run a hotel and give us that lame reason...and if that were to be true then perhaps they should just show us to another room! It was like pulling teeth to get another room for something so basic. The staff seemed young, unprofessional and completely clueless. I asked for their manager, and they took forever to get back to us. I just thought it was ridiculous we had to fight to get another room for something as trivial as this...

BOTTOM LINE: This was the first hotel I've ever filed a complaint over. Wyndham didn't respond to me the first time, and when I wrote again a month later to follow up, they finally responded. Their saving grace was a certificate for a free stay at one of their chains. I thought that was a nice gesture, but doesn't change the fact that I will ever stay here again.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends