“Perfectly Located for the Gettysburg Wine and Music Festival 09/10 and Gettysburg Sites” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Gettysburg

Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We were going to meet at the Wine and Music Festival with our travel friends (S and K) and secured for them on our second night, when they arrived, an adjoining room so we could better socialize. We simply asked the front staff girl to change it, and she accomplished this easily enough. (There was an accident when, on the first night, they mistakenly assigned the room to a senior couple, whose husband didn't look very athletic anymore, who pushed their card into our slot several times before I went out and told her that the room was occupied, which, unfortunately, surprised the travel-weary wife but who handled it graciously and old-school. The front desk called and apologized immediately. It was an accident and no big deal.) Either way, we ended up in a handicap/disability-accessible room (please forgive any unintentional misuse of archaic or non-descriptive language), 218, with our friends in 216, a similar-sized room with two kings, on Friday adn Saturday nights. (216 had all the same things going on review-wise as ours did.) The lighting over the ends of the tastefully appointed maple wall units is modern and aesthetically pleasing. The bathroom had an open-layout shower, and the doorways were larger. There were also a few other unfamiliar objects, like a switch for the doorbell and a low-hung phone in the bathroom. We found it to be a spacious and very nice room. The television, as we have come to expect in some good places that renovated a couple of years ago or, as in this case, are a couple of years old, is one of these boxy old-fashioned televisions, rather than flat-screened monitors. We don't own an old television like that in our home. Another reviewer, in my opinion, humorously described these sets as "yard sale specials." There is a dated wired internet situation that is free, but funky with my wiFi set-up. Why can't upper-end hotels go wireless throughout the property so we can sit on our bed or downstairs and stay in touch? The bathroom towels were a little thin but still would not be acceptable for our home. The shampoo, soap, and conditioner are all of a generic/Suave-brand variety. Bring your own stuff as my esposa and our friends do. Me? Not such a big deal. The esposa also commented that the mattress was very comfortable, and, on the floor directly above the lobby--see my video review under my youtube name jeffhfromoxford--there was no noise, and no sunlight or exterior lighting with the quality blackout curtains and gauze window treatment. We enjoy buying very new movies (recently or currently in theaters), but no PPV here. So it would have been nice to be more easily online and get something to watch. The cable was OK, with free HBO, but, again, not half what we have at home. The wired internet access is as I said earlier, free, but not so easy for me when my whole situation is set up around WiFi. Pretty soon I'll be completely data-plan, I figure, but I don't understand why upper-end hotels don't invest in WiFi throughout their properties, and don't get me started on what I feel like doing when hotels want me to pay ten-plus bucks a day for internet access for each of us!!!! OK, back to the room review: the pillows were a little small and thin, the sheets a bit worn, but overall very clean. The housekeeping staff, like the breakfast buffet waitstaff and front desk staff, uniformly does an exceptional job. Once again, the thing that makes a good hotel a great stay is a friendly and proactive staff. I returned the luggage carrier to the front desk area and was heartily thanked for what I can only imagine is just common courtesy. I asked for extra towels on the Wine and Music Fest day and got them, along with a spotless cleaning, without any drama. There's a little back courtyard (yeah, it took me a minute to get it when I first saw it) with one fenced-in section that is only accessible from the nice little business area off of the lobby. It's not very well organized place for most travelers who do, yes, need the printer access, but need couches and set-ups more like Starbucks than these 1980's visions of what business travelers need. Inside the lobby, the do offer free java all day, and, like the breakfast buffet, it was quite good coffee. There is plenty of free, safe parking, and a tenth-of-a-mile-away there is an under-used full-service movie theater that does some sort of Gettysburg film reel and then shows other new releases. There's a Wyndham Hotel nextdoor to this property, plus a very good Italian place, Carimba's, right across from the hotel lobby along with an American-fare type place. We stayed there for the 2010 Wine and Music Festival, and the location was perfect--just a short, five-minute stagger away for many guests. One could also easily use it as a very modern homebase for explorations of Gettysburg's battle and Eisenhower sites, all of which are exceedingly parking-friendly/convenient except on summer weekends. Different companies' busses kept coming by the lobby, which we thought was promising for travelers who didn't want to drive their cars and still get around the downtown and battle areas. The fitness center had too many machines crammed into too small of a space, and two of the three treadmills were broken. There were two bikes and a stairmaster, plus some weights, plus a small indoor pool, which we didn't use but which looked nice and clean. There's a little smoking-tolerated area outside of there. I would say this is the nicest hotel in Gettysburg, except for the historical places downtown, which, of course, have loads of charm but little in contemporary amenities. We got it, with tickets to the Festival for two days and two two-person breakfast buffets (valued at 10 bucks a head each morning) for 159 a night off of their website. It was a good deal.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Words cant say how clean and beautiful this hotel was would absolutely stay here again

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Cumberland, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

This was the BEST hotel stay I have ever had. From walking in the door to leaving the next morning, I could not have asked for anything more.. the young lady at the check in desk was SO helpful. Would HIGHLY recommend this hotel.
One con, the pool is small, but we didn't use it so no problem for me!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Very good hotel. Large rooms and very close to Gettysburg. Rooms were very clean and large. Hotel has movie theator next door. Front very helpful and nice. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

The Marriott Courtyard is a new, comfortable hotel. The rooms were clean, and the beds were comfortable. In addition, the staff was very helpful.

The property appeared to have been built less than a year ago - it is located in a brand new complex, which includes two hotels, three restaurants, and a movie theater.

An added bonus - unlike most other hotels, parking at The Courtyard was absolutely free, not to mention convenient. The parking lot is large and close to the hotel. This is definitely helpful when unloading luggage, etc.

Overall, a fantastic stay at The Marriott Courtyard in Gettysburg, PA.

• Stayed July 2010
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Myhusband stayed here while visiting Gettysburg College with our son. Great place to stay. Clean. Everyone was friendly. Not a single bad thing to report.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Latrobe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Nice, clean hotel in good proximity to Gettysburg. My only complaint is that I opted for the breakfast-included option when I booked our room. Lets just say that I am a big breakfast fan and was a little disappointed in the selection for the buffet which was lacking in breakfast staples of pancakes, french toast, or waffles (that you don't have to use the disgusting do-it-yourself machine to make). Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Gettysburg? Share your experiences!