“Great place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Detroit, Michigan
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

We stayed 3 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn and were very pleased with the service at the front desk, overall room and environment, location from downtown Gettysburg (about 5-7 minutes drive). They have free internet and computer use in their business center (to staying guests) which helped us immensely when we needed change our travel plans a bit. Breakfast buffet was filling (chef made to order your eggs, meat, waffles, etc) as well as they offered fruit, cereals, pastries, etc. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

621 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Western Mass.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I booked this hotel for 2 nights originally, but due to the weather our plans changed and I needed to add a night. I called the day before and they added a night, no problem.
I booked the Bed and Breakfast package online. It was $149 per night and included the made to order hot breakfast.
We arrived early in the afternoon and our room was ready, 1st floor, away from elevator as requested. We actually were on the end of the hall right by the door. So, we could park just outside the door and enter and exit right next to our room, very convenient.
I didn't take any photos of the room because the photos on here are very accurate. The rooms are average size and clean with very comfy beds. Bathroom has the granite counter. The only problem we had was the tub drained slowly. I informed the front desk and when we returned that afternoon it was all fixed.

The best part of this hotel was - Bruce! When we arrived he was working the front desk. That evening he was still working the front desk. The next morning when we went to breakfast he was the chef. I asked him if he ever slept! While we were eating he even came around to every table to inquire how everything was. He was VERY nice and extremely interested in every guest and making sure they were happy! It's people like Bruce that make a great hotel! He needs a raise!

Every morning we went to the lobby where breakfast is served. There was cereal, fresh fruit, muffins, pastries, bagels and toast, a coffee station and a waffle making station. All of this was self serve. Then you could go up to the window and order eggs/omelets any way you wanted - veggies, cheese, meats, whatever. When your order was ready they served it to you at your table. It was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had.

There is also a small bar that you could get a drink at in the evening. We never ate at the restaurant in the lobbby for lunch or dinner, but heard that it was good.

The workout room was small with a couple of ellipticals and a couple of treadmills. But it worked. We didn't use the small indoor pool located next to the gym, also on the first floor.

The hotel is located just out of downtown. Which, for us, was nice. We could drive downtown and park and walk around wherever we wanted. Then when the day was over we could get away from the crowds. It was also convenient to the highway.

The front desk staff was very friendly, very knowledgable and always willing to help with whatever we asked.

Thanks, Hilton Garden Inn staff for making our trip a great one!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Southington CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

Were were heading home from Busch Gardens VA and made reservations to stay at the Hilton for 2 nights. The rooms were very spacious, clean, and beds were very comfortable. Pool was small but it's not a resort. They offer an excellent Free Continental Breakfast or there is a Panera Bread or Perkins within a half mile. Military whether active or retired get special rates. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

The hotel was clean and seemed new and well kept. The location was convenient, with there being a supermarket, fast food, and Walmart close by. The indoor pool was small and our group (with children) probably overwhelmed individuals staying and wanting to use the pool, but the kids had fun - not as much as an outdoor pool, but it was OK. The included high speed Internet is appreciated - all hotels should have that this day and age.

The hotel breakfast wasn't bad. $10 for adults, $5 for kids. But you better want to eat to get your money's worth. If you just want a yogurt, fruit, toast, or a bowl of cereal - it is still going to cost you $10 or $5. Doesn't make sense.

My main complaint was that when I made the reservation, I asked for a non-smoking room and I was specifically told my reservation was for a non-smoking room, yet I was given a smoking room when I checked in, as was at least one other family in our group. Moving to a different room was not an option since the hotel was totally booked that weekend. I ended up having to buy a can of Febreeze to spray down the room and an air freshener, which helped mask the smell a little.

The people at the front desk had no sympathy, just a deer in the headlights look when we complained.

This is 2009... I can't believe there is still a hotel that actually has smoking rooms or allows indoor smoking. Most smokers know they need to smoke outside anyway. Why ruin your rooms and equipment with allowing smoking?

So I would recommend if you are booking this hotel, if you want a non-smoking room, get several confirmations that you are getting a non-smoking room - you may even want to get it in writing. In fact, try to avoid the 4th floor altogether. (One half of the 4th floor is where the smoking rooms are.)

• Stayed July 2009
Chantilly, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

My wife & I wanted a weekend get-away and this Hilton didn't let us down. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I talked to Joe when I booked the room over the phone. He was helpful and friendly. I'm sorry that I don't remember the young lady that was there when we checked in, but she was just as friendly and helpful as Joe. This place is very clean and our rooms were wonderful. No tacky decor here. Bathroom was clean as well. They have a very comfortable and spacious lobby with a fireplace. It was nice that they had the fireplace going even though it was warm that day. My wife and I enjoyed sitting there talking with coffe in hand. We booked a room that included breakfast, (It's a better deal that way). They had a free coffee station which is nice and the choices you have for breakfast is really amazing. There is something for everyone in your family to choose from. The people in charge of running the breakfast area were friendly and made you feel welcomed. I took the advice of another review and requested a room that DID NOT include the fourth floor. I'm a non-smoker and the fourth floor is split. Half smoking and half non-smoking. Apparently from other reviews, you can still smell the smoke and I didn't want that to ruin my stay. So Joe noted when I booked the room that I requested NO FOURTH FLOOR. Thanks Joe!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Antioch, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

A typical Hilton Garden in - nice hotel, very clean. Refrigerator/Microwave in the room which is always good especially if you are staying several days, plus they served breakfast and dinner with evening room service - and the food was very good. I was only at this hotel one night, but the thing that made it stand out was the staff. Everyone was very friendly, but Bruce who was filling in at the front desk was outstanding. He went above and beyond when my rental car had a dead battery - driving me to my meeting and also offering to jump my car. A great Hilton employee and a very nice guy to boot. Thanks!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I reviewed this hotel several years ago and, after staying at one of the newer hotels in the area my last trip through, stayed at the Garden Inn again. It is still convenient, though not in the middle of the tourist area, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good, if a little slow. My only complaint would be that the fourth floor is half smoking, half not, so the entire hall smells like a smoking floor.

Even with the smoke issue, this is the best value in the area, more convenient and comfortable than even the new hotels down the road.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg? Share your experiences!