“Six stars for the friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Book now and save 25%
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston
“Six stars for the friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

Great Hilton Garden Inn. Every employee was very friendly and helpful and I would give them six "stars" if it were possible. It is a newer hotel (I'm guessing less than 2 years) in an area full of newer chain hotels, shopping plazas, and movie theater. We found everything very clean although I find the new bedding (found in all lower priced Hilton brands it seems) just too soft for me. That's not the Garden Inn's fault. The hotel is at most a five minute drive to downtown, historic Gettysburg and 7 minutes to the battlefield visitor's center. I only gave it 4 marks for location because if you are expecting to step out your door and be in area full of antique and touristy shops, that won't happen here. However, it is such a short, easy ride to the downtown, I don't find location an issue. I took one mark off for value because the price for the breakfast seemed high. I booked a room rate that included breakfast, which, because there were four of us, saved us about 2/3 of what the cost for breakfast would've been. Also, the pool area and pool were small (which seems to be a trend in newer chain hotels.) There are only 5 chairs for parents to watch their kids and I think that is about all that would fit in the space. A sign said that the pool could hold (I think) 22 people and we laughed because 22 adults would have to stand side by side to all fit. I didn't use it, but the hot tub seemed to have a very weak flow.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

I'm writing to say what an absolutely satisfactory stay me, my husband and teenage daughter had at the Gettysburg Hilton Garden Inn. We never before had the occasion to stay in a roadside hotel and we were visiting Gettysburg College and doing a little sight seeing on the side. We were surprised by the large room with comfortable bedding, microwave, coffee maker (with coffee provided) and refrigerator. My daughter enjoyed the workout room and even borrowed an in room fitness kit which included yoga equipment, free weights, a big rubberband thing and medicine ball. Use of the business center was free and I was able to print our boarding passes and maps. In the morning there was a reasonably priced breakfast. Did I mention that internet was free? We could not have asked for more. And all that for $109 per night!

The hotel itself is well located near a shopping center, so a grocery store, dollar store and a CVS are all close at hand. We enjoyed eating at the Ruby Tuesday very near by. The town of Gettysburg is 3 minutes away. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

Stayed here for two nights in March 2009. The rooms were nice, though not exceptionally large. The check-in process was flawless and we were given some nice amenities since we are Honors Gold VIP members. We were on the fourth (top) floor and as soon as we got off the elevators we were greeted with a very strong smell of stale cigarette smoke. The hotel has this floor split between smoking and non-smoking. The smell was not bad on our side of the hall and you could not smell it in our room. The beds were comfy and the bathroom was great. The TV was great too, though I thought they advertised flat screen TVs- no matter, I wasn't there to watch TV. The wireless Internet was atrociously slow and I had a very weak connection. The pillows on the bed were a bit too fat for a stomach sleeper like me. Luckily we had free passes for breakfast because I would've been quite mad to have had to pay for it. The food tasted good, but the whole ordering process was confusing and the service was weak. There were a few (not many) people waiting on breakfast one morning and they had 4 staff members in the kitchen and dining area and it seemed like they were in total chaos. I asked for some silverware and the lady handed me a bunch of napkins and a gob of knives, forks, and spoons! It took around 15 minutes to get my simple omelet and bacon. I must say, the bacon was great. That night, around 9:45 we noticed a strong smell of cigarette smoke wafting into our room. It was horrible and we phoned the desk and were moved to another floor. We were told the only floor with smoking was the fourth floor (our luck!). So, we moved to the third and it was OK, though noisy- I guess everyone was staying on the 3rd floor. The front desk member gave us $20 off of our rate, so that was quite nice. Breakfast the next day was better managed, and less chaotic, but still took way too long to get my food or have my order taken. I would stay here again if the price was right, but I prefer the Hampton Inn in Gettysburg. The front desk staff were great, the kitchen staff not at all, and one restaurant server- a younger lady, she was great.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

The Hilton Garden Inn is a newer hotel located off of Rt. 15 in Gettysburg. There is a shopping center behind the hotel with a grocery store, a few shops, and a pizza place. There is also a gas station and an Arby's nearby. There are many other restaurants and shops that you can quickly drive to.

My check-in at the hotel went smoothly. I was made to feel very welcome and the clerk explained to me all the hotel offered and what was nearby. I was given two coupons for free bottled water so that was a nice gesture.

The hotel has a very nice business center on the first floor. It is in a room you must use your key to gain access to. It had two personal computers with high speed internet access; a full size copying machine, a fax machine and a laser jet printer.

A fitness ceter had a treadmill, stair stepper and recumbent bike. There was also an indoor pool. The hotel had coin operated washing machines and dryers.

The lobby had the American Grill Restaurant that served dinners and a $9.95 breakfast in the mornings. There was also a little shopping area that offered food and beverages and sundry items.

My room was clean and had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and iron and ironing board. I had a flat screen television that could be rotated to where I was in the room. There was a lounge chair with foot rest, a desk and swivel chair.

My stay was pleasant and I had a fast checkout by the telephone. I would stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

Friendly staff at check in, and very accommodating on ground floors (requested prior to check in). Free Wifi. Nice lobby in this new hotel. Buffet breakfast good. Quiet.

The pool and whirlpool was a nice addition, in particular after a full day walking miles (!) at Gettysburg.

Note that the only downsize is that you are about a 10-minute drive to central Gettysburg, so watch out for peak rush hour travel.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

This is a clean, comfortable, and safe hotel. Attractive lobby
area and our room while small was entirely adequate. Bathroom was small and no where to really put toiletries as
the counter does not have drawers or a shelf available.

The bed was SOOOO comfortable. Hilton has it right when
they put these beds in their hotels. I have never slept on such
a comfortable king bed such as this one! Bedding was clean and fresh and the towels, while not fancy, were fluffy and new.
Everything was so nice and clean.

Best of all, since I have a food intolerance (gluten free/celiac) I
was worried about finding adequate food to heat up in the
microwave in our room.

No worries because there is a Gettysburg Giant Supermarket
that is within walking distance or by car (2 minutes) that is conveniently located behind the hotel. This grocery had everything I needed and extensive wheat free/gluten free
selection of cereals, frozen entrees, and cookies.

This made our two night stay very easy and pleasant. I also
liked the fact that they have coffee, decaf, and tea available in
the lobby entrance as well as cookies later in the afternoon.

Their buffet breakfast costs $13.00 but they had a nice
selection of fruit (wonderful strawberries) omelets, bacon,
cereal, etc. Well worth the price as the hotel cost is very
reasonable.

A nice retreat after sightseeing in Gettysburg all
day.

• Liked — Overall cleanliness and the comfy bed
  • Disliked — the lace of space in bathroom to place toiletries, etc. They could put a shelf in or even provide a basket to hold supplies
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

Hilton Garden Inn was great. We paid $125 by calling the hotel directly and using my AAA membership. Hotel was a few miles from the sights and easy to get to. Hotel room was comfortable for our family of five. We had two double beds and a cot (free of charge). Air conditioning was also comfortable. Quiet room, sizable closet, adequate toiletries. Great lobby area, complimentary tea, coffee, and hot cocoa all day (Big plus for my children) and cookies in the evening. This was our third stay in a Hilton Garden Inn and we loved it.

• Liked — free hot beverages
  • Disliked — would love a simple continental breakfast to be included
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg? Share your experiences!