“bad bad bad hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
New York
“bad bad bad hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

my friends and I are from new York, we planned this trip two months ahead of time reserved a room that had a kitchen ect.. we don't have a lot money so this trip wassomething we looked forward to. my husband I had a separate hotel our room was given to another because we were so late due to traffic.when our friends checked in they were placed in a standard room not the honeymoon suite they were promised and still had to pay 140.00 for two days, my husband and I had to rent a room and got a two bed room for 75.00..instead of putting us all together the manger got 75.00 from us for 5 hours and our friends did not get their honeymoon suite they ended up staying in our room.. also we left for the day on Saturday and our room was not cleaned even though the green sign was up but it was obvious someone was in our room . we ended up making our own beds and getting clean towels. on the bright side the room was clean and spacious, the manager patrolled the parking lot at five am and the pool needs repair. and there is also extended stay folks hanging around my husband and i were constantly watched in the pool...and being laughed at. this is not a hotel of quality. very disappointed..

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Grafton, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Blue Sky motel is an older style motel that has not been updated since I was a child! It needs a good make over. Rooms are knotty pine walls in good shape. Ceilings and bathrooms need a good updating. Curtains are from the Victorian era. So now after that rant here is the positive. It is a clean room. I checked it all out by wiping down bath and mini kitchen and it is clean! Towels are sparse and need updating so bring your own. The property is in a beautiful location a few miles out from Gettysburg proper. We heard no noise and had a good nights rest in all the nights we were there. The couple who take care of the maintence are wonderful folks and there to get you whatever you need. The pool is very refreshing and kept very clean. And that's it do I hope that this helps you decide.

• Stayed June 2014
Havertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I've been coping with family health emergencies for several months and couldn't find the time to gather my thoughts, let alone write, but my good memories of my stay at the Blue Sky motel in Gettysburg this summer have brightened my darkest days. This July marked the 150th anniversary of the bloody battle that brings thousands of tourists to this tiny Pennsylvania town every year, making hotel rooms especially hard to find, which prompted the hotel chains to jack up their prices to robber baron levels. THE BLUE SKY DID NOT ENGAGE IN THIS RUTHLESS BEHAVIOR AND THEY SHOULD BE COMMENDED FOR CHARGING REASONABLE RATES that families and solo travelers can afford (i.e., the price of my 3 night stay was less than it cost for 1 night at many competing hotels). My room was perfectly adequate for this price point and the bed was comfortable (To the reviewers who complained about the quality of the room, if you want posh accomodations, book a luxury hotel). As an added bonus, the motel grounds were pastoral and picturesque, and the outdoor pool was a livesaver in the midst of the sticky July heat wave. But most of all, THE HOSPITALITY WAS EXCEPTIONAL. As a woman travelling alone, safety is a primary concern. Mike, a particularly dedicated staff member, made sure to look out for my personal safety and the security of my belongings, especially when I was swimming. When the radio in my clock/radio was broken, Mike let me borrow his radio so that I could sit and listen to country music on the porch when I was reading (yes, this is what people do in G-burg on warm summer nights...and watch the lightning bugs...and listen to the ghosts). With the nights getting shorter, and the days getting colder, as I'm writing this, I can't wait to go back to the Blue Sky next summer! **Sidenote: I've lived in a few cities that cater to tourists (San Francisco, CA and Washington, DC to name a few) and I've travelled all over the U.S., and abroad, and I've found that more than anyplace else, the local business owners in G-burg treat me like a human being, not like a stack of dollar bills. I find it uniquely amazing that they haven't lost their sense of human decency, in light of the hordes of tourists swarming the place. To foreign tourists, don't miss this slice of good ol' American Pie!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
BlueSkyMotelGetty, Manager at Blue Sky Motel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
We're a family-owned business which owns Blue Sky and North Ridge Motel in Gettysburg, PA. Thank you for your kind review. Our location enables us - straight out from the town square to provide clean rooms at affordable prices. Whether you are a solo traveler, family, or seniors, we've got the right room for you. Thank you again for choosing Blue Sky and we welcome you to visit us again.
-Sincerely,
The Blue Sky Family
Trumbull, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were sent to this hotel by another hotel because the first one didn't have the room we booked. When we got there the curtains on room 16 looked more like sewn sheets that when it was dark and the lights were on in your room you could see through the brown curtains. Yes you could see the bed very clearly. When we turned on the bathroom light the light on the left kept flickering and it sounded like electricity was running through it. Kinda like a short in the system would sound. We took a trip at the end of October so it was very cold. There was no thermostat on the wall unit. It was either low heat or high heat. We put it on low heat and it was so hot you couldn't breathe. So we spent the entire night turning off the heat because it was to hot and turning on the heat because it was to cold. The same happened in room 15. There were 4 in that room and no one slept there either for the same reason. We also had quite a few stink bugs in the room. The bathroom in room 15 did not look very clean at all. It reminded me of a place that men would rent by the hour.

Room Tip: Make the trip to Chambersburg for a room. If you want a good sleep and nothing else but this hotel...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
BlueSkyMotelGetty, Owner at Blue Sky Motel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We've recently renovated and we've put the pictures of Blue Sky, including photos of the bathrooms, online and on our own website so you can see before you book. We think our location and our clean rooms provides value to all of our guests.
Newark, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This is not your typical high-end motel. It is a small motel. Has what it says. Maybe in need of some updating/maintenance in the pool and landscaping. But, clean and friendly. It was perfect for me and my husbands anniversary getaway. A place to sleep and shower. Loved the "cabiny" feel. Will visit again!

• Stayed August 2013
We'd definitely want for you to stay with us again. However, on the next time we'll try to get a 5 star review from you. Sincerely, The Blue Sky Family.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here four times over the last three years and am always pleased. I've never seen a bug in the rooms, the beds have thick, comfy padding, and most rooms have a big deck that opens to a huge grassy area. The location is great. I like being outside of downtown Gettysburg because it's impossible to get a good night's sleep with the constant car and foot traffic and it's literally just seven minutes down one road to get to the shops and city. Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your kind review. A lot of people don't realize the value of our location and clean rooms. We'd certainly want for you to stay with us again. Sincerely, The Blue Sky Family
Sheffield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our family has stayed here many times in the past and never had any problums with dirty rooms, bugs or such. We love to be just a short drive from town and out in the country. Its nice to sit out on the deck and look over the field.
My parents and us are coming out in Aug and I have had many friendly chats with Cindy that runs the front desk. she has been helpful, friendly and a joy to chat with. I can't wait to meet her in person this Aug.
If your looking for a country motel this is it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BlueSkyMotelGetty, Front Office Manager at Blue Sky Motel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I look forward to seeing you as well in August.

-Cindy
Blue Sky Motel

Been to Blue Sky Motel? Share your experiences!