“Perfectly Amazing in Every way, Among the very Best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Swope Manor Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Swope Manor Bed & Breakfast
Save Saved
You added The Swope Manor Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
58 - 60 York Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #9 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Belair Md
“Perfectly Amazing in Every way, Among the very Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I consider this to be one of the most important reviews I have written as a regular trip advisor reviewer and I have given a lot of forethought prior to this writing. The Swope Manor Inn is a magnificent place and its recent opening as a Bed and Breakfast is a blessing to all of us who love The town of Gettysburg. My knowledge and love of this home, predates the opening of the Swope Manor Inn and am therefore feel very honored to have been one of the first guest to stay here when it was recently opened.
George Swope was one of the more interesting citizens of Gettysburg in the 1860s and his home was definately one of a kind. The spacious entertaining rooms on the first floor include two beautiful parlors, a stunning entrance hallway which features a georgous triple stairway, a large library which has a great selection of books, a magnificent dining room, and a second less formal dining area. The new owners, John and Lori, have created a masterpiece in restoring this property by paying close attention to maintainig the originality of the building and by decorating its interior with beautiful and unusual furniture, pictures and other decor. If George Swope and his wife Margaret were able to walk into the home today they too would be amazed.
The new Swope Manor has 13 bedrooms, and each has its own character. I will tell you that there is not a bad room in the house. Each is beautifully decorated and each has spacious and luxurious bathrooms. I was truly amazed at how nice every room was. There are great pictures on the website but honestly they do not do justice to the true charm and beauty of the Inn.
The Swope Manor has a rich history and I would encourage you to read the Inns history on the website. The Battle of Gettysburg actually raged through the town of Gettysburg late on July 1st and continued on July 2. The Swope Manor property was in the thick of the action. So if you like being on the battlefield, you are right there. Everything you would want to experience in terms of shopping and downtown restaurants and nightlfe is a very short walk away.
I have been priviliged to be a guest at almost every Bed and Breakfast in Gettysburg and there are many great B and B's here. Every great B and B has a great Innkeeper and the Swope Manor Inn has one of the best in Mr Van Richards. Van has been a pleasure to work with on my visits. Always taking the time to tell us interesting facts about the home and making sure that every need, no matter how large or small, is addressed with urgency. Van has a longterm history in the Gettysburg hospitality industry and great knowledge of the Gettysburg story. He will make you feel like the most important person in Gettysburg when you visit. And I almost forgot to say that Van makes a fantastic breakfast!!
Obviously I was impressed by my stay at the Swope Manor Inn and I had some previous experience with the home. It is an understatement for me to say that my expectations were well exceeded. To John and Lori the new owners, I want to say thankyou for your efforts to make this the beautiful property it has now become. To Van, thankyou for making our stay one of the most memorable I have ever had in Gettysburg. And to all of you who may read this review, you will be doing yourself an injustice if you don't at sometime plan a visit to the Swope Manor Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)

Been to The Swope Manor Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!