“A bustling place with delightful service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hunt's Battlefield Fries & Cafe'

Hunt's Battlefield Fries & Cafe'
61 Steinwehr Ave, Gettysburg, PA 17325-2811
(717) 334-4787
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 115 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Description: THE BUILDING THAT HUNT'S BATTLEFIELD FRIES AND CAFE' IS IN, IS AN OLD HOUSE THAT FAMILYS ONCE LIVED IN. THE HOUSE AT 61 STEINWEHR AVE WAS NOT HERE YET DURING THE CIVIL WAR BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG, BUT WAS BUILD ABOUT 1900, YES IT IS SMALL INSIDE, BUT WE MAKE GREAT USE OF THE SPACE.
“A bustling place with delightful service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

The staff here are delightful as can be. The food came out promptly and piping hot. I went in at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and there were still people waiting for tables. I cannot say enough good things about this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Don't pass this place up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We are here about 430 on a Thursday afternoon. We were the only people here so we were able to get a table easily. I had my first cheesesteak sub ever here. I'm not very adventurous with my food so I just had steak and American cheese. It was delicious! The meat was seasoned perfectly.
Fries were good too. I got the fresh squeezed lemonade...it was perfect...not too sweet.
Lots to look at here too. My kids loved looking at all the stuff they had here. They also have green mountain coffee by the cup and by the bag. And they have mallow cups! And other candy too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sarasota, Florida
“Just Don’t Get All the Hype...!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

After reading all the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor, I told our friends that this place looked like a ‘must-do’ in Gettysburg for lunch. We were staying at the Brickhouse Inn, which was a short 5 minute walk away. When we arrived, I was taken aback by the appearance of this place as it looked more like an old General Store than a restaurant. It was about 2pm, so we were able to get a table right away. The menu had a nice selection of sandwiches and burgers and their prices were reasonable. The service we received was very good, but I felt the food was just average and the atmosphere left a lot to be desired. I suppose if you like the experience of eating in the middle of a general store, this place might excite you, but I wish we had eaten somewhere else. This may be where the locals eat, but I just don’t get all the hype they’re getting and can only rate them “Average”.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
West Haven
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The food was outstanding and loved this little place. I recomend going here for lunch on your trip to Gettysberg.

Visited August 2013
Mays Landing, New Jersey
“Some of the Best French Fries I Have Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I stopped in here late June for a late lunch. It was a rainy Friday and past the rush so we have most of the place to ourselves. The place is cramped and I can imagine what it is like when crowded and there also seems to be a lot of clutter where more people could sit. I had a cheese steak and french fries. The cheese steak was really good but the real star of the show were the fries. Second only to Dave's Fresh Fries (Blue Building, Englishtown Flee Market, Englishtown, NJ). They were fresh and cooker perfectly and served with a spray bottle of vinegar (the spray bottle was a neat idea). The owner happened to be there and took time to speak with each customer and get us all refills on our drinks.

All in all, if you can get in, it definitely worth it!

• Visited June 2013