“Bang for your buck” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hunt's Battlefield Fries & Cafe'

Hunt's Battlefield Fries & Cafe'
61 Steinwehr Ave, Gettysburg, PA 17325-2811
(717) 334-4787
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 113 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Description: THE BUILDING THAT HUNT'S BATTLEFIELD FRIES AND CAFE' IS IN, IS AN OLD HOUSE THAT FAMILYS ONCE LIVED IN. THE HOUSE AT 61 STEINWEHR AVE WAS NOT HERE YET DURING THE CIVIL WAR BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG, BUT WAS BUILD ABOUT 1900, YES IT IS SMALL INSIDE, BUT WE MAKE GREAT USE OF THE SPACE.
engelsan@aol.com
“Bang for your buck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Liked the buffalo steak sandwich and the chicken buffalo sandwich Both were great. The frys were a bit greasy but tasty. We ate outside where it was airy and that was just fine. Inside it was crowded but the waitress was very accomadating and suggested the seating outside. Would eat here again.

Visited September 2012

Owensboro, Kentucky
“Am I Missing Something?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was my first eating stop in Gettysburg based upon the great reviews. But I must be missing something because I didn't understand what all the hype was about. I'd give it 2.5 stars, but that's not an option. "Average" was a little strong. The dining area is very small, only a handful of tables. Took a long time for us to get waited on -- the waitress must have been cooking the food, too. No fountain drinks, only bottled water and soda that is overpriced, so stop across the street to the gas station and bring your own drink! I asked for tap water and was not able to get it, so I went without. Burger was forgettable, fries were good I will say that, but overpriced in that area, too. Bring a friend and share the cost of the fries. Now that I know what to expect, I might go back to try to discover the hidden gem in this place. But at this point, it's at the bottom of my "to do" list.

Visited April 2012
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Local's favorite place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I grew up in Gettysburg, but left after I graduated from high school. Years later I have returned after living in a few different states. It is hard to find a place in a city or tourist town that really have the "local" vibe. The restaurants that tourists like are often the ones the locals do not care for. Hunt's is just awesome. The staff is amazing, they are always so nice. I think that's what makes it for me, nice, friendly people not trying to hard to be nice because you can just get the feel that they are. The food is something I don't try to eat all the time (burgers, fries, wings) but I do stop there from time to time. I love the small atmosphere and that it is very much the best kept secret of Gettysburg when it comes to food. When friends come to visit I skip the places that everyone goes (Pub, Blue Parrot, etc) Hunt's is the place to go if you want good food for a decent price and it's one of those places I enjoy whether I am entertaining friends who are visiting or grabbing a bite after work.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Hunt's ~ Awesome Food, Awesome Cheesesteaks, "WOW" !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Three Times a year,when in Gettysburg, we and a group of friends, sometimes as many as ten, meet at Hunts for breakfast and/ or lunch. Hunt's Battlefield Fries has the "WOW" factor.. Always, Always good food, good service and they are very accomodating to large groups (since the place is small). On occasion we have sat outside as well as inside and enjoyed breakfast/lunch & coffee and never ever felt rushed. ABSOLUTLY The best Cheesesteak you will have, Their Cheesesteaks, even the chicken cheesesteak sandwiches are Awesome! Forget Philadelphia, Forget Pats & Genos...Drive straight to Hunt's ....This is not "formula food" like Perkins or the Waffle house, Nothing fancy, just good, make that great homecooked breakfast sandwiches,eggs & pancakes, and of course GREAT french fries. Don't let the limited menu fool you. Very , very fair prices & breakfast specials make this place a true Gem in the heart of Gettysburg. Enjoy!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“Good or Great?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We found the food to be good but hardly great. The cheese steak we had was on a good roll but lacked the onions we had ordered on it and was just average for a true Philly sandwich. The fries were greasy but the prices were very reasonable. We all enjoyed our lunches but traffic and parking made this a difficult stop. Our helpful hint would be to have quarters with you for the many parking meters in the area.

• Visited September 2012