“Small place, huge portions” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 113 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Good for: Bar scene
Lancaster, PA
“Small place, huge portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I made reservations for O'Rorke's with some trepidation after seeing some recent reviews. We met friends for dinner as Gettysburg was a good midway point. The place is ion a good location just off the main strip between the town and battlefield.
The seating area itself is very small and the staff has be very skilled to navigate around the tables. Lots of old wood and low ceilings do give the place the feel of an Irish pub. We had a great table next to the huge old fireplace. Our server, Paige, was extremely attentive and helpful in picking menu items. Service was not fast but we were not in any hurry either. I am glad we made reservations because the line was out the door
I thought the appetizers were a bit pricey until I saw them being served to other tables and realized how huge they were. My wife had the shepherd pie potato skins appetizer as her dinner and still had a hard time finishing them. Be aware that the menu is not Irish pub grub. One friend got a salmon quesadilla, and the taco salad looks like it could feed a family.
There was an extremely loud group in the bar when we arrived but it appeared the manager said something to them because they quickly quieted down.
Not a great amount of beers on tap, which surprised me. However, a nice dining experience and we would probably go back again if we are in Gettysburg.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Delaware, Ohio
“slow service and poor food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

the service was slow eveb though they did not appear the least bit crowded. The food was right off the GFS truck; the Smithwick on tap was off-taste.

I cannot recommend this to anyone for anything.

Ruby, Michigan, United States
“Pass on this place.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The service was very unfriendly. The food was poor/ok at best. Will not be returning or recommending to anyone!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Littlestown
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I were disappointed in both the service and our meal. Our waitress was just going through the motions, no smile, a rehearsed script, and rushed her way through it. My Reuben sandwich was soggy when it came to me. The coleslaw consisted of only two ingredients, cabbage and mayonnaise, no green pepper, no carrots, no seasoning. The fries were dried up and flavorless. My husband's meal wasn't much better. I doubt we will give it a second chance.

Otisville, New York
“Great pub right on the main strip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We enjoyed an outdoor lunch two days in a row at O'Rorke's. Typical pub fare, plenty of drink options. The pretzels were delicious as were the deep fried pickles (quartered). Vegetarian options are slim, but I liked my grilled cheese with tomato on day one, and the meal-sized spinach salad I had on day two was fantastic. Only thing was they (someone who works there) allowed a party bring their dog to lunch in the covered dining area, which we found tacky (and potentially unsanitary).

Visited August 2013