“Just Average This Time” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 115 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Eclectic
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Herr's Ridge Rd.
Charles Town, West Virginia
“Just Average This Time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2015 NEW

This is a very charming inn and I do look forward to actually staying here in the future but the food was not up to par this time. I think our mistake was coming for lunch during the week when the entire restaurant was empty. Their grille across the way looked much busier. The hostess and waitress were very sweet but my cream of crab soup tasted like it was from the night before and sort of curdled on top. My husband swore his iced tea went bad I really think it was strong and just a brand he's not used to. Turkey sandwich very plain and bun burnt a little. Mayo very disgusting slimy greasy. Yeah I wished I had gone somewhere else for lunch and will next time. I would try again for dinner service on a weekend though because I just love the feel of this colonial inn.

• Visited April 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Paris, TX
“Fine dining date”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015 NEW

Billed as a fine dining establishment the menu didn't disappoint. Started with the baby crab cakes, delish! Light and flaky full of crab, I could have eaten a dozen. They have an extensive wine selection, but no sommelier came by. I'm used to restaurants that have that big of cellar having the expert to curate it. Luckily I knew what I wanted paired with our steak. We had the por deux a 40oz bone in ribeye for 2 cooked to med rare perfection! After such an excellent start, the dessert was disappointing. The bread pudding was reheated and dry. The waitress was appreciative of our honest feedback but it remained dry and hard on the plate and the bill. The apple cobbler was tasty but nothing special. We'd de go back for the crab cakes and steak, but I'd skip the dessert and get ice cream in town.

Heather our waitress was excellent. Friendly and timely with courses. Speaking of time, this place takes its time... Don't expect to rush through the meal. Take your time, enjoy each course, talk with your date... But I agree with The Inn, good food and good wine shouldn't be hurried. We were seated promptly for our 7:30pm reservation and left at about 10pm.
The ambiance of the place could use some updating. Our dining room was quite bright for a romantic dinner and the decor hasn't been changed since opening day I bet. I was expecting a bit more historical romance to a place like this. Which also should do better to take advantage of its location to better maximize its view of the battlefield that sits across the road.

The crab cakes and steak were good enough to keep 4 stars, they lost a point due to ambiance and disappointing dessert.

Visited April 2015
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Fine Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2015

Went here tonight to celebrate our 23rd wedding anniversary. We were looking for a fine dining experience -- not just a good meal. We got it! I had the filet mignon while my husband & daughter both had the Wagyu chip steak. Both entrees were amazing!!! The flavors of the two cuts were wonderful. The portions of meat were generous. And, the presentations were a delight to the eye. The sides that came with the meals were flavorful but their portion sizes, while acceptable, could have been just a tad larger for me. The service of the wait staff was impeccable -- attentive but not overbearing. The pace of the meal was steady but leisurely. To top the evening off the daughter & I each had a dessert and coffee. My chocolate, chocolate cheese cake was quite good but not as creamy as I would like. {I guess I'm just spoiled for New York style cheese cake.} My daughter's dessert was a specialty for the night. She can't tell me its name but she says all she knows is it was chocolate and yummy. I had a taste. It was yummy. The coffee also was really good. I hate when you have a lovely dessert but the coffee is just average or so-so. For me that just distracts from the whole meal. That was not the case tonight. The coffee was as carefully prepared and served as any other aspect of the meal. It complimented the quality of the desserts and provided a nice overall "finish" to the dinner. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to someone looking for a fine dining experience. It is a little pricey but not unreasonably so. This isn't the sort of place you go to all the time but for special occasions it is perfect. My family and I look forward to returning. Oh, and when I mentioned in passing we were celebrating our anniversary, the waitress brought us complimentary glasses of champagne which were quite delightful. They were a lovely closure to the evening.

• Visited March 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DARIEN
“A foodie restuarant in a historic town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

Outside of urban areas it can be difficult to locate dining comparable to restaurants in cities where you know the restaurants well. The Inn at Herr Ridge is the kind of restaurant you want to find everywhere. They employ a farm to table dining cuisine and execute it well with dishes that are familiar (steaks) and more adventuresome.

The meats and vegetables were well thought out and prepared in this gem. The building looks historic although I didn't look into it's history. We went there for our anniversary while traveling for pleasure and were pleased with our food, wine and the ambiance.

Booking is easy with OpenTable.

• Visited March 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, Pennsylvania
“Great Service Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

From the time at the bar waiting for our table to the dessert everything was perfect. The food, the staff, the presentation. I had scallops which were wonderful but I must say those who had the filet had an even better meal. The Inn has been very well preserved. It feels like you are right back in the history you are searching for in Gettysburg.

• Visited February 2015