“Historical & fun” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Plainview, New York
“Historical & fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Enjoyed this restaurant. Good food and very friendly staff. Would definitely recommend it. We ate there twice because we enjoyed it the first evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
louisville, ky
“History all around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

At the end of August we had the chance to visit Gettysburg. We had read about the Dobbin House on Trip Advisor and wanted to dine there at least once. We arrived late on the 29th and found they have both a formal dining room upstairs and a tavern type restaurant downstairs. Upon viewing the menu, and our budget, we opted for the Tavern and are pleased that we did. The atmosphere is what one would expect and the food was outstanding. I believe that the French Onion Soup is the best I have had, including Paris. The service was great and the chance to rehash our tour of the battleground in such an authentic setting completed the day n grand fashion.
I'm sure the upstairs dining room would have been wonderful, but dining in the Tavern was perfect.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, OH
“Neat atmosphere, everything else just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was excited to eat here due to all the positive reviews, possibly from tired travelers where everything seems a bit better.
The building itself is fascinating and really takes you back in time.
We waited about 40 minutes for our table to be called (they always say 15-20 minutes, regardless of wait, since we practically ate on the hostess stand, we heard it repeated many times).
Once seated we waited about ten minutes for our server to acknowledge us. The baked onion soup was definitely the highlight, so I recommend that to anyone. Everything was just kind of blah. Their "special" chicken (I got the sandwich) was bland and dry. My wife felt her dinner was bland as well. Not bad, just rather expensive for what it was and no better than Applebee's.
Oh, and my bourbon came with a potato chip in it. Assuming that's not some sort of Civil War tradition, I think a little more care should be taken by the bartender/server.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Grand Island, NY
“Tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was interested to visit this restaurant because of it's historical significance. Built in 1776, it was part of the Underground Railroad. However, the fact that the building is original doesn't forgive the overall appearance. It needs a good cleaning! The rugs on the floor are so beaten down that they appear to be imbedded in the floors...which, by the way, are beautiful, although not taken care of.
In the dining room, most of the chairs are wood but there are a couple of upholstered wing chairs. The fabric was worn, and dirty looking. I wouldn't have wanted to sit in one.
Our waitress was efficient but robot like, reciting in the same way to each table. No personal touches here!
The staff wore period costume, again, very tired looking and all in need of a good wash and some ironing. The salads and entrees were good but the much touted bread basket was mediocre. The prices were high for the appetizers and specials. All in all, it's a place that has potential but I wouldn't highly recommend it.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Medford, New Jersey
“Such a beautiful place, huge disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Last night I went there and this was the #1 restaurant I was looking forward to. First off let me tell you this place if judged by looks alone is gorgeous. I loved the basement tavern, the gift shop, the adorable entry, the entry with the hanging turkey for the restaurant above we ate at, the fake bed booths, the hidden slave room. It is a stunning place to see. But the food hit rock bottom upstairs. We sat at a regular table after waiting a half hour past our reservation. They constantly kept moving tables around us for groups that never showed up. Then they moved them again! Your squeezed in tight in some areas and constantly they kept bumping into my elderly mother. When we got the waiter after another 30 minutes, he got our drinks and said he be right back. 15 minutes later he took our order. He didn't even listen to my mother or me as he was so busy getting ready to rush to another table. He ordered our meal which came 35 minutes later. Luckily we enjoyed the breads. We were starved. Then we got our salads. Mine was just leafy lettuces, kale, romaine and a quarter of a tomato. That's it. My mother got a huge Caesar salad. She asked the waiter and he looked at her blankly and left. She never ordered it. A long time later our meal came. It was horrible. We both had prime rib. Mine medium, hers we'll done. She got concrete, I got a half medium, half raw portion. My sweet potato was water logged and tasted like it sat too long. It ALS was the smallest sweet potato I ever saw. My mothers potato was half cooked. The only thing I enjoyed was my delicious sangria and the bread basket. What a huge let down. When we told the waiter my mothers meat was like concrete he just went and got the bill. We also left him no tip. He was the worst waiter we ever had. What a shame. They need to get organized better.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere