“Very good Italian comfort food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very good Italian comfort food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

After a day touring Gettysburg, it is nice to have dinner in a quiet restaurant with very good food. Chose the restaurant because it was off the main drag and there was not a long wait. Others were drawn to noisy pubs. I chose the promise of good Italian food. In and my friends were not disappointed. The staff was friendly. The pasta carbonara was delightful. Friend reported that their veal dishes were also quite good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great Italian Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Have nothing bad to say about our experience at this restaurant other than they were out of prosciutto. However, the antipasto with the wonderful mozzarella cheese and tomatoes was fantastic. Our salads were fresh and the dressing delicious. Same for the entrees - simply well prepared, authentic and tasty. Desserts were good but this is the only item where one of us was a little disappointed. The gelato was great. The tiramisu however was only average. However, I will not hesitate to go back the next time I am in Gettysburg.

Visited July 2013
“Very good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We arrived around 5 p.m. and beat the supper crowd. Appears to be non-smoking establishment. I ordered spaghetti with oil and garlic - lots of garlic came with my meal! So, that's what I ordered. It was superb. I also requested a meatball on the side - it was HUGE, and I loved it! My husband's meal was delicious. We left too full for dessert.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Bad, bad, bad!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Honestly, this was the worst food I ever ate. Although I was very hungry, I really could not eat my dinner. I felt nauseous the entire evening from the little food I did eat. Their red sauce was pure tomato paste and it was disgusting. Even the wine was awful. Despite the low prices, I felt robbed because of the awful food. In addition, the service was very slow with a waitress who clearly wanted to be somewhere else. After my first bite, I did too!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bergen County, NJ
“Night of Apologies”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I visited Mamma Ventura's during Gettysburg's busy battle anniversary week. Like all restaurants in town, it was crowded and there was a wait. But customers coming out were not happy and neither was I and neither were the tables all about me. The hostess was a bit frazzled by the incoming hungry guests and left her post often to do whatever, while confused guests coming in started signing themselves in to the wait list which annoyed her each time she returned. The waitress was beyond frazzled and appeared ready to have a nervous breakdown. Each and every table around me, including myself, had orders that were delivered wrong which made other table waits even longer. All around, it should have been a night and round of apologies to customers except no "I'm sorry" was ever heard. And the food was mediocre at best when it finally did arrive correctly. For a restaurant that has been in Gettysburg as long as Mamma Ventura's has, the crowds that come in to town should not be a surprise and they should double up their staff - hostessing, waitresses, and cooks to accommodate the crowds - and keep their waitress from nearly suffering a heart attack not just from being busy but by dealing with the disgruntled guests. This used to be my favorite restaurant in town and I'd visit it each day while I was in town, this time one visit was enough and I will think twice about returning again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere