“Great & Terrible at the same time?” 3 of 5 stars

Aspire Gettysburg Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2634-A Emmitsburg Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Great & Terrible at the same time?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Just went to the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg. This hotel's location to the National Military Park is fabulous! The air condition worked great. The shower pressure was wonderful after a long day of site seeing. The light music playing in lobby was relaxing. Front desk service was super friendly. Room 335 was very spacious and had everything we needed. However, I am not sure why the the walls and furniture were so worn looking when the front desk told me they have only been open for a few months. Felt like the stocked the hotel with used items. We had one of the worst restaurant experiences of our life at the adjoing restaurant called Richards. The decor looks like left over home interiors. The service and food were horrible. My meal came out way later than everyone else's. Our bill had a $9 dessert on it that we didn't order. I waited 30 minutes after I asked for the check and finally had to get up and get it from the hostess myself. My mom actually got sick later that night from the chicken parmesan she ate there. When I got up to the counter to pay since my waitress was never coming for our check, another man was trying to solve a bill problem too. The restaurant wasn't very crowded at the time, but had some new workers. The food definitley wasn't worth the price. I would recommend staying at the Aspire, but don't eat at Richards.

Room Tip: Room 335 was very spacious and had two king sized beds.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
White River Junction, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed for two days. When we arrived there was a mix up on our room and the manager, Ryan, held two rooms for us to decide which one we wanted. As all hotels were booked, it was a class act to hold two rooms until we reviewed them. In addition, the staff and manager were friendly and helpful on places to check out. If you go to the hotel restaurant, I would recommend the bourbon pork.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We recently travelled to Gettysburg, PA for the 150th celebration of the Civil War Battle. We originally booked a neighboring motor lodge several months earlier. Upon arrival at the original site, we learned that that hotel had raised its rates and that their pool was closed. Refusing to accept those conditions, we were foced to search for alternate lodging. I had remembered seeing that the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel was located nearby while searching for hotels and decided to stop by in person to see if they had any vacancies despite having seen that it was listed as sold out on a travel site. Upon arrival at the Aspire, I met Mike Mulligan who reassured me that he had an open room. He even agreed to honor the rate that I had found when researching the room weeks ago. He took interest in my family, greeting us each time we passed through the lobby. He even offered us free passes to an adjoining family fun center. The hotel was clean, the rooms were clean and spacious, and the indoor pool was phenomenal. The hotel is located two miles away from the battlefield and keeps you out of the downtown traffic. Te hotel and staff are excellent. We had a great stay. Thank you again, Mr. Mulligan!

Room Tip: The hotel offers dual King bed suites with refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Aspire Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Darric B

What a great review of the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel, I can see we helped make your trip to Gettysburg successful! This is wonderful news and I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations.

Your comments about our hotel, its cleanliness, our spacious rooms and our phenomenal indoor pool are wonderful to read. But I must say the comment about our staff member Mike and how he embraced your family needs and welcomed you to our hotel was absolutely the best! So, thanks.

We appreciate the gracious review you posted and for letting the world know that the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel "Saved" your vacation.

Oh, the Laser Tag arena is now open at the Gettysburg Family Amusement Complex...so come back soon

Marion, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Hotel could use some updates but seemed better than the hotel it is attached to and shares the fitness center, pool, and restaurant with. The rooms were very spacious, we had a double queen room and the high ceilings make the room very comfortable. The couch was very outdated, I worked from the desk a bit and it was comfortable and well lit. Bathroom was fine with good water pressure that is important to me.

We had one issue with some bugs we found in our room the first night. They were similar to what I call water bugs that you would find in your basement. We found 4 in our room before bed so that made sleeping a bit restless. Reported it to the hotel staff the next morning and never saw another bug the rest of the trip. The must have sprayed or something. The staff was very concerned and got right on it, we appreciated that.

Beds were comfortable, we bring our own pillows but they seemed fine.

The pool was strange. It was in the older attached hotel and the room was very dark and warm. The pool is divided into 2 sections, one that is 5' deep and the other 2' deep. There were no lights in the 2' sections so I was really keeping a close watch on kids around the pool to make sure they were jumping in expecting deeper water. The 5' section did have lights.

Desk staff were very nice, greeted us on entry and exit. Hotel was a short trip to Gettysburg sites and that was why we were there. I'd stay here again.

I would suggest some information in the rooms about the amenities. We couldn't find any and getting around without the info is difficult with the attached hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the entrance. That is where you will have to park and come in, no side entry.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear MtDuffy

Thanks for posting your review on TripAdvisor and for staying with us at the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel. We always value our guests’ comments.

I am pleased to read that you found our front desk staff “very nice" and that you wrote “I’d stay here again." This is always good news.

As for your comment about our hotel offerings and amenities; that's an excellent idea and we will address this promptly. In fact, we will also add the Gettysburg Family Amusement Complex and its offerings too, since Laser Tag, Mini Golf and Go Kart racing are right next door. Thanks

We appreciate your selecting the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel and look forward to seeing you again.

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were in the "newer" side of the hotel - Aspire. It was a HUGE room for two people. Two double beds and a sleeper sofa and 10 ft. ceilings or higher. There were stains on the floor, walls, a water mark on the ceiling, and a stain on the sleeper sofa. We had a mini-fridge, microwave and small coffee maker. The coffee maker was missing the lid and we had to use a pen to push on the coffee pot to make it drip/brew. There were no bed bugs, the air conditioner worked well, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was nice, not perfectly clean, but fine. The hallway to our room smelled like B.O. but once in the room there was no smell at all. Our friends, also running the race, were in the historic side and did not have a mini-fridge or microwave. Their bathroom was a little more dated than ours and the room was a lot smaller, but felt cozy. They said they found a dead cockroach on the floor. The staff was very nice. While we didn't use the pool, we walked through and they keep it very humid, but it has nice natural light through the sky lights that cover the ceiling. The hotel is located about 7 minutes from the center of town and sight-seeing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was really impressed by the staff and overall comfort of the hotel. I was very impressed as soon as I arrived by the way I was greeted and welcomed to the hotel by Mark Mulligan night time manager.Right from the getgo Mark knew who I was and treated me and my familyin a very friendly manner. Once again I would recommend a stay at the Aspire to all my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Aspire Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Wozwonders

Thanks for staying with us at the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel and for the great review you posted on TripAdvisor. We appreciate both!

It's great to read that we impressed you with our attention to service, hospitality and the general look and cleanliness of the Aspire Hotel. This is fantastic news!

We hope the rest of your trip to Gettysburg was as delightful as your stay at the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel.

Please come back and see us again...

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Rooms were clean and well kept. We stayed in the newer addition of the hotel. The place is huge and spread out! There is a lounge, pool area, snack shop, gift shop, etc. Also a go kart track next to the facility. Breakfast was good but a little on the expensive side (it was a buffet but everything was fresh, if you can eat a lot it is well worth the money!!). All employees were very courteous and helpful. It is right outside of Gettysburg, not even 5 minutes from downtown, and easily accessible.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer addition are HUGE! We had four adults in one room and we weren't cramped.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aspire Gettysburg Hotel? Share your experiences!