“Aspire Saved our Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Aspire Gettysburg Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2634-A Emmitsburg Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Aspire Saved our Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We recently travelled to Gettysburg, PA for the 150th celebration of the Civil War Battle. We originally booked a neighboring motor lodge several months earlier. Upon arrival at the original site, we learned that that hotel had raised its rates and that their pool was closed. Refusing to accept those conditions, we were foced to search for alternate lodging. I had remembered seeing that the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel was located nearby while searching for hotels and decided to stop by in person to see if they had any vacancies despite having seen that it was listed as sold out on a travel site. Upon arrival at the Aspire, I met Mike Mulligan who reassured me that he had an open room. He even agreed to honor the rate that I had found when researching the room weeks ago. He took interest in my family, greeting us each time we passed through the lobby. He even offered us free passes to an adjoining family fun center. The hotel was clean, the rooms were clean and spacious, and the indoor pool was phenomenal. The hotel is located two miles away from the battlefield and keeps you out of the downtown traffic. Te hotel and staff are excellent. We had a great stay. Thank you again, Mr. Mulligan!

Room Tip: The hotel offers dual King bed suites with refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Aspire Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Darric B

What a great review of the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel, I can see we helped make your trip to Gettysburg successful! This is wonderful news and I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations.

Your comments about our hotel, its cleanliness, our spacious rooms and our phenomenal indoor pool are wonderful to read. But I must say the comment about our staff member Mike and how he embraced your family needs and welcomed you to our hotel was absolutely the best! So, thanks.

We appreciate the gracious review you posted and for letting the world know that the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel "Saved" your vacation.

Oh, the Laser Tag arena is now open at the Gettysburg Family Amusement Complex...so come back soon

DRH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Marion, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Hotel could use some updates but seemed better than the hotel it is attached to and shares the fitness center, pool, and restaurant with. The rooms were very spacious, we had a double queen room and the high ceilings make the room very comfortable. The couch was very outdated, I worked from the desk a bit and it was comfortable and well lit. Bathroom was fine with good water pressure that is important to me.

We had one issue with some bugs we found in our room the first night. They were similar to what I call water bugs that you would find in your basement. We found 4 in our room before bed so that made sleeping a bit restless. Reported it to the hotel staff the next morning and never saw another bug the rest of the trip. The must have sprayed or something. The staff was very concerned and got right on it, we appreciated that.

Beds were comfortable, we bring our own pillows but they seemed fine.

The pool was strange. It was in the older attached hotel and the room was very dark and warm. The pool is divided into 2 sections, one that is 5' deep and the other 2' deep. There were no lights in the 2' sections so I was really keeping a close watch on kids around the pool to make sure they were jumping in expecting deeper water. The 5' section did have lights.

Desk staff were very nice, greeted us on entry and exit. Hotel was a short trip to Gettysburg sites and that was why we were there. I'd stay here again.

I would suggest some information in the rooms about the amenities. We couldn't find any and getting around without the info is difficult with the attached hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the entrance. That is where you will have to park and come in, no side entry.
Dear MtDuffy

Thanks for posting your review on TripAdvisor and for staying with us at the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel. We always value our guests’ comments.

I am pleased to read that you found our front desk staff “very nice" and that you wrote “I’d stay here again." This is always good news.

As for your comment about our hotel offerings and amenities; that's an excellent idea and we will address this promptly. In fact, we will also add the Gettysburg Family Amusement Complex and its offerings too, since Laser Tag, Mini Golf and Go Kart racing are right next door. Thanks

We appreciate your selecting the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel and look forward to seeing you again.

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were in the "newer" side of the hotel - Aspire. It was a HUGE room for two people. Two double beds and a sleeper sofa and 10 ft. ceilings or higher. There were stains on the floor, walls, a water mark on the ceiling, and a stain on the sleeper sofa. We had a mini-fridge, microwave and small coffee maker. The coffee maker was missing the lid and we had to use a pen to push on the coffee pot to make it drip/brew. There were no bed bugs, the air conditioner worked well, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was nice, not perfectly clean, but fine. The hallway to our room smelled like B.O. but once in the room there was no smell at all. Our friends, also running the race, were in the historic side and did not have a mini-fridge or microwave. Their bathroom was a little more dated than ours and the room was a lot smaller, but felt cozy. They said they found a dead cockroach on the floor. The staff was very nice. While we didn't use the pool, we walked through and they keep it very humid, but it has nice natural light through the sky lights that cover the ceiling. The hotel is located about 7 minutes from the center of town and sight-seeing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was really impressed by the staff and overall comfort of the hotel. I was very impressed as soon as I arrived by the way I was greeted and welcomed to the hotel by Mark Mulligan night time manager.Right from the getgo Mark knew who I was and treated me and my familyin a very friendly manner. Once again I would recommend a stay at the Aspire to all my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Aspire Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Wozwonders

Thanks for staying with us at the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel and for the great review you posted on TripAdvisor. We appreciate both!

It's great to read that we impressed you with our attention to service, hospitality and the general look and cleanliness of the Aspire Hotel. This is fantastic news!

We hope the rest of your trip to Gettysburg was as delightful as your stay at the Aspire Gettysburg Hotel.

Please come back and see us again...

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Rooms were clean and well kept. We stayed in the newer addition of the hotel. The place is huge and spread out! There is a lounge, pool area, snack shop, gift shop, etc. Also a go kart track next to the facility. Breakfast was good but a little on the expensive side (it was a buffet but everything was fresh, if you can eat a lot it is well worth the money!!). All employees were very courteous and helpful. It is right outside of Gettysburg, not even 5 minutes from downtown, and easily accessible.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer addition are HUGE! We had four adults in one room and we weren't cramped.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here for a tournament and I thought the hotel was actually pretty nice. The rooms were a little outdated, but it was very clean. The staff was very nice as well. The only thing is the pool and restaurant were in a much older hotel that is attached to the Aspire and it is quite a walk.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I went to Aspire with a group. We were told we would be staying in the Eisenhower and, after reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I was dreading the experience and had very low expectations going into the trip. As it happened, Aspire exceeded my expectations. That's not to say that it was the perfect hotel, but it not that bad... my group joked that it was "bad, but not THAT bad." This seems to be an accurate summary for the hotel.

Here are some things you should know:
-This building and the Eisenhower are connected by an above-ground tunnel. Most attractions (pool, resturant, gym, etc.) are in the Eisenhower. It's fairly easy to get lost in the Eisenhower, so be patient as you learn the ins and outs of the hotel.
-Don't have high expectations... some things are just off. The gym equitment was old and missing pieces. I called the front desk for a toothbrush and was told to buy one in the morning. The automatic wake-up calls aren't all that convenient. The logo makes the hotel look like an airline. If you keep your expectations so-so, you will be pleasantly surprised.
-The location of the hotel was convienent and close to town.
-The pool area is unbearably hot. One of the hotel employees had to stand outside in long black pants and a long black shirt. I don't know know how she didn't pass out.
-As others have probably said, the decor is off. I'm talking unaligned pictures, weirdly-place sofas, and an occasional lack of feng shui... get over it and enjoy the trip.
-While the TVs were semi-outdated, they were functional and offered many channels.
-Our room was clean for the most part, but there were a few weird marks in the sink and other surfaces. The hallways were not vacuumed very well. (Note to manager, the glass doors of the Eisenhower were not clean. This did not make a great first impression).
-While the staff is not always as helpful as they could be (there was especially confusion over billing for the Continental breakfast), they were always courteous and kind.
-Safety is an issue. While walking around the hotel, we discovered several outside doors propped open. This was very concerning to my group.
-The food is fine, but nothing special.

There's a lot of negativity up there, so I'd like to say that it was not a bad experience. The hotel had nice beds (very easy to sleep in) and good features. The staff tried to help as much as they could. It's a bit off, but (as I've said 100 times), if you keep your expectations fairly low you will be pleasantly surprised. I would probably stay again.

Room Tip: Don't just stay in your room... the hotel offers lots of features such as a shop, fitness center...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Aspire Gettysburg Hotel? Share your experiences!