“Clean, but not quiet” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Virginia
“Clean, but not quiet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Aspire is the recently renovated wing of the venerable Eisenhower Hotel and Convention Center just south of Gettysburg. The hotel is situated on a beautiful property out in the countryside a few miles from the Gettysburg battlefield.

My wife and I stayed there two nights in April 2013. We found our room to have up-to-date furnishings, new bath fixtures, new carpet, and attractive decor. The bed was comfortable. We were disappointed, however, to learn that their website was in error when it said that amenities include a free continental breakfast. There was NO complimentary breakfast, although the nice lady in the deli in the Eisenhower hotel next door did compliment my shirt when I bought breakfast ($16 for two coffees and two breakfast sandwiches). Hopefully by the time you read this review, they will have either begun offering the breakfast or fixed their website, but do confirm by phone if this amenity is important to you.

Sadly, the walls of this older hotel must not have any sort of insulation or sound proofing. On both nights we were able to hear every word spoken by the couple in the adjoining room. Clearly and distinctly. The crying baby in their room on the second night ensured that we got very little sleep. It was as if the adjoining door blocked sight, but not sound.

Other than the deli, we didn't get a chance to try the onsite restaurant. Note that there is no restaurant or any other sort of shop in the Aspire itself, they are all in the Eisenhower Hotel. There is an enclosed walkway from the Aspire over to the Eisenhower.

Bottom line: I would stay in the Aspire again, but only if I were booking adjoining rooms.

Room Tip: The stairwell doors at the end of each hallway SLAM loudly when they close, so try to avoid the last...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here, or actually at the newer section now called the Aspire Hotel, last weekend. I expected it to be about equal in quality with a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn. The exterior of the hotel is beautiful, which is what led me to think that. Our experience was disappointing. The website claims they have a free continental breakfast, but the only thing we could find was an area of tables and chairs and VENDING MACHINES. My husband ended up going next door to the Eisenhower's deli to buy breakfast for us. And actually, the comment card in our room also mentioned a restaurant and room service, which was astounding since we could find no evidence of either! No mention of them by the front desk staff and no in-room flyers or information cards.

The room was also very substandard. The walls were paper thin, so we could very clearly hear conversations of people passing down the hall and in the next rooms. One night we had to listen to a baby screaming next door for at least three hours, and it's mom and dad talking and trying to comfort it. It would get quiet for about half an hour and then start screaming again, rinse and repeat.

It's my understanding that this is a new hotel. I find it hard to believe, though, because the tub faucet was clearly old and sticky, the mattresses and bedding were old, the pillows were old and flat, either the tv or the remote wouldn't work. It was about the same quality level as a roadside motel, sad to say.

On the plus side, kudos for the free wireless internet which worked well. This is an item that many even 5-star hotels screw up, but the Eisenhower did not. The front desk staff were friendly, but they should tell guests about the breakfast and other amenities (if they exist) when you check in. They did not.

I hear they're continuing to make improvements over the coming year. I hope they do and that my feedback helps them know what areas to focus on.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Aspire Gettysburg Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Aspire Gettysburg Hotel

Address: 2634-A Emmitsburg Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325
Location: United States > Pennsylvania > Gettysburg
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Hotel Class:3 star — Aspire Gettysburg Hotel 3*
The Aspire Gettysburg Hotel is Gettysburg's newest full service hotel. We offer large spacious rooms, family friendly bathrooms, and Double King accommodations. Plus, free WIFI and use of our indoor pool and fitness center are provided. We also feature plenty of private group meeting space. Check-in is at 3pm. Check-out is 11am. Cancellation Policy: 24 hours. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Aspire Gettysburg Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Aspire Gettysburg Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.