“2 Hour Battlefield Ride” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 43 Activities in Gettysburg
Columbia, Maryland
“2 Hour Battlefield Ride”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The website promised to show you the battlefield from a soldier's perspective but did not come close to delivering on this promise. The tour we were given only vaguely resembled what was posted on the website. The tour consisted of limited horseback riding and a lot of sitting in place. At one point we waited along side of the trail for around 20 minutes so that another group that was farther down the trail could pass. The tour guide ran out of things to say as we waited. We were told where the Virginia state moument and Bronze statue of Robert E. Lee but they were barely visible from the trail. Our group was not shown the "Witness Tree", or the "Trostle Barn" with the cannon ball hole as the website said we would see. The only difference from the advertised 1 hour ride was that we were led across Emmitsburg road but stopped immediately for about 10 minutes and began our return to the starting point at McMillan Woods. The website said we would continue to the Trostle Farm and General Sickles headquarers but we did not, we stayed in place. The trip back to the starting point took about a half an hour and completely re-traced our route. During that time no further information was given to us regarding the battle.

We paid for a licenced battlefield guide and a 2 hour tour for the price of $110 per person, and it would not have been worth it at half that price. We felt that the main tour guide was knowledgable but recounted the battle with an obvious bias toward the Confederacy and General Robert E. Lee. Another guide that was with our tour seemed to be very concerned with her pants being too short and that she had worked the night before and was very tired. She added nothing to the experience.

After the tour we picked up a brochure from the visitor's center for the self guided car tour of the battlefield and cemetary. Not only was this tour free but it gave much more information and we saw the entire battlefield, not just the Confederate side. I don't know how any of the other tour companies operate, but I would definately not recommend Cornerstone.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Amazing experience. Wouldn't want to see the battlefields any other way now!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was looking for something different to do for a day trip to start my birthday week and I am sooo happy I was able to experience Gettysburg on horseback with Cornerstone Farms. It was a very pleasant experience from the beginning.

Alice was a delight to work with in gathering information and being able to get all of my questions answered before commiting to the trip. I was very pleased with how quickly she got back to me when I left messages and was pleasant to talk to over the phone. Her detailed directions and preparation instructions made it easy for us to find the meeting place.

As for the horseback ride day, I couldn't have asked for a better day, It was a beautiful fall morning. John (wrangler) and Andie (licensed guide) were kind in working with us on the basics of riding and making us feel comfortable being inexperienced. Andie was very knowledgeable. As we rode down the trail, I felt as if I can visualize the battles taking place as she was describing Pickett's Charge. Her easy going personality made the tour enjoyable and not so formal.

And most of all, I would highly recommend meeting the wonderful experienced horses. Thanks to Ace, Gambler and Shiloh, they made the first horseriding experience a memorable one. (May look into riding more in the future.)

Thank you Cornerstone Farms. We will definitely visit again!

Alexandria, Virginia
“One of the best ways to see Gettysburg's battlefield!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We took a last minute trip to Gettysburg last weekend, and stayed at the Cornerstone Farm B&B. Our hostess, Allie, told us about the guided horseback rides, so we signed up for the two hour tour on Saturday afternoon. We found our way back to the starting point and were warmly greeted by John, who gave us some instructions on turning, stopping, starting the horses. There were only six in our group, and we were glad of the small number. Andie was our guide, and was very knowledgeable about the area and the battles. Seeing it all from the perspective of horseback was such a novel experience. It really helped shape our views of the overall battlefield and history. She was very good about answering questions, and talked to us like family instead of tourists. I especially appreciated that she actually talked to us - we didn't wear headphones and listen to someone that we couldn't see. It was so much more personal and enjoyable that way. I'm sure she's quite hoarse at the end of the day, but her knowledge and expertise, and her willingness to share her experiences with us made it a remarkable journey, and one that forever changed how we viewed the Battle of Gettysburg. I would highly recommend this experience. You don't have to be a good rider. The horses are gentle, and the ride is so interesting you forget that you might be a little sore in the morning! And if you are, it's well worth it!

Old Orchard Beach, Maine
3 attraction reviews
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My BFF and I spent time in Gettysburg and on my bucket-list was riding a horse again (had a stroke 10 years ago) and we found this wonderful place. Yes pricey, but well worth it! Our Wrangler John had so much patience with us ( i kept listing to my weaker side) and our licensed guide Les was truly wonderful in all the knowledge he shared with us. The horses were beautiful, my BFF rode Desi and I was on Gray. We did the 2 hour tour which gave us a perspective from ground level and the battles there. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this experience! Though we were a little saddle sore, we had no regrets at all, so THANK YOU John for giving us an experience to remember!!!
Cindy and Judy from Maine

Visited September 2012
New York City, New York
“Worth every penny - Highly recommended.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My sister and I were checking out all of the places that offer horseback tours at the Gettysburg battlefield and though they were the most expensive, we liked the description of the rides as well as the pictures of the horses at home in their big pasture. We'd intended to call all of the places that offered horseback tours, but never made it to the others. My sister spoke to Allie and told her we wanted to do the two hour licensed battlefied tour and asked how many riders she thought there would be and was told probably six, which sounded great to us. We didn't want to be in a huge group, and, judging from some of the other sites, it didn't seem like such a small group would be possible (we found out later that Cornerstone likes to keep the group size small).

When we got there, we found that there were supposed to be two other people riding with us, but they'd had to cancel at the last minute (we really appreciated that our tour didn't get cancelled even though there were only two of us). Andie was our guide and I can't gush enough about her. She was super knowlegeable about the history and we never once felt like we were being read a script. Andie let us know that we could jump in with a question any time, which we did, and not only was she able to answer or discuss anything we brought up, but if our question steered the conversation in another direction about the battle, she went right with it.

The description of the tour is exactly as stated on the site and, while it would be great to ride near Little Round Top, Devil's Den, etc. (though I'm not sure it would be logistically feasible), this route was, in some ways, more interesting. When we started Andie said she'd be able to convince us that Pickett's Charge was not the ill conceived suicide march it's portrayed to be. As we rode through the woods to the barn where Pickett ordered his men's advance, she gave us a fascinating history of how the battle played out, as well as the days before, when Lee had to make the decision to go to Gettysburg. Andie was just amazing at laying out the action and it was really cool knowing that we rode where Lee, Pickett and Longstreet did and saw the battlefield just as they did, on the top of a horse. And Andie was absolutely right about Pickett's Charge!

As we rode back, we passed a larger group with the lead guide using a microphone (the riders must've had headsets as we couldn't hear anything) and the other guides were walking alongside the horses. That may be what you're looking for in a tour, great if it is, but I was beyond happy with Andie, whose tour was much looser (in terms of her narrative, not at all in terms of safety, etc.) and animated. We actually got goosebumps a couple of times as she described the action that had taken place where we were riding.

In terms of the horses, they were great. My sister and I have experience riding but they seemed totally prepared for riders of any level (and they do ask you about it to match you with a horse). We found out that my sister was riding one of Andie's horses and I was riding one of our wrangler's; we liked that the horses are theirs and they really seemed to care for them (we were even able to bring carrots as a treat after the ride; no apples as one of the horses is allergic!).

We just loved this tour and definitely plan to go back for another, longer one next year. Oh, and while we didn't take it, we did see General Lee as he came back from a ride and he looked great. My sister and I both highly recommend Cornerstone Farms Horseback Tours!

Visited August 2012