“Great location but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Federal Pointe Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Save Saved
You added Federal Pointe Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
Federal Pointe Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #3 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
College Park MD
“Great location but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This newly renovated hotel is in a great location for visiting the town, the battlefield or Gettysburg College. The rooms are nice -- especially the beautiful bathrooms. However, our visit was ruined by the discovery of bugs on the seam of our mattress -- under the sheets and the mattress pad. I don't know what they were but the hotel honored our demand to be moved to another room and the management kindly offered us the opportunity to come back for another visit. I doubt we will accept.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We just stayed at the Federal Pointe Inn for one night. We loved this place! The room was clean and quite large enough for our family of 4. The bathroom was nicely done in marble. The staff was very friendly and helpful and made us feel "at home." They also gave us the background of the hotel. It is an old school converted into a hotel and not much impresses my husband but he enjoyed walking around the hotel looking at the Civil War paintings and at how the hotel is decorated. We would definitely stay here again! Also loved the kitty out front!

PA from Virginia

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bergen County, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I selected to stay at this hotel during the 150th battle anniversary because it was the only one available at the time I booked with a decent price and cancellation policy. And being newly renovated, I thought it would be perfect. When I booked ( a year in advance), I asked for a quiet room and one with no bug history. At check-in, I repeated these concerns. I was given a room which had the hotel's HVAC unit just outside the window so all I ever heard was the hum of the HVAC unit. I can't say I heard guests next door nor road traffic because if there was any, the HVAC unit hummed drowned it out. So they did not accommodate my request for a quiet room. As for bugs, this room was full of them - lady bugs, carpenter ants, earwings, centipedes (both large and small), millipedes, fireflies, and carpet beetles. Luckily, most of them were dead. After housekeeping came by the next day, the dead bug skeletons remained so obviously they don't clean up the rooms well - also attested by the coatings of dust found throughout the room and by the garbage I saw behind the dresser. The next day I left a note for housekeeping to please clean up the dead bugs. They did not! So I'm wondering if they ever do? How long have these dead bugs been here? So I cleaned them up. It was much nicer to be in room without bugs. So they also did not honor my request for a room with a bug-free history. Now it's possible that the bugs came in because the room was cool and the HVAC unit was hot and/or blew them in. The windows, in particular the screens were gross and dirty. Filled with spider webs and more dead bugs and just disgusting. I kept the curtains drawn my entire stay because the view of the HVAC unit and the dirty screens were just too disgusting to look at.

The rooms do indeed have high ceilings but the problem is lighting. Lights on the ceiling are not bright enough for people height. There are some lamps but do not provide enough light either. The toiletries have some funky fragrances that someone with allergies will not want to try, so bring your own. I was in a king room with a very odd layout, somewhat roomy but not in the right places. The bed was a king but the box spring was two twins so it got lumpy fast. One nice touch was two small bottle of waters provided each day. I did see a tea machine in the lobby but never saw a single scone. The lobby is small and not welcoming but the first floor hallway did have chairs where guests could sit and relax and talk.

While newly renovated, it was not entirely renovated for instance the walls and windowsills were not renovated, very old. Some of the furnishings were chipped so either they were inexpensive or supposed to be providing some sort of "look". The shower is granite which is beautiful but the soap holder shelf was too high for me to reach, the granite got slippery from using the soap, and there was no handrail - a great way to slip and fall. There are no full length mirrors which was a big disappointment.

I took a walk around the hotel and noted that only a caveman would accept a room on the first floor which is basically the basement. It is more dark and cold down there. The handicapped room is down there so be prepared if that' what you want. I wouldn't. The wheelchair ramp goes from the parking lot down to the basement level. The first floor has a wheelchair ramp that you can take to the "second" floor. The third floor can only be reached by two flights of stairs (because of the high ceilings).

The parking lot is small but the hotel only has 18 rooms. It is dark and full of insects. The restaurant nearby is convenient for breakfast since the hotel does not provide anything.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is away from the center of town by a few blocks so there are many back roads you can take to get around town and avoid traffic. There is also a small market nearby to pick up snacks and drinks and breakfast items.

Room Tip: Away from HVAC unit. Second or third floor. Avoid handicapped room which is in basement.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Federal_Pointe, Owner at Federal Pointe Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We are grateful to the hundreds of guest that have stayed with us and post accurate protrayals of our award winning hotel. This posting is a misguided attempt at untruths and Inaccuracies!
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Not entirely sure what to make of this place. The building is nice and the rooms are fine (although avoid basement room if you prefer more natural light).
The only staff seem to be on reception - this isn't a conventional hotel so this is understandable. They were always a bit subdued and this contributed to a slightly eerie,off-putting atmosphere - non descript is maybe more accurate.
Reviews for the recommended place for breakfast weren't great so we went into town (10 minutes walk although many of the museums were at the other end of the main street which is another 20 minutes walk or so).
There are other more expensive hotels in town at each end of the main street and we chose this one partly based on price which wasn't cheap but cheaper than the others. On reflection, as Gettysburg is pricey anyway, we should have bitten the bullet and paid more for somewhere more surrounded by restaurants,shops etc.
The potential is there at Federal Pointe but it would need to become a more conventional hotel offering even a light breakfast and bar facilities along with enthusiastic staff to enable it to compete with the more central hotels.

Room Tip: Avooid basement room if you want some natural light
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Federal Pointe Inn. The hotel staff went above and beyond to ensure our every need was met. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of many of the interesting places in Gettysburg. I will definitely stay here again!!!!!!

The rooms are comfortable and nicely appointed! Very cool place!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Clifford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Researched thoroughly before booking reservation. Did not disappoint our entire stay. This is an old school that has been completely updated and modernized into a beautiful hotel. The staff was friendly and the rooms were beautiful and large (awesome high ceilings!). We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

From the beautifully landscaped grounds to the details in the common areas and rooms, everything here has been considered down to the smallest detail. This building retains its charm as an old school and the owners have done a wonderful job keeping many of the original details (such as the chalkboard behind the check-in desk and the transom windows). The windows are reminiscent of the old school and the original architect's name can be seen in the stone entrance. We were greeted as we approached from the parking lot and Sandy at the front desk showed us right to our room. She pointed out many of the details of the old school as well as the beautiful civil war artwork done by a local artist. We were lucky enough to have room 205 which has an extra sitting room that just happens to be the original front entrance to the school. So cool! Every afternoon they have tea and scones in the main hallway and yesterday they even had a cake to celebrate their first anniversary in business. At checkout today, I met the owner who wanted to be sure we had enjoyed our stay. The only downside to our stay (because this is an old building) is the sounds you can hear occasionally from other rooms. The guests above us woke us up at about 2:30am as they kept walking around their room and I could hear the guests in the next bathroom this morning. Overall though, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and will recommend it to anyone visiting Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Room 205 has the extra sitting room that used to be the front entrance of the school.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Federal Pointe Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!