“Unexpectedly Wonderful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Unexpectedly Wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My husband and I just returned from a conference here. The day before our departure, I'd read a lengthy and scathing review of the hotel, so I called and spoke with John Crebbs. He knew of the review and said they were checking into the complaints that had been itemized. He also said we were booked in the newer section and reassured me.
Still a bit nervous, I actually saw John at the Front Desk of the Eisenhower. The spacious lobby, with marble floors and dark wood accents was quite nice, so I was dismayed when John said we were booked in the adjacent property, part of the complex.
When we got to check-in, I told the desk clerk, Elizabeth Taylor (yes, a pretty young brunette with an easy-to-recall name!) that I'd spoken to John and had asked that he note we requested early check-in. She said they were booked, but that a room would be available in about 3 1/2 hours--still two hours shy of normal check-in time, but the worst news for me, a very weary traveler who was only accompanying her husband and not included in the seminars and trainings.
Miss Taylor looked at me for an instant and correctly surmised that I really need rest and found a room for us.
The spaciousness of the room is truly noteworthy--probably triple the square feet our the room we stayed in at my beloved Omni Parker House Hotel in Boston--with two king-sized beds, perfectly and comfortably made with four plump pillows each, a full-sized couch, desk, two chairs and ottoman, and mini-kitchen, plus a good-sized bathroom--all in absolutely pristine condition.
But aside from the amenities, it was the staff--most especially Miss T., but also the night clerk, and John, my initial contact--that impressed me most. I really don't know how I would have made it to the evening events, had I not been able to rest soon after our arrival, and all thanks to Elizabeth T!
I'm happy to see other good reviews of this facility because the highly negative one cast such a pall and certainly caused trepidation on my part.
The banquet dinner for our large group offered a nice range of good food, and the only difficulty was in keeping the food replenished.
Top-notch care for guests, despite a large wedding and a large conference on the same weekend. No small feat for this fine establishment, situated on a lovely piece of rolling hills in the bucolic countryside of Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Our room was on the lobby floor, last one down the hall and it was SUPER quiet--bliss!!
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Cape Coral, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My husband and I spent the weekend at this beautiful hotel! The hotel does need updating and they are in the process of doing that. However, don't let that keep you away! The rooms were very clean with excellent water pressure in the shower and comfortable beds. The staff was incredible! We needed a refrigerator in our room and one was brought to us immediately. Joe, the GM gave us all the information we could possibly need about what to see and do and what to avoid! He continued to check on us our entire stay! Very personalized attention. The deli had very good food. The only thing I would say is that, besides needing updates, the amenities offered could have more availability, but we honestly spent more time in town taking in the sights.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I will say as many have said yes the hotel is serious need of some updates. You can tell it was built a while ago, I have no idea what decade my hair dryer was from. Wall paper peeling in some areas, light that only seemed to work 50% of the time and carpet could used replaced. It is not super close to the action of town but within a few minutes you can be at the battlefields.

I may normally give it a 3 star but I am doing 4 for several reasons. One, though dated, the room was clean. Even though dated, I still kind of like the vintage charm. I can imagine what an exciting place it was when it first opened. Two the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Next the ballroom and some of the facilities were much nicer. The food was pretty good at a banquet we attended while there. Finally the biggest reason for the extra star and probably why some of the rooms are dated; is they allowed us to bring our dogs. We were in town for Greyhounds in Gettysburg and this hotel is right next to where all the festivities were. They were super nice and very accommodating to those of us who brought our fur babies to the event. I can imagine running a property that allows pets can be a little harder to maintain. Thanks to the staff for being such good hosts and we look forward to staying there at future events.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We arrived in Gettysburg ahead of schedule. That put us into a bind with a place to stay. We were referred by another hotel and pretty much everything was full. We did check in to a one fabulously over-priced room. Years ago, this was probably a lovely hotel. Now, it is run down and shabby. The food was a bit expensive, but very good. The staff was extremely well trained. We did stay two nights as it was quiet, safe and there were no hazards in our room. It did have termites which we reported. All in all, I kept thinking that I would run into Stephen King.....

Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I never write reviews and I am pretty laid back about most things but this stay was so awful I felt an obligation to warn fellow travelers about what they are getting into.

We thought we were getting a deal. We booked through my employee discount site and thought it was a bargain. Until we actually checked in.

The hotel smelled moldy and musty. That's because the room was full of mold!!! Go figure. There was mold in the shower tiles, on the sink and on the ceiling. The carpet was so filthy that my boyfriend and I kept our socks on the whole time. We originally booked it for 3 nights but could only stand it for one. The only reason we stayed that one night was because we were told everything else in town was booked for some event going on over the weekend. We had just driven 9 hours from Indianapolis and the thought of driving to another town did not appeal to us.

The sofa was filthy. The wallpaper was peeling. The ceiling was falling down. There was a crack in the sink linoleum. There was about an inch of dust along the perimeter of the room. I am not exaggerating. Once I figure out how to post the pictures of it I will. Everything was dirty and dusty. There was a hole in the cheap blanket on the bed.

We were looking forward to spending a romantic weekend away, had a great drive to Gettysburg but this hotel definitely put a damper on things. We could not wait to get out of there. We found a nice CLEAN room at Old Country Inn and Suites in Chambersburg.

The only reason I am even giving this a 1 rating is that John the desk representative was very nice and extremely accommodating when I had problems booking the room initially. I feel sorry for him that he has to work for this hotel. It is appalling.

I cannot believe that the board of health has not shut this place down. It cannot be healthy to sleep in that must, mold, mildew, dirt filled room. One of the other reviewers mentioned he has a respiratory infection. I don't know if I have an infection but I have been fighting something since I returned home.

I had to write this review. My boyfriend was so pissed that he had to pay anything for staying here that the words he would use would be blocked.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Anywhere else.
Bowling Green, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed at hotel because it was close to all of the activities for the yearly greyhound gathering. The first thing I noticed when my wife and I entered the building was the musty odor (which probably explains the respiratory infection I now have). Once we got to our room my key wouldn't work (heard several complaints from other guests with same problem). The room itself wasn't overly large, but was in very poor condition, All of the bathroom faucets looked like they hadn't been cleaned for a month. Wallpaper was peeling and ripped in several spots. One lampshade was ripped. Stains on the box spring covers. Beds were old. No vinyl baseboard. The balcony was extremely dirty. Dusty, several furballs and dried food on floor of deck, and the glass table was dirty. We could see dust on the fans in the pool area from our room. Only ordered room service on first night, which was barely average at best, not to mention overpriced. If I was the owner(s) of this hotel I would be extremely embarrassed with the overall condition. We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
OC, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It is a large hotel that is a convention center, but they don't seem to know how to prepare for conventions or banquets. Food items at the banquet buffet were constantly empty, and it took a while for them to be refilled causing dozens to stand waiting with half filled plates. The ice cream dessert was put out when the dinner buffet started so it just liquid after several 100 got through the buffet line and ate.

The following morning standard breakfast items like sausage or some bakery items were out of stock early into what I'd consider breakfast hours. The one bar we went to had meager stock and fewer setups - no Bloody Marys, no pina koladas.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!