“Fairly good option for Gettysburg” 3 of 5 stars

Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2634 Emmitsburg Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Madison, Wisconsin
“Fairly good option for Gettysburg”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I spent one night at this hotel while in Gettysburg. It was a fine stay. My room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and the price was good. The only thing I found slightly inconvenient was that it wasn't the easiest to find when heading south from the PA Turnpike. But, if you have a GPS this would probably be easier.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
durham,nc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

If you are looking for a "battlefield-type experience", complete with the deplorable conditions, filth, and danger associated with the battle at Gettysburg, you may actually enjoy this facility. If you are looking for a clean room, comfortable bed, modern appliances (now I know where non-HD TVs go to die), you will not be happy here.
I stayed here during a soccer tournament and could only endure one night. The room was filthy (there was what appeared to be pubic hair on the sheets of the pull-out couch), stains on the cushions and carpet, wallpaper peeling off the wall, and a bed that should have been replaced probably ten years ago. The water temperature fluctuated between tolerable to scalding and there were two protrusions extending from the box spring area toward the side of the bed. Either piece was fully capable of slicing your leg or injuring your shins (fortunately the room was so filthy that I was looking carefully for bugs/critters when I saw these two things sticking out).

I could have taken the noise from the pool and the ventilation system if it weren't for the sense I had that I was going to become the new home for lots of bugs and I could not find any redeeming values. Speaking of values, since this felt like what I assume an "hourly hotel" might provide, the price was no bargain ($165 per night group rate).

All of the above said, several others in the group had slightly better rooms (one even had a flat screen TV with multiple channels so he had lots of friends enjoying his TV) so it is conceivable that I hit the bottom of the barrel. In any event, I left "Ike" and found a small Sleep Inn that was clean, had an ok edible breakfast, and only cost $30 more. That was for a king suite with jetted tub.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I'm not a big fan of writing bad reviews, but if you are looking for a place to stay in Gettysburg PA, then look somewhere else. My family and I have stayed here several times in the past years and never had a problem.

When we called to reserve the room, we asked for a room near the pool. The lady on the phone said there was one available. Great. The room was booked and paid for. We arrived at the hotel only to be told that we were no longer near the pool but instead put in a room facing the back of the hotel away from everyone like we had some sort of highly contagious disease. Needless to say we were not pleased and were simply told those rooms were blocked by soccer teams.

From there, the stay just got worse. 1.There was only one elevator in the hotel so where our room was located we had to go way out of our way to get our luggage to the room. 2. Parts of the curtain were laying on the window sill. 3. Several of the electrical outlets didn't work (they had no power going to them). 4. One of the lamps didn't have a bulb in it. 5. When the housekeeper came in the next morning to fix the room, we noticed she didn't leave us any toilet paper. Thank goodness we brought flushable wipes with us or we would have been SOL and 6. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON NOT TO BOOK WITH THIS HOTEL: HEAD LICE. We requested a roll away bed for our little girl. Got it fine. Next day we went out about town came back later in the afternoon and took a "bug" out of my daughters hair thinking nothing of it because we were walking outside most of the afternoon. Went to bed ( housekeeper didn't change the sheets on any of the beds), got back home only to pick out another "big" only to finally realize my daughter had head lice. Did a head check on her and she did indeed have head lice.

Needless to say I won't be staying here ever again.

• Stayed May 2013
InnsOfDistinction, General Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you very much for taking a moment to share with us your experience here at the Eisenhower Hotel. We truly value our selves in customer service and do not take it lightly that our guest experience was not a pleasant one.

I wish to take a moment to address each statement you have made by beginning with the "Lice" issue.

"Even though it’s not yet summer, lots of families are planning vacations. One thing anyone traveling on vacation should include in their plans is how to avoid getting head lice. Nothing will throw all plans into a frenzy more than discovering a case of head lice upon arrival at your hotel or a friend’s home. It can affect anyone in the family…one case can lead to many more. However, it’s not easy avoiding head lice. Tourist attractions sometimes involves close contact with family members as well as well strangers at various venues—amusement parks, movies, theaters, concerts, museums, zoos, etc. Head lice love any place where a head can meet a head. Lice can easily move from a plane or movie seat to a head. Person to person contact anywhere in the world while in lines for rides or tickets can result in lice infestations for scores of people and send them frantically in search of treatment for head lice. Again, head lice cannot be contracted from a bed, again it is close head to head contact.

The request for a specific room type is always a top priority but it is only a request. We strive to fulfill each guest request and we are very disappointed that you may not have been informed of the policy of requests. What we have done to ensure that no other guest experience on room request occurs is by re-training our front desk staff and reservationists to better communicate this policy. With today's various independent booking systems, specific room types can be easily oversold and we strive to ensure that we limit high demand room types like pool side.

Your room not being cleaned during your stay is not a policy of our hotel. The only reason this may have happened and I cannot be specific to your stay but our maids are on schedule 7 days a week, 10 hours a day. When a room has a do not disturb sign, the room can be easily over looked should that sign be removed after 3pm. I have double checked our procedures on rooms with do not disturb signs and late room cleaning request. I have instructed my team to log these requests as they come across the rooms and then our head housekeeper will personally call each room prior to the maids ending there day to ensure that rooms do get cleaned.

The electrical outlets were out and was from a blown fuse, which was corrected after being informed by you through trip advisor.

We do have house people on staff until 9pm weekdays and 11pm weekends for any and all request from our guest, like needing additional toilet paper or a new light bulb. No it was not acceptable that the maid failed to correct this and we have addressed this issue with her to ensure that she double checks everything in the room.

Again, thank you so very much for taking the time to bring your experience to my attention through Trip Advisor.

Respectfully yours,
Phillip Murray
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Bugs, bugs and more bugs in our room, wish I had brought a fly swatter with me. This hotel has definitely seen better days. Food for the luncheon and dinner were cold, and below par over all. Depending on where your room is, you should definitely bring your walking shoes to get to meeting rooms. Moldy smell through out buildings. Definitely not worth the price they charge for rooms, even with a group rate! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't pick this place.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

I am very disappointed by your review and truly wish I had been given the opportunity to address your concerns during your stay. This hotel does not have mold nor does it smell like mold. The food being cold is a surprise to us, since we checked your date of arrival and departure and noted numerous guest comment cards complementing our Chef for the quality of our food. Regarding needing walking shoes to get around the facility, it is a Conference Center and does require walking from one facility to the next and we do apologize that you were not aware of that.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and only ask in the near future should we have the opportunity to have you back is to contact the General Manager during and prior to your departure, should your stay not meet your expectations.

Respectfully yours,
Phillip Murray
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Starting from check in; the staff is friendly for the most part but they could be friendlier. The hotel is old but it seems like they do their best to keep it maintained. Our room was clean and fairly modern (we were in the convention building to the left side). Probably the biggest thing I can advise folks who plan to stay here is do not eat at the hotel! The little sandwich place is incredibly slow and overpriced. The lady working there was overwhelmed and was not afraid to let customers know it. It took a long time just to get 2 coffees and 2 bagels and the cost was almost $10! The sit down restaurant is also very slow and overpriced but the staff their are capable to do their job. Overall, this is a nice place to stay but do yourself a favor and go someplace else to eat.

• Stayed March 2013
Thurmont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just had my wedding their and it was a HIT! The service was great, the food tasted wonderful, and everything went as planned! I took all of my decorations to them a few days before and they set-up the entire reception room, which looked stunning. ( Made everything a lot less stressful for me). Most places don't offer this option. Also, after only having to meet with the wedding planner (Joe) one time, all of the special activities were in order and on time as I planned. The service was great and there were many waiters for each table, including a special person to wait on the Bride and Groom hand and foot. Once the reception was over many guest, including my self stayed at the hotel. There were no complaints and the hotel accommodated us very well. I was a bit concerned because the dog group was in that same weekend, however it didn't smell like dogs and was very clean. The next morning everyone that stayed had a buffet breakfast, which was just as tasteful as our food the night before. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, especially people planning to have a wedding. The service was great and made my day special!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
PE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Have never stayed in such a filthy place. This hotel is in need of a major renovation!

There are so many things wrong with this hotel that point form seems to be the only way to list.
Leaky stained ceiling throughout
Moldy wallpaper peeling off the walls
Carpets are full of stains and filthy
Toilets not working
Power outages, just certain sections of the hotel.
Rooms rarely cleaned, beds never made
Clean towels, forget it unless you call the front desk
Bugs, killed a lot daily
Recycled food....yup, this was almost the worst. Almost!!

Pulled out the fold out couch and a used condom wrapper is laying in the bed.

This place is a dump no other way to describe it! There a quite a few poor reviews and those folks are right.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!