“Wonderful conference facility!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
“Wonderful conference facility!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying here two nights mid-week for an off-site business retreat last month. The front desk staff was welcoming and all other staff (food service and housekeeping) were friendly. The facility was very nice and the meeting room and guest room accommodations were wonderful. The guest rooms were surprisingly large and well appointed complete with mini-fridge and microwave. There was a nice sitting area with sofa and chair, a desk area, and two queen beds. My bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Just be sure to bring your own hair dryer, as one was not provided. The hotel wi-fi worked well in both the guest rooms and meeting room. The catered buffet breakfast and lunches (these were pre-arranged as a part of our conference package) were very good. This hotel is just a short drive from the battlefield and downtown area and the large expansive grounds were beautiful with the autumn foliage. I highly recommend this facility!

Room Tip: Mid-week is apparently a slow time for the hotel, because our group and maybe two others were the so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Tina C;

Thanks for telling the world about the "wonderful conference” you recently experienced at the Gettysburg Eisenhower Hotel.

We also appreciate your gracious comments about our “surprisingly large and well appointed” clean rooms and how our staff was “welcoming” and “friendly. This is great to read, so thanks!

We have been making some exciting improvements to our guest service standards along with in depth staff training. It appears from your review that these steps are showing through!

Many groups select the Gettysburg Eisenhower for off-site business retreats due to our expansive conference facilities, our prime location and free shuttle to many attractions. Plus, I am sure our indoor pool, free WIFI and 150+ acre resort like grounds helps too.

Perhaps your stunning review will help attract others to meet here as well. Honestly, I loved when you wrote “I highly recommend this facility!

Anyway, thanks again for your stellar review and for taking the time to tell the world about the Gettysburg Eisenhower Hotel and the successful meeting we hosted for your group!

342 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
North Wales, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed at the Eisenhower II (newer building) for an overnight trip to Gettysburg. We stayed in a 2 Queen bed room in the 500s. The room was a lot larger than I had expected and i was plesantly surprised to see a mini fridge and microwave. The room also had a pullout couch, you could have easily fit 4-6 ppl comfortably. The beds were comfortable, room was clean, and there were no complaints about the shower. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012
InnsOfDistinction, Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear OlsenkdNY

I want to thank you for selecting the Eisenhower Hotel and for posting your gracious review about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate both!

I am pleased that you found our "beds were comfortable" plus your "room was clean, and there were no complaints” We are working hard to exceed our guest’s expectations and it seems that we took great care of you!

But honestly, my favorite part of your review is your comment saying that you “Would definitely stay here again"'. This tells me that we have done our job and done it well.

So thanks again for staying with us; please come back again soon and see some of the exciting changes our new management team has planned for the Eisenhower Hotel.

Thanks

Pearl River, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Beautiful property for the hotel, not to far from all the sights. The Hotel is old fashioned. I had a 2 room suite, two bathrooms, which is a plus, however at the time I was there, it was fully booked. There is a major issue with hot water. Apparently their water system is not built to handle a full hotel, so you have to take your showers either mid afternoon, or early evening if you want hot water. The beds are comfortable and they had flat screen TV's. The food served at our banquet dinners and breakfast time were not that good. They served the same breakfast foods that were cold, and had one toaster for approximately 100 people. The dinners served were not tasty at all. If I were to go to Gettysburg again, I would find another hotel. I must mention that I did complain to the front desk manager about the hot water and my hotel bill was adjusted favorably. I think that this hotel would be aware of this hot water situation as I am sure this is not the first time a complaint was made, so I think they should have mention this to me as I checked in, that when there hotel is full, there is an issue with hot water.

Dear TerriH1641,

It seems that there were certain items that you enjoyed at the Eisenhower, such as our prime location, our quality bedding and your large suite and flat screen TV. So, I am pleased to hear this.

Unfortunately, there were others where we let you down, such as your lack of hot water. I am sorry that this occurred, but am happy to hear that our front desk adjusted your bill to your satisfaction.

I am also happy to report that we have identified several new procedures that seem to resolve this challenge. One major change is that we have now scheduled our laundry to start later, so not to compete with guest hot water demands. I am confident that this change will positively impact future guests.

Anyway, we appreciate your business and you helpful comments. We take all reviews seriously and find ways to improve our product and guest standards from TripAdvisor. So, again...thanks.

And if you are ever back in Gettysburg, please stay with us again so you can experience the new positive changes we are making every day!

Montoursville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Staff was courteous and responsive. Knowledgable of area and recommended opportunities. Great location and very close to many sites to enjoy experiencing historic sites good food and easy access. Would recommend staying in rooms in Eisenhower 2.

Room Tip: Stay in eisenhower 2
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ShaunacaJames, Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Ratira,

Thanks for staying with us and for the kind words and positive review you posted on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your business and your gracious comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and that our "staff was courteous and responsive". And from your review, it seems that you also enjoyed our prime location. These are always great to hear. Did you ride our FREE shuttle to the battlefield?

Anyway, thanks for selecting the Gettysburg Eisenhower Hotel, come back and see us soon!
Zimmerman, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

..... well kept. However the inside of the Hotel is in need of huge repairs.
We stayed at this Hotel October of 2012 in room 111. This is the Older more run down section of the hotel. When we arrived to our room, we saw wall paper which is wrinkled and lifting and torn in some areas near the base boards. The carpet had a Huge stain just in front of one of the two beds and the carpet was dirty through out. The furniture was okay. There are two sinks in this room (and the other rooms I saw as friends were there - had the same. House keeping left us 3 bath towels (for TWO full grown Adults) every day, along with 2 Hand towels and 3 wash cloths. They did leave a bar of soap for 1 sink and the bathtub daily, along with a small sample of shampoo. I would take one of the hand towels out of the bathroom and put it in the wrack by the outside sink. after the first day - I took the second hand soap and put it on the outside sink area. I didn't quite understand why the hotel would have two sinks, and not supply BOTH of them? The light above the sink in the bathroom was leaking water from somewhere above, and 'hanging' on 3 sides from the ceiling - in danger of falling off. The ceiling tiles looked damp at one time - and the room smelled musty and nasty. Our suitcases, and belongings with in, as well as our dog's beds also wreaked of the odor after we got home from spending 4 and 1/2 days in this hotel. The window was not able to be opened - I tried to open it to air it out - but the lever was broken and would just turn around independently. Our amenities consisted of a hair dryer, a Mr. Coffee Coffee pot (which was never used, as we don't drink coffee) and a iron / ironing board.
Our room was on the first floor. When taking the dogs out back to exercise, there were haphazard electrical wires dangling from one of the light posts. Very scary looking! There is a shed where wild kitties live beneath I think and there is a pan of cat food available to those cats.
The door to our room was an issue too. It took 3 or 4 tries to "unlock it with the electric key card"! Others said the same thing.
There is "free wifi" - if you are in the newer end of the hotel. There is NO signal in room 111, and I was unable to get internet access unless I was in the conference center areas.
I was there for a dog show along with a BIG group of others. The hotel charged $30 for having dogs in the room. I think for the most part, the staff was okay with the dogs there. There were several Very nice staff members, and our house keeper seemed to work very hard, and was friendly. Our hotel bill was just under $600 for the time there, we supposedly got a "special rate". However it is the Same rate for the run down, in dire need of repair end of the Hotel, as it was in the newer better kept (according to those who had rooms on that end) end of the Hotel. In those rooms there was also a Microwave and Refrigerator I was told, as well as the amenities we had in our dreary room.
My friends tried 3 other rooms before settling with the one they stayed in. The first one was said to be horribly Musty smelling, the second one smelled of bug spray and the third one *someone was already Occupying!!!!!!* their suitcases and belongings were in the room! They were in room 140 and were able to hook up to wifi. Their room seemed cleaner and not as shabby as our room.
This hotel is needs many dollars of repairs and I would never suggest anyone should stay there!

Room Tip: Go and look at your room before unloading your suitcases. Ask for the new end of the hotel, Stay awa...
Dear Linda W,

We appreciate your staying with us and consider your comments very valuable and pointed. So, thanks.

And while it seems that certain aspects of your stay were less than stellar, I am pleased that you found our staff "very nice", "friendly" and that our house keeper worked "very hard", so this is good to hear.

Please rest assured that your comments are being addressed immediately, by our new management team, housekeeping staff and guest service director. Nonetheless, I am sorry that your accommodations did not meet your expectations.

We do realize that certain rooms need attention and our staff is focused on fixing, deep cleaning and improving our product; some make take longer than others, but we are making strides everyday!

We hope you will return soon so you can witness the positive changes our team is implementing.

Thanks again for your business, your comments and your help in improving our total guest experiences.
Staten Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We picked this hotel because we were attending a wedding and a block of rooms was set aside for the attendees. Check in time for the Hotel is 3 pm - the exact time of the nuptials. Being that I was traveling from out of state and would need to change for the wedding - I called before I booked and asked if I would be able to check in early. I was told that thee were no guarantees but I "could try" when I got there. I was there around noon and inquired as to the possibility of an early check in. Being that check out is at 11 - I thought there MUST be a room available and clean by 1, at the latest. The receptionist was SOOOO UNHELPFUL - telling me check in was at three and nothing would be available before then. I thought they would try to be accommodating being the wedding booked and entire block of rooms with them but it wasn't the case. I called at 2 pm and again asked if anything was available and was told no. Apparently they clean all of the rooms between 2 and the 3 pm check-in - that's the only explanation I can think of for NO ROOMS being available at 2 pm for us to change for the wedding. I left my phone number with the receptionist when I called and asked to be called as soon as it was ready. No phone call - no surprise. I would NEVER stay in this hotel again. With the multitude of choices in the Gettysburg area there is no reason to patronize an establishment with such deplorable customer service.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here - definitely the new building - although "new" certainly...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ShaunacaJames, Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Janna S

Thanks for staying with us at the Eisenhower Hotel and for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate both!

I am sorry that you were not able to receive the early check in that you desired, especially after driving in from out of state. It's a shame that the group organizer never mentioned the possibility of so many early arrivals, since we could have easily accommodate this with proper notice.

We do have several new housekeeping inspection policies in place, so perhaps this added to our getting you a room prior to our normal check in time of 3pm. Nonetheless, I know we added to your stress and I apologize that we let you down.

Additionally, I appreciate your comments about the customer service challenge you received. Rest assured that we are committed to improving our entire service standards and hope you will come stay with us again.

Thanks for your review.
Phila. PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were here for a wedding reception and planned to stay overnight. Our room was in the new building and very nice. Large room with a microwave and refrigerator and a comfortable queen bed. The buffet dinner at the reception was good and so was the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant on Sunday morning. A nice feature was all the buildings are connected so you didn't have to walk outside. We did walk to the lounge area which is small but adequate. There are also shops inside the hotel for almost any type of shopping you made need. Around the indoor pool is also a snack shop that sells food if you want snack foods. We would stay here again next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Stay in the new building as we heard this is nicer.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!