“Had a great time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Had a great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have been to this hotel many times and have enjoyed myself each and every time. The rooms are clean and the staff is very nice. They are a beautiful indoor swimming pool that is open year round. I look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: The rooms in Eisenhower II or the poolside rooms in Eisenhower are the best!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ShaunacaJames, Salels Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Hallmark200

First of all, we would like to thank you for your repeat business and also for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased that you felt comfortable and welcomed by our staff. We hope you enjoyed our year round swimming pool and that you had a chance to take advantage of our acres of outdoor property as well. As always, we are very glad that you had a wonderful time and we are also looking forward to your next visit. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Kirkwood, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We booked the hotel through Expedia; King bed. We also called and spoke to the hotel two times before arrival confirming that we wished to stay in Tower II. No problem according to them. We arrived to a room in the original building with two double beds. When I asked at the desk about this they said that nothing online is guaranteed so I was not guaranteed a king bed I suppose. They said that Tower II was fully booked and we could be switched to a king in the current building but they chose not to because of a rowdy party in that part of the hotel. If Tower II was booked then two people on two different phone calls should not have told us we could have our reservation in that building.

Another note, we were told at the front desk during check in that the pool was malfunctioning and the heater went haywire and made the pool extremely hot. Not good on a summer day. So we also did not use the pool.

I always book vacations online and have NEVER been given a different room type than what was booked. Otherwise I would not book online anymore. I was hesitant reading the reviews here but I must say that the reviews were dead on and honest. I now know to take the reviews here to heart!

My wife and I frequent Gettysburg often, but we will skip this hotel in the future and return to one of our other fav spots.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ShaunacaJames, Sales Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Joel M,

We apologize for any inconvenience that you encountered during your reservations process however we do thank your for your feedback. We do not guarantee room types. Our front desk staff felt that it was in your best interest along with trying to accommodate all of your needs to place you in a less noisy comfortable location. We hope that you understand. Again we appreciate your business and hope that you choose us again in the future.
Leland, Ill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have read a number of negative reviews about the Eisenhower Inn so I had some concerns about staying here. However, my wife and I were very pleasantly surprised at how nice it is. The grounds are very well kept, everything seems to be in good repair, the rooms are large and comfortable. I don't see what all the fuss is about. The worst thing we experienced was that there was a musty smell in the conference room area and we attributed that to their not being used recently. Nothing a little airing out would not fix.

The hotel campus is right on the south edge of town and easy to find from the highway. The buildings are very large with marble floors and new carpets. We had sandwiches in the bar and they were very good and reasonably priced. The pool area is in a large atrium with access to the deli and many tables and chairs so a meal or a snack could be eaten pool side.

I would highly recommend the Eisenhower to anyone coming to Gettysburg.

Room Tip: The Eisenhower II building is newer but we walked through Eisenhower I and didn't see anything t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CD1957,

We would like to thank you for staying with us. We are glad you did not let negative reviews prevent you from giving our hotel a chance. We have found that a lot of people who have positive opinions or comments do not always express themselves. We take pride in our large spacious rooms and great food. It was a pleasure hearing that you had a great experience we hope to see you again soon!
md
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed at the Eisenhower for a soccer tournament. I didn't choose this place...it was chosen by the coach for the whole team...I guess because it was the cheapest option available. It was so far away from all civilization. What a nasty mess this place was. So outdated it wasn't funny. The indoor pool is awful. Lots of the rooms have balconys that open up to the indoor pool area and the temperatures are so hot it will make you sick. The fitness center advertised on the hotel's website is a joke. The "equipment" is like 30 years old and dusty.....just an old bike in a room...no treadmill or elliptical. The rooms were dingy and creepy and flat out gross....the whole place was. I wouldn't eat at the restaurant or the snack shop...who knows how long that food has been there. I will never set foot near this place again. The only good thing about the trip was that the tournament got cut short by a day so we only had to spend one night in this dump.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Anonynous,

Thank you for staying with us during your most recent stay in Gettysburg. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have encountered. We are located about 3-4 miles out of town however it is easy access to Route 15 and downtown Gettysburg. Since your stay we have added new equipment to our fitness center. Our food receives great reviews and we wish that you would have given us the opportunity to prove that. We hope that you change your mind and give us a second chance in the future.
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Upon planning our Gettysburg trip, my husband and I booked this hotel with high expectations. He had traveled here prior (around 2008), and enthralled me with stories of a fantastic indoor pool, a pool bar/restaurant, a ceiling that opens above the pool, and just a general "fun" place to be. He did warn me, however, that the hotel was a bit dated, but still clean. "No problem", I thought! The website exemplified a neat, tidy, and inexpensive place to stay, so we booked two nights.

Let me just tell you, a LOT can happen in four years. Walking up the steps to the door of our room, I was immediately appalled. A giant bee hive sat close to the door, a tattered and dirty awning flapped in the wind, and the place where you insert your key was covered with a giant layer of dirt. The walkway to our room wasn't much better. It looked as if someone had taken some sort of food and squirted it on the carpet and walls, and it had dried and caked.

Our room was pretty terrifying. We had paid a little extra for the suite, but I can assure you, it was anything but sweet. Random stains littered the walls, floor, and YUCK-the bed spreads and sheets. The fridge/freezer was so disgusting that the handles were black with filth. Also, the wall was built in such a way that it actually prevented the freezer part from even opening (which was probably a blessing-who knows what was in there!)

Alright, so we cancelled our second night but tried to make the best of the one which which we were stuck. We slid open our door to the pool area and stepped out into what I hope would be-the hotel's salvation. Wrong again! What was once a great indoor/outdoor pool area, has been left for dead. The pool was grimy, all the plants were long dead, and the fantastic pool bar? Nothing but a dusty, crusty remnant of what was once great. The booths by the pool were filled with bugs, dirty rags, and sadness.

What had happened in only a few shorts years, we wondered. Upon talking with numerous other bed and breakfast and store owners, the conclusion was all the same-when they heard we were staying at the Eisenhower, they cringed and debated warning us (the hotel has a bad reputation in town, apparently). A few years back, there was the chance that the casino might be put where the hotel is, and in addition, the original management passed away and those left with the hotel didn't know what to do with it. Those two combined led to a quick downfall of what was once a classy, inexpensive place to say. Now, I would most definitely say this place is disgusting and cheap. They have clearly given up and do nothing to deserve your hard earned money.

PLEASE do yourself a favor, spend a few extra bucks and stay at a Bed and Breakfast...or at the very least, there are much nicer hotels around the same price.

DO NOT STAY HERE-you will regret it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ShaunacaJames, Sales Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Nutty_Squirrel_23,
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time out to write a review of our property; however I am truly sorry for the untidiness during your stay. I have spoken with our maintenance manager to remove the bee hive and dirt around the doors of the rooms. I also spoke with our general manager of the property regarding the neatness of the public areas and guest rooms to rectify any issues. Again, I’m sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay; our staff truly strives to provide a stress/worry free environment for our guests to enjoy themselves and unfortunately that was not provided to you. Again, thank you for your comments and should your travels bring you back to Gettysburg I hope that you will consider staying with us.
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel is gross. Like straight gross, we did a ghost hunt to the building in front of this place, and it was cleaner. We actually cancelled our second night ten minutes after checking in. I would rather spend the night in a dumpster behind a cloth diaper cleaning plant. This is the worst day of my life. I feel somewhat bad posting this from their wifi as I sit in my room, then I think to myself about how the toilet has stains on the seat. The pool hasnt been cleaned since my last time here. There is absolutely no reason what so ever to think about staying here. My wife is staying in another hotel and I am stuck in this dump.

Room Tip: Stay at the cashtown inn, or the brickhouse in getttysburg. The eisenhower will.make your soul weep...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ShaunacaJames, Sales Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Mike L.,
I am very sorry to hear that your stay was less than pleasurable. I have brought your concerns of cleanliness to the attention of our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not occur again. I do wish that during your stay you would have mentioned your dissatisfaction to our staff so that we could have rectified the situation immediately. I do hope that you will give us another chance during your visit to the area. Please feel free to reach out to me directly during your next reservation.
Thanks,
South Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

In its hey day this hotel would have been fantastic but it is tired and battle weary. It was clean and convenient and that is the only good thing I can say about it.

If you happened to complain about no hot water or no wifi, then the standard response is I will have to call the engineer.

Sorry the staff were all very good and it's not their fault that money to update this hotel is not forthcoming

Room Tip: Don't bother unless some money is spent on it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ShaunacaJames, Guest Relations Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Grimble,

Thank you for you comments as well as choosing to stay here at the Eisenhower during your recent stay. I apologize for any inconvenience you encountered and I hope that you were able to take advantage of our other amenities we offer. I have forwarded your comments to our General Manager for review. I hope to see you again in the future.

Been to Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!