“I wish I would have slept in the city dump, as it would have been more pleasant...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2634 Emmitsburg Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #26 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Upon planning our Gettysburg trip, my husband and I booked this hotel with high expectations. He had traveled here prior (around 2008), and enthralled me with stories of a fantastic indoor pool, a pool bar/restaurant, a ceiling that opens above the pool, and just a general "fun" place to be. He did warn me, however, that the hotel was a bit dated, but still clean. "No problem", I thought! The website exemplified a neat, tidy, and inexpensive place to stay, so we booked two nights.

Let me just tell you, a LOT can happen in four years. Walking up the steps to the door of our room, I was immediately appalled. A giant bee hive sat close to the door, a tattered and dirty awning flapped in the wind, and the place where you insert your key was covered with a giant layer of dirt. The walkway to our room wasn't much better. It looked as if someone had taken some sort of food and squirted it on the carpet and walls, and it had dried and caked.

Our room was pretty terrifying. We had paid a little extra for the suite, but I can assure you, it was anything but sweet. Random stains littered the walls, floor, and YUCK-the bed spreads and sheets. The fridge/freezer was so disgusting that the handles were black with filth. Also, the wall was built in such a way that it actually prevented the freezer part from even opening (which was probably a blessing-who knows what was in there!)

Alright, so we cancelled our second night but tried to make the best of the one which which we were stuck. We slid open our door to the pool area and stepped out into what I hope would be-the hotel's salvation. Wrong again! What was once a great indoor/outdoor pool area, has been left for dead. The pool was grimy, all the plants were long dead, and the fantastic pool bar? Nothing but a dusty, crusty remnant of what was once great. The booths by the pool were filled with bugs, dirty rags, and sadness.

What had happened in only a few shorts years, we wondered. Upon talking with numerous other bed and breakfast and store owners, the conclusion was all the same-when they heard we were staying at the Eisenhower, they cringed and debated warning us (the hotel has a bad reputation in town, apparently). A few years back, there was the chance that the casino might be put where the hotel is, and in addition, the original management passed away and those left with the hotel didn't know what to do with it. Those two combined led to a quick downfall of what was once a classy, inexpensive place to say. Now, I would most definitely say this place is disgusting and cheap. They have clearly given up and do nothing to deserve your hard earned money.

PLEASE do yourself a favor, spend a few extra bucks and stay at a Bed and Breakfast...or at the very least, there are much nicer hotels around the same price.

DO NOT STAY HERE-you will regret it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ShaunacaJames, Sales Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Nutty_Squirrel_23,
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time out to write a review of our property; however I am truly sorry for the untidiness during your stay. I have spoken with our maintenance manager to remove the bee hive and dirt around the doors of the rooms. I also spoke with our general manager of the property regarding the neatness of the public areas and guest rooms to rectify any issues. Again, I’m sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay; our staff truly strives to provide a stress/worry free environment for our guests to enjoy themselves and unfortunately that was not provided to you. Again, thank you for your comments and should your travels bring you back to Gettysburg I hope that you will consider staying with us.

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel is gross. Like straight gross, we did a ghost hunt to the building in front of this place, and it was cleaner. We actually cancelled our second night ten minutes after checking in. I would rather spend the night in a dumpster behind a cloth diaper cleaning plant. This is the worst day of my life. I feel somewhat bad posting this from their wifi as I sit in my room, then I think to myself about how the toilet has stains on the seat. The pool hasnt been cleaned since my last time here. There is absolutely no reason what so ever to think about staying here. My wife is staying in another hotel and I am stuck in this dump.

Room Tip: Stay at the cashtown inn, or the brickhouse in getttysburg. The eisenhower will.make your soul weep...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ShaunacaJames, Sales Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Mike L.,
I am very sorry to hear that your stay was less than pleasurable. I have brought your concerns of cleanliness to the attention of our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not occur again. I do wish that during your stay you would have mentioned your dissatisfaction to our staff so that we could have rectified the situation immediately. I do hope that you will give us another chance during your visit to the area. Please feel free to reach out to me directly during your next reservation.
Thanks,
South Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

In its hey day this hotel would have been fantastic but it is tired and battle weary. It was clean and convenient and that is the only good thing I can say about it.

If you happened to complain about no hot water or no wifi, then the standard response is I will have to call the engineer.

Sorry the staff were all very good and it's not their fault that money to update this hotel is not forthcoming

Room Tip: Don't bother unless some money is spent on it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ShaunacaJames, Guest Relations Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Grimble,

Thank you for you comments as well as choosing to stay here at the Eisenhower during your recent stay. I apologize for any inconvenience you encountered and I hope that you were able to take advantage of our other amenities we offer. I have forwarded your comments to our General Manager for review. I hope to see you again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Okay needed a room to stay the night in Gettysburg. For 139.50 a night one would expect to at least receive a free breakfast. They not only do not serve free breakfast, but the rooms need remodeling. The ceiling tiles are molded from a leaky roof and the television has color distortion. Would only recommend if desperate for a stay.

Room Tip: It is not a Hampton, but charges same price.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vwman62,

Thank you for staying with us; however I do apologize that your stay was not pleasurable. We do not have complimentary breakfast however we do provide breakfast in our restaurant as well as in our Market Place Deli. Eisenhower I is dated however we make every effort to provide a clean accommodating stay. Hopefully you will consider staying with us again. Perhaps you would like our much newer Eisenhower II building as an alternate option.
Salisbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our room was in the Eisenhower I "wing" of this hotel. They have such potential with beautiful expansive grounds and an Arcade and Go cart track on site. The bedding and decor is dated, but clean. We also enjoyed the swimming pool and the fitness center. You can't beat the location if you don't like to stay right in town.

Room Tip: See if they are booking rooms in the newer wing. Eisenhower II.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tumblwd1,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent stay in Gettysburg. Dated we are however, we do offer ample amenities. We are delighted that you were able to take advantage of them. We hope to see you again in the near future!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

It seems many of the hotels in Gettysburg are rather battle weary and the Eisenhower is no different. It is dated and worn but clean and functional. If it were any place but Gettysburg I would not stay here but for Gettysburg...it is OK.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Brassmat,

Thank you for choosing us out of the many hotels in Gettysburg during your recent stay. We are located just out of town on amazing grounds; we strive to create the best experience for our guests. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

During the recent power and storm crisis, we managed to obtain a room at the Eisenhower with just a couple of hours' notice. I would have to agree with the other reviewers that the facility is quite dated and well-used, but was still very clean. The staff was helpful, and the amenities were as-promised. I would probably stay again, but only because it was such a good-priced and well-located hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Obsiam,

It was unfortunate to hear that you had to go through the power and storm issues. However, we are happy that we could be here to serve you and appreciate your feedback. We hope you come visit us again, only under different circumstances! 

Been to Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!