“Amazing work and extremely nice gentleman!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 62 things to do in Gettysburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
US
23 attraction reviews
“Amazing work and extremely nice gentleman!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I am totally blown away by the 1-star review someone posted! I don't attempt to second-guess various experiences that folks have but what is described here - does not described either Rob or his work!!!!

I waltzed into Gibson's for the first time way-back-when in 1999, literally couple of days after they opened their door. It took me and my wife all but 2 mins to decide to have a plate done.... The rest, as they say, is HISTORY!!!

I cannot even try to count how many times I have returned, sometimes by myself, sometimes with family, sometimes with friends. Some of these times new plates (both glass and tin as well as accompanying copies of paper CdVs) were made, some - it was solely a "tourist stop" (esp. for the folks who've never been before). EVERY SINGLE TIME Rob was courteous, helpful, very professional and more than willing to share his knowledge and to show around the studio. I also have never had any complaints about the quality of work - everything I have is first rate!

Rob is renown in the CW Living History & Re-Enactment circles. His work is known throughout the country and perhaps in some corners of the World. He was invited to document the filming of "Gods and Generals" and did a superb job of that. And if one said "Get a Gibson" (or "I got a Gibson") some of us would immediately know what he was talking about...and it aint a guitar!!!!

There are other studios in Gettysburg incl. the truly "cheesy" touristy ones where you can play "dress-up" for a $20.00 shot. If anyone has any "reservations" about Gibson Studio, prices, quality of work and Rob's personality - they are more than welcome to go there - chances are THERE they'll get what they paid for....

Visited September 2012

So Plainfield
7 attraction reviews
“Unique Gettysburg experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you want a tin type photo during the summer season, MAKE AN APPOINTMENT in advance. We had a 1:00pm appointment, and even through there were walk-ins, we were taken right away. Since it was the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg battel, my husband wanted to be a Union Gerneal. His outfit was amazing! It was so authentic and he even had a great coat. Rob was by himself and very busy; my dress was baggy and huge and reminded me of a potato sack. I did get to wear a cute hat and hair net, but I wished a woman could have helped me. We had our dog, and Rob was very accomodating in having him in the picture. Watching the picture develop was amazing, we were captivated. Rob was very friendly and made us feel welcome. We spent $169.00 and received a tin photo in a beautiful replica frame, one 5"x7" photo and 4 wallet size photos, all beautifully mounted. Just the tin photo was $85.00. We will definitely be back as we really enjoyed the experience and I would have given 5 stars if poor Rob had some help, it was really busy! By the way, our dog never moved and came out crystal clear in the photo. Rob does keep the negatives on file, so yo can call and order more at any time.

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
“Incredible photographs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I enjoy seeing the photos that Rob takes. Everyone who works here is very friendly and learning about the whole photography process was very interesting.

orlandoflorida
13 attraction reviews
“A Visit To Gettysburg Would Not Be Complete Without A Rob Gibson Portrait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

On our recent visit to Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary of the battle, we had our 1863 style portrait done at Rob Gibson’s Photographic Studio.

We arrived for our July 3rd appointment and as they dressed my wife in her period clothes, I was outfitted in Union Officer attire. We had chosen an authentic wet plate photograph format used for photographs in the 1860’s. Even though I had done black and white photography, development, and printing for twenty-five years, I wasn’t familiar with the wet plate format.

I thought a photographic plate would have been commercially produced to take the photograph. I couldn’t have been more wrong. I watched as Mr. Gibson poured a solution onto a black metal plate and let it spread around to form a uniform covering on the plate. After asking what it was, he informed me it was collodion, a form of nitrocellulose; the type of film used for years in early motion pictures.

After starting the film coating process, the plate must have silver reacted with the collodion, exposed for the photograph, developed, and made into a positive image within ten minutes while the plate remains moist, hence the name “wet plate”.

Mr. Gibson posed us in the skylight lit studio, and framed and focused the period plate camera. He retrieved the wet plate from the small darkroom bench in the corner of the studio, and placed it in the camera. While we were holding perfectly still, he removed the lens cap from the lens for a fifteen second exposure and then placed the lens cap back on the lens. He removed the wet plate from the camera and developed the plate. In a few minutes we were looking at the negative image on the plate. He then developed the plate into the finished positive image as we watched it change before our eyes.

It was fascinating to see the whole production of the wet plate from start to finish, with our photograph as the result.

With all of the sights of visiting Gettysburg, this was one the highlights of the trip for me to have the wet plate photograph produced and see how it was done through every step of the process.

I would think a trip to Gettysburg would not be complete without having a wet plate photograph portrait produced by Rob Gibson as the ultimate way to remember one’s visit to this historic city.

York, Pennsylvania
“Dont Waste Your Money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I will never be returning to Gibsons and if I wasnt so sure that I would get chewed out/ hung up on by the owners I would be calling back demanding to get a refund. I have gotten over 10 tin types done, so I am not new to this. Not only was Mr. Gibson extremely rude but the quality of our tin type is the worst I have seen. We had to pose ourselves, no head stand was set up so I am blurry and you can see the top of the backdrops and props. He was flustered,cold, disrespectful and rushed. It was given to us in a giant envelope allowing it to slide around and get scrapped up a bit. We dropped $120 on just one tin type and thats not a cheap price. The least they could have done was treat our experience with care and take their time. If you cant handle the tourist rush then dont be open. I am livid that I am out $120 for something that was supposed to be and enjoyable experience and not irritating and vastly disappointing one. I am in Gettysburg a lot and I will tell people to save their money as it is just not worth it for that quality. I thought I would get a high quality tin type as he is supposedly "the best" in the business, but I think I could have done better. Save your money and go get a digital old time picture done elsewhere. As for me, it was a wasted hour and a wasted $120 that I could have spent doing something way more enjoyable.

Visited July 2013
RJGibson, Owner at Gibson's Photographic Gallery, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
My policy has always been 100% satisfaction for the past 20 years. I do not know who this reviewer is, nor have we had any complaint about my work. I never allow clients to pose themselves, I have 3 headrest that are used when needed, and EVERY photograph is carefully inspected by magnification by myself and the client before ANY money is taken. If he's had 10 tintypes, and this is the worst he has had, I'd like to see the other nine.
I go out of my way to please every client and have a stellar reputation. I've reviewed every photo taken during reenactment week and cannot imagine who this could be.
I've never hung up on anybody. My tintypes cost $85 not $125, I think this is someone who has a personal agenda that has everything to do with me, and nothing about the quality of my work.
Its easy these days for someone to hide behind a keyboard and anonymously bash someone. I invite A.K. back to the studio with his original photograph, to reshoot or refund his money, but I'm not holding my breath, because I don't think I ever took his picture.