“Frequent rest stop” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Arlington, Virginia
“Frequent rest stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I am typically on the road 3-4 days out of the week traveling for business, and when my travels take me anywhere close to Gettysburg, I try my hardest to book a room at this hotel. Not only am I satisfied with the location (right off rt. 15), but the outlets, movies theaters, and quick access to downtown Gettysburg without the endless loud crowds that come with staying downtown (ghost tours) is why I choose this hotel. Moreover, the customer service and "helping hand" attitude I always receive at this hotel makes me want to come back even more. I have stayed in other hotels in Gettysburg, when this hotel is not available, and the Country Inn & Suites is hands down the best hotel for you value whether you be a traveling business person or a family. Is every stay better than the last? No. Am I always satisfied? Yes. Trust me, I value my sleep after a busy day. The beds are always comfortable, temperature is always right where I want it, and it's quiet. I highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
jdelozier, Regional Vice President at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gettysburg, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor.com. We are honored to be your "Frequent Rest Stop". Thank you for your kind words! I appreciated your comments about always being satisfied. Please know as much as possible we would also like to make each stay better than the last. If there is ever anything we can do to better serve you, please let us know! In fact, if I can ever be of service to you while traveling in the Gettysburg area, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jdelozier@hlihotels.com.

Hospitality Lodging Investors

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

stayed at this hotel on our way home from Lancaster Pa.
Well situated for shopping and historical area.
Staff here was great, room quality good, and the continental breakfast was
vast.
Passing through or visiting Gettysburg, Highly recomended. Easy access from hwy 15.
The Village outlet store are within walking distance of hotel, as is, the theater and resturaunt. Good Stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Hi Maryland Rooster!

Thank you for taking the time to review our Gettysburg Country Inn & Suites. I am glad that you find our location convenient and I appreciate your very kind words about our staff. We hope to welcome you back soon. If I can ever be of any assistance to you while traveling in the Gettysburg area, please do not hesistate to contact me directly at jdelozier@hlihotels.com.

Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

The Country Inn and Suites in Gettysburg, PA, seemed like a reasonably good deal for our money. The suite offered a separate sitting room with a sofa bed, chair, TV, and desk. The king bed mattress in the bedroom was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean. During our three-day stay, however, we were very frustrated by the linens on our bed. The first night found us tossing around, because the totally inadequate mattress pad had come loose and the fitted bottom sheet had no elastic left on it. The result was a big wad of bedding that kept accumulating underneath us, causing discomfort and pulling the linens completely off of the bed. On inspection in the morning, we found that the mattress pad was to be held on with elastic bands, which were torn and not even attached to the pad. We mentioned it to the cleaning lady, only to find that the same thing happened on the second night. The following morning, we completely stripped the bed, hoping that they would remake it with new linens. The third night found us in the same predicament. It was clear that the cleaning lady had put the same mattress pad and sheets back on the bed. On check out, we reported the problem to the desk. No apology was given, only excuses. They told us that "the owners," whom we assume to be Carlson, would only allow them to use those particular mattress pads and linens, and they had no choice in the matter. From that statement, I have to assume that everyone else in the hotel lost nights of comfortable sleep, as well.
Given the fact that the hotel was quite busy on the weekend that we stayed, as evidenced by young children screaming and running up and down the corridors, I find it hard to believe that others shared our predicament. If that were so, very few people would choose to stay there. Consequently, we were very disappointed by the failure of hotel staff to acknowledge our problem and to even attempt to make us more comfortable. The excuses were an insult to our intelligence and a remarkably feeble attempt to pass the buck as a way of avoiding the problem.
I have never written a negative review of anything before, but I believe that it is important for others to be forewarned about the lack of pride this hotel takes in its customer care.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Please know that we take reviews like yours very seriously. The last thing we ever want to offer our valued guests are poor excuses. I certainly understand why you feel that these poor excuses were "insulting". I ensure you that our staff does take pride in our hotel and I am sorry that you encountered a situation that did not demonstrate this.

If we have not already been able to make this situation right for you, we would truly appreciate the opportunity to do so. Please contact our Bryan Johnson, our general manager, at 717-337-9518 or contact me by email at jdelozier@hlihotels.com.

Hopsitality Lodging Investors
Central, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the weekend and the website advertised our room as the "Celebration Jacuzzi Suite " which was to include a gift basket filled with sparkling cider, wine glasses, chocolates, bubble bath, and candles. When we realized this was not in the room my boyfriend inquired about it at the front desk (showing the receipt print out stating what was included) and was given the brush off by the clerk. We finally did receive the basket on the last day just before check out. The heat/ac unit in the room never got the room to a comfortable temperature. It was constantly either too hot or too cold, and when the room was hot it had a musty odor. We used hot tub the first night there and noticed the following day after housekeeping serviced the room that they had not cleaned the hot tub. The breakfast that the clerk who checked us in called "Excellent" was a bit of a disappointment. Biscuits and gravy that looked liked lumpy Elmer's Glue, defrosted frozen bagels, some old looking fruit, cereals, yogurt, etc... although the waffles (which you had to make in the waffle iron yourself) were good. Overall the hotel was not horrible, but the customer service was lousy, and for the price they charge for the rooms I think we could have done much better elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Cannonball1970:

It sounds like we did a horrible job at making your weeked a true celebration. I am sorry that your package amenities were not in your room for you when you checked in. I am also sorry to hear that our service and our breakfast was not up to your expectations. Please know that the service you described is far below our own expectations as well. We hope that you will give us another opportunity and I am confident that you would not find this to be the case a second time.

Please contact Bryan Johnson, our general manager, at 717-337-9518 or contact me by email at jdelozier@hlihotels.com. We would truly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you and to make this right!

Mercer, Pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

My family members and I have stayed here on several occasions over the last 2 years, it is a convienent location for our family get togethers. The first few visits (in 2007 and 2008) were really good although our last trip in 2008 we had dirty sheets on the beds (never changed) and we had to wait for someone to clean that up. We stayed again (3 rooms) in November. Our room had a very pungent odor, although it was not really dirty looking and a family member had ants all over the beds. We asked to change rooms, but we were told there were none open that evening. (Although they did eventually give in and change rooms for the family with the ants). There were absolutely no people in the hotel. A total of 8 cars in the parking lot. (2 of which were ours) No bodies in the hallways, pool or breakfast area the entire evening. I was extremely disappointed with the customer service to say the least. I asked, and was told by the front desk that the hotel has now been sold off to private owners and I fear like so many others hotels have before, they are now only looking for bus tours because of the location at the outlets, and what was once a very nice hotel will now just become a one night bus stop over, with little use for the repeat customer. I would not recommend this hotel as it stands now. For the price, you can get a cleaner, more accommadating hotel in Gettysburg.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

Arrived late on a Friday, no problems with a late check-in. Arrived in the room, was met with a tidy room. No complaints on that end. Went to see a movie at the theater in the Outlet Shoppes across the way, and was able to get discount tickets and free popcorn at the front desk. Was very pleased about that.

Went to the free breakfast offered in the lobby the following morning, and it was an overall disappointment. Food was usually cold, various items had run out, and there were seemingly no workers checking to see what needed to be refilled. What food I was able to locate was delicious however, once it was warmed up in the microwave.

In room internet access was spotty at best, with several networks showing, but only 2 that were connectible. When able to connect it was fast, but spotty. Could be done better.

Later in the evening, we decided to check out the pool. Pool was very clean. However, the towels were entirely too small. I needed 4 just to towel off after swimming. Had a problem with that, but overall, a good experience.

The hotel offers free drinks, (coffee, juices, etc) all night long, from what I could judge. Service was great the first night, however on the second night, most of the items were empty. We looked around and were unable to find any help with getting them refilled. Ended up having to go to the 7-11 across the street to get drinks.

Overall, it was a nice hotel. But some things could definitely been done better.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
trenton, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

While doing the college tour, we spent the night at this lovely hotel. The lobby is very pleasant as are its customer service agents. The room was clean and met our needs very well. The continental breakfast was enjoyable. And the shopping nearby led to a good evening of entertainment.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family