“GREAT ESCAPE” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
“GREAT ESCAPE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Country Inn this past weekend to escape the weather of hurricane Irene. The staff in the entire hotel was very and friendly and we were surprised at the large layout of the room. We stayed in a king suite which had a sitting area seperate from the bedroom. We were surprised at how fresh and clean the hotel was considering the fact that it was pet friendly and so many were staying there that weekend. the continental breakfast was great, they offered a wide variety of hot foods such as eggs, waffles, french toast and bacon. As well as cerials, muffins, bagels, toast and juices. We also enjoyed the close proximity to the outlet malls. A short walk across the parking lot and there were alot of great stores and food.
The only complaints i may have had was the level of noise through the walls. upstairs i could here the kids running back and forth in the halls or the water running from a shower or toilet flushing. And the pool if it was heated was not turned on. We could not stay in very long with the baby.
Overall we were very happy with the stay and would love to go back again to further explore gettysburg. Good Hotel

Room Tip: the king suite with the seperate sitting area and pull out sofa bed was very roomy and had a private...

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Checked into the Country Inn & Suites at Gettysburg, PA for a two night stay on the way to NYC to attend to some family matters. Thought a stop at the Gettysburg battlefield would be a nice break in the trip.

We were checked into Room #115, which was at the very end of one of the halls. Very convenient to bring in luggage, but we soon discovered that we were put in a handicapped accessible room, the shortcomings of which would become apparent.

The closet had a bar for clothes that was about 3 feet from the floor, making it difficult to hang my wife's clothes without them dragging on the floor. The bathroom had a large shower with a wooden seat and cloth curtain that extended to the floor, which would accomodate someone in a wheelchair.

The ultimate effect of the shower was to allow water all over the bathroom floor, despite our best efforts to keep the shower curtain drawn and not clinging to the surface of our bodies. Unable to use all of the towels to soak up the water, the floor was constantly wet, which didn't allow the air conditioning to really dry the air, leaving the room with a clammy feeling at all times.

i figured we could live with this, but during the night, we couldn't help but notice an intense light beaming in around the curtain from a huge spotlight installed just outside that was illuminating the side of the building. We couldn't get the room dark despite our best efforts, which led to an uncomfortable night's sleep.

Considering both the light issue as well as the clammy air, we asked to be moved to another room. The management was very accomodating and arranged to have our luggage moved for us. We were to check with them after noon, or so for our new room.

After returning from our day of sightseeing, we found ourselves moved to Room #213 - a small suite with the king bed in a separate room, and a sofa, chair, and second TV in the front part of the suite. Also a refrig and wet bar across from the spacious bathroom. Dark and quiet, it was just perfect.

The only drawback to this accomodation was the crew laying carpet throughout the hall! We were literaly tripping on them whenever we would enter or leave the room. On the whole, however, not a bad deal.

The breakefast was the typical cold cereal and continental breakfast bar enhanced by hot waffles and steam-table powdered eggs. The coffee was excellent, however, and the fruit selections and boiled eggs made it quite edible both mornings. Breakfast could be slow and crowded as this is a prime tourist destination for families, and we did feel sort of crushed on one of the mornings.

On the whole, a pretty enjoyable stay.

NOTE: There is a cheap shuttle service that picks up right in front of the hotel and sevices the Battlefield Visitors Center as well as the places of interest in Gettysburg itself. A great deal and very convenient!

The hotel is also adjacent to a large outlet mall that includes a small food court and a detached Friday's restaurant, as well as a multiplex cinema.

Litchfield, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed two nights at the Country Inn & Suites in Gettysburg and it was very good for it's class of hotels. The room was clean, the service was good, and the breakfast was more than we expected with waffle machines and other hot breakfast foods like scrambled eggs and French toast. We had a suite with a private bedroom and it was a great set-up for traveling with our 16-year-old grandson, giving us both our privacy. It's located right next to a big outlet mall and a TGI Fridays, and it's minutes to all the Gettysburg attractions. All the people who worked there were very nice.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My family and I recently stayed at the hotel, 8-12-11 to 8-14-11. We thought that the hotel was exceptionally clean. Front desk check-ins Angie and Jamie were the nicest people that we ever encountered in our travels. They were warm, exceedingly knowledgable of the community, the tours of the battlefield and the local restaurants. We would not hesitate to stay there again and we can only hope that wherever we travel that we will be treated as graciously as we were at the Country Inn & Sweets in Gettysburg.

Romulus, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Wonderful and helpful staff. Breakfast had a large selection.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We were really looking forward to our visit to Gettysburg and since we are members of Club Carlson and Trip Advisor rating the hotel 4 stars we decided to stay at the Country Inn & Suites for 2 nights. When I made the reservation I asked to use my points for the 2 day stay. I was told that I was only able to use10k of my points per night. In addition to my points I also had to pay $83 per night.

Upon pulling up to the hotel we were very happy because the hotel really looked nice from the outside and my wife was excited because the Outlet Stores were right across the parking lot. After checking in and before going to our room my wife noticed that they had cookies in a bin. So she reached inside only to find broken and stale cookies (that should have been our first clue). So we went up to our room and as soon as we opened the door we smelled an odor of mildew & mold, we immediately called down to the desk and told the clerk (who was very nice) what we found. He immediately came up with a key to another room. After inspecting the new room we found it to 100% better then the first (so we thought). After settling into our room my wife decided to take a shower while I went & got some ice. Upon my return my wife was standing by the bathroom door shaking her head. I asked what happened and she explained that the shower drain was clogged and the water wouldn't go down which meant she was ankle deep in dirty water. So Again I called down to the desk and asked the clerk to send up maintenance. He said there was no one there but he would come up and see what he could do. After about 45 minutes he was able to get the drain unclogged. We told him how disappointed we were about the overall condition of the hotel (even the furniture was from civil war period). He said he was very sorry for the problems and in consideration of the trouble he would give us a credit for 1 night and return the 10k points. Of course we thanked him for all his efforts in resolving all our issues and told him that we appreciated the gesture of refunding our money.

However the nightmare wasn't over. The next morning we went down for breakfast. What we found was an undersized area with to many tables and chairs which made it very difficult to move around. The food was placed in the back of the u shaped room with tables all around which again made it very difficult to get around and get your food. The plates and silverware were hidden in draws in a breakfront surrounded by a number of tables. We were told that this hotel offered a full breakfast (not exactly). I found out that they only offer eggs every other day and of course today wasn’t the day for eggs but I was told by a member of the staff that I shouldn't be upset because the French toast was dipped in egg. My wife and I looked at each other and couldn't help but laugh at that statement. The following morning wasn't any better. They served flying saucer eggs, cold coffee and everything else besides the fruit was terrible.

All in all I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless they go through a major renovation and I mean major. The only bright spot besides visiting Gettysburg was the night clerk who was very nice and very helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
travelbwj, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gettysburg, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Dewarsdou,

Thank for your review of our hotel. I certainly wanted to apologize that our facility did not meet your needs when traveling. Your comfort is our number one concern while you are our guest, and our goal is to meet and exceed all of your expectations.

I am happy to note that our property is in the middle of a complete renovation of the property. New furniture and carpet are currently being installed. We are constantly looking to improve our operations every single day, and your comments assist us in doing just that.

If you would like to discuss further, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please send me an e-mail at: bjohnson@hlihotels.com

Thank you!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

Bath had hair in it, beds were damp, and doors did not shut properly. It is located a fair few miles from Gettysburg, so you will need a car to get to the town itself. Is located next to an outlet mall, though. Overall a poor stay, would have done better to have stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gettysburg? Share your experiences!