“Maximize your time and understanding” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 62 things to do in Gettysburg
Tamarast@mac.com
“Maximize your time and understanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was fortunate that my company hosted a bus tour of the Battlefield. Terry Fox, our licensed tour guide was amazing - he easily addressed the forty+ members of our group and the four hours of the tour were a history lesson that has spurred many of us to read, check out the Virtual Gettysburg site and to make the connection between good leadership, communication and politics. Mr. Fox's knowledge and his personality clarified many questions, clearing outlining the generals, skirmishes and what the impact was on the area as his family has lived there for generations. HIGHLY recommend having a tour guide - a brochure does not give you the interaction and with the amount of area covered, you will fully understand the tragedy of this time.

Arlington, Virginia
58 attraction reviews
“Sure Way to Learn About the Battle of Gettysburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Our group decided to hire a licensed battlefield guide to enhance our visit to the Gettysburg NMP. Although tours can be booked through the visitors center, we decided to contact the association directly in order to have more flexibility in scheduling. (This also saves the $10 service fee the visitor center charges for booking a guide thru the center.)

Upon meeting our guide, Howie Frankenfield, at the visitors center, he offered to drive our vehicle in order for everyone in our group to fully enjoy the tour. This worked out very well because Howie took a course that twisted and turned through the town in order to keep the tour flowing in chronological order of the events during the battle. All four members of our group have an intermediate to advanced knowledge of the Civil War and the Battle of Gettysburg, so the overview Howie presented during the first few minutes of the tour was somewhat of a refresher for us. But, by the time we reached the sight of the first day's action west of town, we were able to see the value in having a guide. Howie was able explain the different positions and troop movements in an understandable and interesting fashion that really translated all the we had read and learned in the past to the here and now as we looked out over the battlefield. This continued throughout our two hour tour.

The fee for the guided tour ($27.50 per hour with a two hour minimum) mat seem pricey to some, but it really is the best way to experience the Gettysburg National Military Park.

Malvern, Pa
37 attraction reviews
“We opted for a private 3 hr guided car tour - an absolute must do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had George Newton and he drove our car and was so knowledgeable about the war, it was incredible. George was able to answer all our questions and then some. He was also patient with us, so we could get some great photographs.

A great value for the wealth of information the licensed tour guides offer.

Truly obtained information we would not have if we just drove through the park on our own,

For example 1 million horses died during the civil war. At the time the population of the horses was 7.2 million.

We suggest doing the film, cyclorama and museum prior to your tour.

Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
“A truly unforgettable and stimulating tour with an exceptional guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We hired Richard Kohr for a 3-hr tour of the Gettysburg Battlefield. He was extremely knowledgeable and personally engaging. As a student of history, our tour became a 3-hr discussion. It was a rare treat for me, as a student of history, to be be able to have a 3-hr discussion of ideas and theories ranging that went beyond just troop movements and tactics. Richard is more than a knowledgeable guide, also a true scholar and gifted teacher.

Springfield, Missouri
9 attraction reviews
“I Had The Most Incredible Tour Guide at Gettysburg's National Military Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have visited Gettysburg a number of time over the past 20 years as there is something so very sacred about this place and its importance in the history of the United States. I remember on one of my early trips there that I hired a guide for a couple of hours and had an informational tour. He was an older man and was very kind to me and my child.( I think I still have a picture of him somewhere in the family photo archives.)

Since then, I returned with guide books in hand and drove around again and again just kind of doing my own thing.

This year, I wanted a much more immersive experience. So, again, I chose to see Gettysburg with a guide. To my delight, I was greeted at the Visitor's Center by a bright-eyed young woman, Christina Moon. Instead of me driving, she navigated my vehicle around the battlefield for me - so much better as I could now spend my time looking at the sights as compared to watching the traffic trying to figure out where I was.

Christina wanted to know where I was from and began to expand on the role of soldiers from my state and where they fought and stories of the men and their leaders. It didn't matter what question I asked, she seemed to instantly know the answer.

This amazing woman touched me so much with the human stories of not just the different brigades but of the people from the town. She clearly helped me to understand the relationships between the fighting on Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3. In the past, I never really got clear on any of that in my own mind - I was just all over the place.

During the tour we got out of the car frequently and she would point out i.e. just where Pickett or Armisted had started and where they were going and then what happened. I finally got the relationship to where the Confederate HQ was vs Meade's HQ and the workings in between after she drove me from one side of the town to the other. Also, we walked and we talked. It was such a great tour I didn't want it to end. Fortunately, I was able to extend it an hour but that still didn't seem like enough.

Christina is a compassionate historian who knows and understands this part of American history. She is able to teach it in such a way that at times brought laughter but at other times brought tears.

I understand the Licensed Battlefield Guides are highly trained and have a passion for sharing their knowledge. They all have to pass rigorous written and verbal tests. I've decided on my next visit to again stop doing my own thing and get back on Christina's schedule. All I can say folks is get a good guide and truly let the history come to life.

Visited December 2012