The auto train from FL arrived late, so we had to get a motel for the night. I always book online, but when I tried to get a room at the Days Inn where we had stayed just a few nights before, it said they were sold out - probably because of all the good reviews. I thought I might get a room if I called, but no, they were really sold out. Apparently the same person owns the other hotels nearby and the person on the phone said he'd recommend the Super 8, it had good reviews. He booked me at a price of $75 plus tax for one night. (If I had booked online, it would have been $69 plus tax).
I don't know why this hotel has any good reviews - it looks like it would blow over in a strong wind; it smells funny from the time you walk in the door (and I'm sure someone had been smoking cigars in our non-smoking room); I had to go to the breakfast area to get a chair for the desk in our room (desk clerk said she'd "check on" one for us but never called back); there are stains on the ottoman; the sink runs VERY slowly; shower handle difficult to use - they have a little slip of paper with instructions, but my; husband didn't see it; there was a lot of noise from children running around in the room above us, that finally stopped at 10 pm; my husband needs a night light in the bathroom but there was none, so we had to leave the bathroom light on with the noisy fan running all night; breakfast was mediocre.
There were a few things that were OK. Our room on the first floor had 2 double beds (comfortable), microwave, fridge, 2 huge upholstered chairs (but no desk chair) ; wifi was good.
With a little attention to detail and user friendliness this could be a better place. Some things to think about - what might older travelers need? would someone want to actually sit at the table? does the ironing board and iron look good hanging on the bedroom wall, or should we hang it in the closet alcove? would I want to eat this breakfast?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Super 8 of Gettysburg, PA. We are conveniently located exactly one mile from the center of Gettysburg and two miles from the battlefields and the related attractions. We are positioned closely to the crossroads of US Rt 30 and US Rt 15, directly behind Perkins Restuarant. On your next visit to Gettysburg, please come stay with the Super 8 and enjoy our SuperStart breakfast, free wireless internet, and indoor pool/spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Super 8 Gettysburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Super 8 Gettysburg Hotel Gettysburg
- Holiday Inn Gettysburg
- Super Eight Gettysburg
- Gettysburg Holiday Inn Express
- Gettysburg Super 8
- Gettysburg Super Eight