“not nice in any way” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Monson, Massachusetts
“not nice in any way”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The auto train from FL arrived late, so we had to get a motel for the night. I always book online, but when I tried to get a room at the Days Inn where we had stayed just a few nights before, it said they were sold out - probably because of all the good reviews. I thought I might get a room if I called, but no, they were really sold out. Apparently the same person owns the other hotels nearby and the person on the phone said he'd recommend the Super 8, it had good reviews. He booked me at a price of $75 plus tax for one night. (If I had booked online, it would have been $69 plus tax).
I don't know why this hotel has any good reviews - it looks like it would blow over in a strong wind; it smells funny from the time you walk in the door (and I'm sure someone had been smoking cigars in our non-smoking room); I had to go to the breakfast area to get a chair for the desk in our room (desk clerk said she'd "check on" one for us but never called back); there are stains on the ottoman; the sink runs VERY slowly; shower handle difficult to use - they have a little slip of paper with instructions, but my; husband didn't see it; there was a lot of noise from children running around in the room above us, that finally stopped at 10 pm; my husband needs a night light in the bathroom but there was none, so we had to leave the bathroom light on with the noisy fan running all night; breakfast was mediocre.
There were a few things that were OK. Our room on the first floor had 2 double beds (comfortable), microwave, fridge, 2 huge upholstered chairs (but no desk chair) ; wifi was good.
With a little attention to detail and user friendliness this could be a better place. Some things to think about - what might older travelers need? would someone want to actually sit at the table? does the ironing board and iron look good hanging on the bedroom wall, or should we hang it in the closet alcove? would I want to eat this breakfast?

Room Tip: check out the Days Inn next door
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Welland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Have never stayed at this hotel, though I've been to Gettysburg many times. It was a nice surprise! It was clean and the staff were very nice. Great value in Gettysburg with an indoor pool and breakfast included. Location was good and the Perkins and Dairy Queen are in front of the hotel, within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Blackwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I brought our dog with us to see Gettysburg Military Park. We arrived around 4 pm and were quickly checked in by a young woman who was friendly enough. The dog was allowed in through the lobby to get to our room, and there was a side entrance complete with a large grassy area and a "poop station" (bags and a garbage can) that was easy access from our room. The room was clean (the remote control was a little icky but they always are). My only real complaint was the pillows: there were plenty of them but they were small and lumpy-looking, which didn't exactly entice me to sleep on them, but the bed was comfortable and the bedding warm and clean. The hotel itself is just outside of downtown: less than 2 miles and totally walkable if you're into that. There are several other hotels nearby and a Perkins in the parking lot. Breakfast was good, make yourself blueberry or plain Belgian waffles, cereal, yogurt, apples, cinnamon rolls, toast, coffee and OJ. If we were heading out that way again with the dog I would definitely stay here again.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Friendly staff, clean rooms, good location. Pool was too cold for an indoor and the smell of expired batter kind of ruined the ides for breakfast, but no other issues.

Brian N, Front Desk at Super 8 Gettysburg, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for enjoying our hotel. I am glad the rooms and location met with your approval, and that the staff made you feel welcome. I do apologize for the pool being a little too cool for you, and am sorry about breakfast. We look forward to doing better on your next visit
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The hotel was great and the pool and hot tub was very clean. Heidi at the front desk was amazing and a great help with figuring out where we should go to eat and what we should see. I would definitely stay there again.

Brian N, Front Desk at Super 8 Gettysburg, responded to this review, 4 days ago
I see that your stay was a very good one. The pool and spa are nice to relax in after a day on the battlefield. I am glad Heidi was a big help in planning your day and helping you find great places to eat. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Very new and well maintained hotel! Extremely friendly staff who have exceeded the normal good hospitality expected at a budget hotel. Actually doing a light load of laundry right now, which is free to use by guests! Wish I was staying another day!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Brian N, Front Desk at Super 8 Gettysburg, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for letting us know how our staff and hotel are doing. We will let the staff know that your stay was a good one in part to the service they gave. I'm glad you were able to use the free washer and dryer. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Been to Super 8 Gettysburg? Share your experiences!