“Pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

York Street, Gettysburg, PA
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 99 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This restaurant has recently moved from 51 West street in Gettysburg to York Street.
NY
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

My girlfriend and I showed up on Friday night, and this place had the shortest wait time, so El Costeno it was.

There is a nice waiting area outside when it is warm enough, also tables to eat at outside as well.

The decor is nothing to write home about, but the food was very enjoyable. I feel that many Mexican restaurants only put one ingredient in their tacos or burritos then everything else on the side.... El Costeno puts in all in the shell, then other addons on the side. For that one reason I love this place!

El Costeno is a BYOB.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Columbia, Maryland
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I ate at El Costeno the other night. We both ordered the chicken fajitas, and we enjoyed them. Along with the onions, tomatoes, and peppers, the fajitas also included mushrooms, which gave the fajitas a different flavor. My refried beans on the side were a little lukewarm, but I asked for some hotter ones, and they quickly replaced them.
The house salsa was tasty but mild. If you like your salsa spicier, you might be disappointed. We had flan for dessert. It was very good. Not too sweet.
It was a cold winter night when we ate at El Costeno, and every time the front door opened, we got a draft of chilly air. The first table we were given was next to a window, and there was a draft from the window. We asked for a different table which wasn't so chilly, and they did accommodate us.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“The Best in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our meals at Mazamitla. I had the chilis relleno, which was cheesy and just the right amount of sauce. The peppers had been roasted to perfection, and bursted with the chili flavor. My husband commented on the sauce he had on his burrito, thinking it was perhaps the best he had experienced on any other sauce. We shared the fried ice cream at the end of the meal, which was delectable. We thouroughly enjoyed our meal, the freshness of ingredients, and the quick polite service. The chips and salsa at the start of our meal was flavorful and fresh. We dream of our next visit, to this restaurant.

“Inside atmosphere not as good as out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Food was good, but a little disappointing, just need to splash it up a bit. Definitely ask for the spicy sauce on the side. Service was very friendly and attentive.

“Descent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Good Mexican food. The quantity is good. The flavors are ok. Wide selection on the menu. Lunch pricing excellent. Nice outside eating space. The staff wasn't as friendly as I would have expected.

• Visited August 2013