“what a great collection” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 36 attractions in Gettysburg
Type: Military Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Museum that was featured on History's "American Picker's" The Gettysburg Museum Of History has over 4,000 artifacts on display. The Museum is FREE TO THE PUBLIC! The Museum covers all areas of American History. Military and Political History are the focus with some pop culture covered. Some highlights include: A lock of George and Martha Washington's hair, Abraham Lincoln's wallet and opera glasses,John Wilkes Booth's splint relic, the largest collection of Gettysburg battlefield relics on display in Gettysburg, an autograph or manuscript from each president, Harry Truman's hat, Dwight D. Eisenhower's golf clubs, JFK's rocking chair, suit, and bloodstained limousine upholstery from the assassination, the flag that flew during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Shell casing from Ruby's gun that Killed Oswald, Hitler's silver that was captured by U.S. forces at his home. The Fredrick G. Pfeffer collection of relics from Pickett's Charge. The Robert L. White collection of JFK, The Captain Good collection (wounded in action at Gettysburg) includes the items he used during the battle and the bullet that wounded him! Uniforms,flags, accoutrements, weapons, documents, photos, much much more!The Gettysburg Museum Of History also buys artifacts as well as sells them. Please stop by and see the most amazing collection in Gettysburg at no charge!
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
“what a great collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Erik has some of the most incredible pieces in his museum. I could have spent the entire day there, even the kids enjoyed it. Not only are there pieces from the civil war, but pieces from other historical events also. This was the highlight of our trip, and will be one of the first stops I make on my next visit to Gettysburg. Don't miss this museum!

Hudsonville, Michigan
“Must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This museum should be a must do for anyone visiting Gettysburg. The vast amount of items is impressive! There was not a single room that I did not say "wow". I can not say enough good things about this museum. I only wish I had more time to spend there. My next trip I will certainly make sure I stop by again.

“Awesome Museum!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

This was one if the highlights of our trip to Gettysburg. My son and I are very interested in historical artifacts especially the civil war period. We have never seen a more amazing collection. I would recommend this museum as a must see during a trip to Gettysburg!!

3 attraction reviews
“So many things to look--and at no charge!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The Gettysburg Museum of History is a fantastic little stop to make. There are several rooms packed with items covering the past 150 years or so. I can't say that we believed that all the items were exactly what they were labelled as being, but that was fine because it led to conversation and thought. This is a place that I would definitely make another visit to, because I know there is no way I saw everything in the collection. Did I mention it's FREE?!?

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great little museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Read about this place online and this was the first place we visited in our most recent trip to Gettysburg. Lots of great Civil War artifacts as well as some really neat items from other eras. Very surprised this place is free to visit! Some really interesting items and many things are for sale.

Visited July 2013

Been to Gettysburg Museum of History? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Gettysburg Museum of History, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later