“Must see!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 62 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum that was featured on History's "American Picker's" The Gettysburg Museum Of History has over 4,000 artifacts on display. The Museum is FREE TO THE PUBLIC! The Museum covers all areas of American History. Military and Political History are the focus with some pop culture covered. Some highlights include: A lock of George and Martha Washington's hair, Abraham Lincoln's wallet and opera glasses,John Wilkes Booth's splint relic, the largest collection of Gettysburg battlefield relics on display in Gettysburg, an autograph or manuscript from each president, Harry Truman's hat, Dwight D. Eisenhower's golf clubs, JFK's rocking chair, suit, and bloodstained limousine upholstery from the assassination, the flag that flew during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Shell casing from Ruby's gun that Killed Oswald, Hitler's silver that was captured by U.S. forces at his home. The Fredrick G. Pfeffer collection of relics from Pickett's Charge. The Robert L. White collection of JFK, The Captain Good collection (wounded in action at Gettysburg) includes the items he used during the battle and the bullet that wounded him! Uniforms,flags, accoutrements, weapons, documents, photos, much much more!The Gettysburg Museum Of History also buys artifacts as well as sells them. Please stop by and see the most amazing collection in Gettysburg at no charge!
Hudsonville, Michigan
13 attraction reviews
“Must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This museum should be a must do for anyone visiting Gettysburg. The vast amount of items is impressive! There was not a single room that I did not say "wow". I can not say enough good things about this museum. I only wish I had more time to spend there. My next trip I will certainly make sure I stop by again.

“Awesome Museum!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was one if the highlights of our trip to Gettysburg. My son and I are very interested in historical artifacts especially the civil war period. We have never seen a more amazing collection. I would recommend this museum as a must see during a trip to Gettysburg!!

3 attraction reviews
“So many things to look--and at no charge!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

The Gettysburg Museum of History is a fantastic little stop to make. There are several rooms packed with items covering the past 150 years or so. I can't say that we believed that all the items were exactly what they were labelled as being, but that was fine because it led to conversation and thought. This is a place that I would definitely make another visit to, because I know there is no way I saw everything in the collection. Did I mention it's FREE?!?

Washington DC, District of Columbia
8 attraction reviews
“Great little museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Read about this place online and this was the first place we visited in our most recent trip to Gettysburg. Lots of great Civil War artifacts as well as some really neat items from other eras. Very surprised this place is free to visit! Some really interesting items and many things are for sale.

Stoystown, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
“A Must See!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have been here a couple times and just love it! So many things to see! Be sure to check it out if you love history!