“Very Disappointing!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Granite Hill Camping Resort

Granite Hill Camping Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Granite Hill Camping Resort
You added Granite Hill Camping Resort to your Saves list
3340 Fairfield Rd, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Flushing, Michigan
“Very Disappointing!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at Granite Hill Campground in early October of 2013 in a Motorhome. The campground hasn't been updated in several years. Our site appeared that it hadn't been cleaned up all summer - cigarette butts, bottle caps, twenty or more trimmed wire remnants, etc. The so called cable TV didn't work at all - o stations. In our 3 day stay, I was able to use the wi-fi hotspot for only about 10 minutes. The rest of the time I couldn't even find the signal, let alone get connected. There were an abundance of "stink bugs" on the outside of the Motorhome, a few of which made there way inside. At the next campground at which we stayed when I opened one of the bays, I was greeted with several hitch hiking "stink bugs" from Granite Hill. It is unbelievably overrated in the campground books. I would definitely not recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Granite Hill.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed Oct.4-Oct.7. This campground is very family friendly. The sites are not on top of one another,well shaded and clean. The Gettysburg parks were closed due to the Government shut-down, but the manager Candy, suggested ghost tours ,that you could get discount tickets there, and other places to visit. The grounds,cafe, and campstore all were very clean,and our teenage grand children had lots to do. They do have Good Sam, but do not honor it if there is a special event. We had our own camper,but they do have rental campers, and cabins. There is mini golf and many activites going on every day. I would highly recommend this camp ground just keep in mind their biggest events are Bike week and the Bluegrass festivals.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Catonsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

After reading some previous reviews we almost canceled our reservations. Had we not paid for the entire Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival in advance, we surely would have not gone. Reluctantly we went with very low expectations. The reviews we read could not have been further from the truth! Granite Hill was one of the better places we have ever camped at. It is not a Maryland State Park, but way better than any KOA! The staff was extremely attentive and on top of keeping the place clean at all times even though they were virtually sold out for the event. I never once found the bathroom dirty in any manor. They cleaned them 4 times a day weather they needed it or not. The Red Shed Cafe was a great place for my family to eat breakfast three out of the four mornings we were there. Breakfast for four for $20? How could that be possibly viewed as gouging? I went through the camp store and found nothing overly priced(beyond what all camp stores charge), even the cigarettes were just $.50 more than the gas stations in Gettysburg proper. I really do not know where some of these reviewers have camped that caused them to write such negative reviews. Perhaps 150 anniversary re enactors live like pigs and trashed the place, but that was far from my experience at Granite Hill. I keep thinking they must have gone to some other campground and are confusing names.
We played the mini golf course while there and really enjoyed the very challenging course. Like everything at Granite Hill, it was well groomed and taken care of. We had it all to ourselves since most were down at the stage listening to the music. The maintenance staff had turned off the water features since no one was playing, but the attendant made a point to fire it up just for us. Friendly, considerate staff were encountered every where we went. The kids went the next day and were not charged to play.
We liked the place so much we have reserved our space for next years, August, Bluegrass Festival.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Glastonbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We reserved our campsite for the week of July 4th almost a year in advance. When we arrived, we were told that the rates were raised by over $100. Staff's explanation was "we reserve the right". When we presented the email confirmation that listed our balance due, we were given the same response.
We were meeting 2 other families there and asked if we could switch sites to be next to them. We were told absolutely not, the sites are reserved. The site we wanted to switch to had no one r 3 days and 2 different campers for the next 3. Our space was 100 yards away and we had no one next to us for 3 days. Switch could have been made easily, especially after hitting us for the extra $100.
Bathrooms were a horror story, people say it's understandable with the large crowds, I do not agree. After gouging everyone that drove in for a week, how hard would it be to add a few temp staffers to powerwash (15 minute job) the rooms once a day???
I will never visit this place again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

This was a very last minute trip. Everyone here were very nice and helpful! There's plenty to do and its a beautiful place. We have a tent site and were impressed with how many shady areas there are to camp in. We will definitely come back and bring the kids!!

• Stayed July 2013
Sour Lake, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during our trip to Gettysburg. First thing was our electricity went off as they don't have enough amps etc. the roads are awful and we had to pay for 4 days when we only could stay 3 just to get a campsite. They are taking advantage of the time of year to gouge more money. The whole place needs improvements but they are not willing to spend any money on their business obviously. We won't stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013
Bedford, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have camped here before and will never do it again! When we arrived at the campground the rate was raised considerably from the time when we booked. We were told "the owners found out other places were charging a lot more so they upped the price." That is not right. Once a reservation and a non refundable deposit has been made, under no circumstances should the rates increase, especially with no notification whatsoever! We are a military family. The site says 10% military discount (except holidays) we stayed a week and were given no discount. Was told that "the owners said no discounts this week". I can understand not giving a discount for a day but for an entire week? We were not told previously that it would be blacked out. Seems to me that there is some major greed going on here!

On top of that nonsense, the bathhouse was disgusting! I know its rough to keep them spotless but seeing the same spider in the same place with its happy little egg sack every day shows lack of effort. Seeing the same mold in the shower 2 days after using said shower is disheartening. This caused me to look at the bathroom cleanup log they have. I looked before 7pm. It was already filled out for 7pm and 8pm. That to me, is pure laziness and disrespect.

Like others have said, some showers were scalding with no ability to change the temp. Some were freezing cold no matter how long you waited. Some showers you pushed the button once some showers I had to hit the button 3 times while shaving 1 armpit (and its not because i'm hairy!)

I'm very disappointed and have told everyone that I know to never camp there. From now on "Little Drummer Boy" and "Gettysburg Campground" will be getting my business. Even if they charge more, they haven't cheated me, cost me money, and disgusted me. I will be contacting the State Attorney Generals office about their bad business practice. We have a copy of the email stating our original balance!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Granite Hill Camping Resort? Share your experiences!