“Very disappointed, raised rates and dirty!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Granite Hill Camping Resort

Granite Hill Camping Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Granite Hill Camping Resort
Save Saved
You added Granite Hill Camping Resort to your Saves list
3340 Fairfield Rd, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Bedford, Pennsylvania, United States
“Very disappointed, raised rates and dirty!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have camped here before and will never do it again! When we arrived at the campground the rate was raised considerably from the time when we booked. We were told "the owners found out other places were charging a lot more so they upped the price." That is not right. Once a reservation and a non refundable deposit has been made, under no circumstances should the rates increase, especially with no notification whatsoever! We are a military family. The site says 10% military discount (except holidays) we stayed a week and were given no discount. Was told that "the owners said no discounts this week". I can understand not giving a discount for a day but for an entire week? We were not told previously that it would be blacked out. Seems to me that there is some major greed going on here!

On top of that nonsense, the bathhouse was disgusting! I know its rough to keep them spotless but seeing the same spider in the same place with its happy little egg sack every day shows lack of effort. Seeing the same mold in the shower 2 days after using said shower is disheartening. This caused me to look at the bathroom cleanup log they have. I looked before 7pm. It was already filled out for 7pm and 8pm. That to me, is pure laziness and disrespect.

Like others have said, some showers were scalding with no ability to change the temp. Some were freezing cold no matter how long you waited. Some showers you pushed the button once some showers I had to hit the button 3 times while shaving 1 armpit (and its not because i'm hairy!)

I'm very disappointed and have told everyone that I know to never camp there. From now on "Little Drummer Boy" and "Gettysburg Campground" will be getting my business. Even if they charge more, they haven't cheated me, cost me money, and disgusted me. I will be contacting the State Attorney Generals office about their bad business practice. We have a copy of the email stating our original balance!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Saint Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

we stayed at granite hill for a full week on site B12 the site has not shade. had to move my truck so the people on site B11 could get in and set up there site, the camp ground is very pretty . the maintenance on the other hand was not very good some of the maintenance staff were very very rude when you work with the public you need to be a little smarter than the wood your droping off.at $62 dollars a night for camping .I would expect better bathrooms. I don't pay $62 a night at Disney. it was the 150 th Gettysburg reenactment and the acted like there was nothing going on in town . it was the 4 th of july weekend and they had some lame DJ playing music. come on for the money the people were paying you could have done a better job. I would not stay at this camp ground again. Gary .B ST AUGUSTINE FLORIDA

Room Tip: back of camp ground is quieter
Williamsburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Ditto to the other reviewers... There are other places in the area, keep going! This place is not worth the money!! Not only am I not coming back, but I am warning all my friends to stay away!

We booked a tent site for the required minimum of 4 days. We felt like we were being gouged all the way... from the increased price since booking (without warning), to a FEE for arriving 30 minutes early, $8 for firewood ($4 in town), etc. They wouldn't let our family set up camp early without a fee, then let our neighbors come in at 9:45pm, who then stayed up until 1:00am getting settled. On the day we left, they sent new people to our site at 8:30 am.

To get to our site we had to drive down a deeply rutted, muddy, root filled, rock studded, branch covered "road." There was no flat site spot for a tent. There was NOT EVEN a fire ring. Just a picnic table. It was so muddy it was difficult to walk. The mud spread into cars and tent. We feared for branches falling on our tents on one windy night (we could see them from below).

Others have commented on the bathrooms... We found these fairly typical, ie. showers covered in hair, etc. But the bigger complaint was that the water comes on in 30 second spurts, or you have to keep one hand on the faucet the whole time. The water had such a smell to it my kids balked at having to shower there.

I was also disappointed to see so much garbage on the kid's playgrounds and the dirt and debris in the pool.

Though the staff smiled, we did not find them friendly. It was more like, "Sorry Sucker, you agreed to this when you booked your reservation."

Annapolis, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

first of all, we were promised a pit stove. we did not get a pit stove. in the manual it says no matter what to not burn a hole in the grass or to make a makeshift campfire out of rocks and wood. when we called the front desk for a pit stove, she told us to do exactly that. hesitant to, we didn't.
the map given to us was inaccurate and didn't portray distances or paths correctly. as a result, it was easy to get lost around the camp if you were going anywhere but the front office or your own campsite.
i don't know what they mean by 'resort', but this was definitely no resort. the showers all ran on completely boiling water, and some of them weren't temperature adjustable. they were also the types you had to press once and it would shoot water for ten seconds before you have to press the button again. the bathrooms were filthy and there were cobwebs and insects in corners.
a septic tank was right outside of a shower at one point letting out a deafening noise to where i couldn't even leave the bathroom without it being physically painful, and the smell--let's not even go there.
for $60 a night for just a tent setup with no hookup or anything, just a plot of land and a pit stove we didn't even get? no. no. never again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Like other people we took our RV and camped over the July 4th weekend. We were at site B11. We had a heck of a time setting up! Others have mentioned the trees and I can see how that would give you trouble. We had no trees, but we were perched on the side of a hill. We had to jack the RV up 5 inches on one side and we were still leaning. The bathrooms are outdated. I spoke with the cleaning lady and understand trying to keep it clean over such a busy weekend is crazy. However, this can be fixed. The doors are left open. Every other campground I have been to the doors are closed and there is AC or a heater. The showers are awful. We had no sewage at our sight so we used the bath house. We walked all over the campground and really did not see a great spot to put your rig or your tent. How some people got their motor homes in place was beyond me. The staff is friendly. We felt this campground was just sucking money from people. Just be careful booking here. There are other campgrounds in the area.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sevierville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Granite Hill July 2013. The roads to the camp sites are very narrow and its impossible to avoid the tree limbs. The trees along the very narrow gravel roads badly needed to be trimmed. There are no hard surface sites, and only a few gravel sites. We were given a site on the grass and it sloped so badly that our automatic levelers wouldn't even kick in. We tried to level manually, but couldn't get it anywhere near level and had to sleep with our bed sloped and as soon as you let go of a door, it swings wide open. Couldn't keep things from rolling off the counters either.

Murfreesboro, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I typically review everything before purchasing/booking and failed to do so this time. Had I read the reviews and not merely looked at the website, I might (probably would have) passed on this "resort." We booked a tent site for 5 nights during the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. Booking later than anticipated, we were given the only option of Berger Hill. Prior to arriving we called to see if any tent sites had opened up as Berger Hill was first come first serve. One had opened and upon arrival we looked at the hill and the site and opted for the site as we were cooking on the fire and only a handful (already taken) on Berger Hill had firepits. Our site was deep in the woods and very muddy. If you decide to book at Granite Hill I advise against Stoney Point. The sites at the top (lower numbered sites) are okay but do not book S4 through S7. Very low and muddy. The main issue we have with this campground is like the others....the bathrooms. Upon reading the reviews the issues are apparently long standing and the owners are unwilling/unable to make the repairs. The toilets themselves and sinks were clean part of the time. The cleaning people were actually in the bathrooms several times each day, but with 6 stalls and 6 showers and 6 sinks for about 150 campsites, there is no way they can keep up. Furthermore, in all of the state parks we have stayed in, the doors are kept closed with at least a little heat/air (depending on the season) which helps with the cleanliness of the bathrooms. These doors are wide open all of the time, which explains many of the comments of the filthiness of the bathrooms. While the sinks, toilet seats/back are cleaned frequently, most of the stalls are filled with bugs, spider webs (and egg sacks) and the bases of the toilets are quite filthy. The showers, also wiped down, are not really clean due to the elements. But, the big issue is that only THREE of the showers have hot water. Not one day, not two days, but all of the time. And, very frustrating was seeing several older people, one using a walker, that needed the handicap accessible stall that had NO HOT WATER so they were unable to shower. For the $50 per night charge we paid for a TENT site, I am quite disappointed in the bathrooms. Not only do they not all have hot water, they are push button. So, if you are lucky, you may get a bathroom that the button stays on for a full 30 seconds. But, if you are in line, which you will be from about 7AM to 9AM or 8PM to 10PM, you will get a shower that you have to have one hand on the shower button the entire time. IF this was an attempt at environmental conservation, I might have been more forgiving. However, as there is not ONE recycling bin on site, I believe it is more of an effort to save the owners money. The check in/store staff was friendly, but I would not stay here again. This is completely not worth the money paid. Very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Granite Hill Camping Resort? Share your experiences!