“Convenient” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Springfield, Ohio, United States
“Convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were next to the cemetery. It was walking distance from the motel to many of the main attractions.we could see some of the battle fields from the parking area. There was a very nice resteraunt next to the motel.

Room Tip: First floor was very convenient to all the amenities.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cindy R, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Gettysburg, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hi Vicky,
Thank you for choosing us for your recent visit to Gettysburg and taking time to write on Trip Advisor. The Comfort Suites is very convenient to town and as you mentioned, right next to the National Cemetery. Our most requested rooms are those that face the cemetery, for the quiet, the scenery and even for the curious ghost hunters!

Please visit with us again when you return to the area!

856 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is my first time writing a review, but I thought it was important for future visitors to know how convenient this hotel was. This was our first trip to Gettysburg, a family of four. It was Labor Day weekend and relatively crowded. The hotel is right between town and the Visitor Center. I disagreed with the front staff, as we were unable to walk to the visitor center. There were no sidewalks either there or into town. But fortunately it's a quick drive and parking isn't too bad, even for a holiday weekend.
My boys like lots of room and we always look for a suite hotel. A good night's rest always makes the next day better. We got the suite that could hold seven people for our little family of four, but well worth it. Lots of space, a little snug if seven were there, I would say at most five. It would have been nice if the bathroom was in the king size bed room so we wouldn't wake our kids when we were up at night, but we made do.
Nice, clean hotel. Pool was small but a nice diversion at the end of the day.
Breakfast was perfect to get you going. Try not to go right at closing time, as it gets much busier.
Would definitely stay there again. So glad it worked out.

Room Tip: Nice cemetery view!!
Dear Kim,

Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to write a review. We appreciate the kind comments! Being the closest hotel to the National Visitor Center is a great perk for us. Maybe we can all lobby for a sidewalk between town and the visitor center! I'm sure that would be a wonderful addition to our town! Generally though, it is very easy to drive and park at any of the Gettysburg attractions and restaurants and even our downtown area has street parking or a convenient garage.

Our 2 bedroom family suite is a great room for larger families or those, like yourself, who just want to spread out a bit. The in room microwaves and refrigerators make it easy to keep snacks and cold drinks on hand too,

We are glad you chose us for your stay and look forward to having you again in the future!
Niagara on the Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Room was very clean and quiet! Air conditioner was a bit noisy. Close to all of Downtown attractions. Prices quite reasonable! Would recommend for families and couples wanting to visit Historic Gettysburg! Pool was a wee bit small, would recommend building a outdoor pool they have enough parking space already.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking time to review our property. We are glad you enjoyed our terrific location, reasonable rates and overall had a great stay. We look forward to having you back with us on your next trip!
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is my first experience with this particular brand (of a conglomerate with about a dozen chains of hotels). It seems that what makes the rooms "suites" is an 18-inch (0.5m) projection that pretends to be a partial wall between the bed and couch areas. Fortunately, when you book online, their system does not call the rooms "suites", so I was not necessarily expecting one.

The rooms are quite large, however. The beds are extremely comfortable and the level of furnishings quite close to what you get in upscale chains like Hilton (for example, the entire bathtub/shower is lined in nice granite nearly to the ceiling). Only a few minor touches like plastic drinking cups and a below-window AC unit remind you that this is a mid-price hotel.

The hotel seems pretty new and wear and tear fairly minimal so far. The property is clean. My only complaints would be a slow elevator and not much breakfast left after 9am (it ends at 9:30).

The location of this particular property is very good. It appears at first glance to be in an isolated country area, but if you turn left out of the driveway you realize that you can reach the beginning of the town center within literally seconds by car and just a few minutes by foot -- so there are many restaurants within walking distance. It is also just a few minutes by car to the Park Service visitor center. The area across the road is mostly battlefield monuments. Most of the other chain hotels are on a rather unattractive strip on the other side of town, so this is much better. It does back onto a cemetery, but I think it's the famous cemetery of Cemetery Ridge.

Overall, a good place and recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the front of the hotel if you are bothered by looking onto a cemetery.
Dear Guest,
We are so glad you enjoyed your recent stay and thank you for taking time to share with others! Our over sized guest rooms do make this a great family choice and our location is very convenient to the National Visitor Center as well as town while being very quiet!
We're glad you enjoyed breakfast and please know we strive to keep everything fully stocked right up until it closes. On your next stay, please ask our breakfast attendant if you need anything at all!
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Brewerton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed there for one night recently to tour Gettysburg. We were amazed at the cleanliness of the public area as well as the rooms. The bathroom was especially enjoyed as it had an honest-to-goodness counter where one could leave toiletry items. The room had a nice seating area, 2 queen beds and a separate king bedroom with 2 TV's. If we were to make any suggestion it would be to provide a chair or two in the king bedroom. All the staff we encountered were helpful and very friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and stay there again in a heartbeat. It was right on Baltimore Pike and next to The Pike Restaurant so one can easily walk next door to great food. The morning buffet at the hotel had both hot and cold breakfast items and was more than satisfying.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cindy R, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our 2 bedroom family suite! Thank you for taking time to review your experience with us! Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in providing an exceptionally clean room and our large marble vanity does give you plenty of "spread out" room.
We do have a large variety at breakfast including the warm waffles, eggs and sausage, and the cold cereal, yogurt, fruit and pastries.
Remember us for your next get-a-way and for a romantic vacation try our whirlpool tub suite!
Hingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The fact that this hotel was able to accommodate a family of five in a comfortable way was
extremely pleasing. That the location was near the Battlefield Visitor Center was an added
bonus. The continental breakfast was also a plus and the children especially enjoyed the
waffles. Perhaps visitors should be reminded that the curtain over the air conditioner should
be kept back from the unit in order not to interfere with the air flow. We didn't notice this
on our first night and we were quite warm. The pool is tiny but the children enjoyed a dip
after a busy day of sight seeing. Every question asked of the staff was answered in a friendly
manner. We particularly liked the idea that in lieu of a daily change of linens one could opt
to receive a $5 discount in the spirit of saving resources. The Comfort Suites of Gettysburg
lived up to its great reputation as reported on this site.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Judy,
We are so glad you found our spacious rooms comfortable for your family of 5 and we appreciate your valuable time in sharing your thoughts! Our 2 queen beds and pull out sofa do make this a great choice for larger families and we also have several 2 bedroom suites for those that require even more space!
Our "Opt Out" green choice is a very popular option and we are glad that is was a good choice for you! We will certainly use your AC tip for future stays and look forward to having you back with us again!
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Warning, this review will sound nitpicky – only because there was so little wrong with this fine hotel.

We wanted to go to Gettysburg for a history tour and ghost tour. It sounded like a long day so I researched a room. Pricing was pretty reasonable for most hotels. The Comfort Suites had among the best reviews and I figured being ‘suites’, the rooms would be a little larger. Consistent pricing of $119 for a weeknight for a 2 queen bed room was found on several sites. Being unfamiliar with the area, best locations or if I really even needed a room, I decided to call the hotel.

RESERVATION:
Brooke answered. She said I could get the $119 rate over the phone (AAA)…same as internet. She further said the were plenty of rooms at this rate on the night in question so I need not rush to judgment. She also answered some questions on location, tours etc. I thanked her and hung up. I thought about it, called back and made a reservation. She seemed so nice I figured I could not go wrong. She remembered me on check and offered us a street view or cemetery view room. Since the kids were looking for a ghost tour…we took the cemetery view. Brooke was great. Check in was fast and simple.

LOBBY:
The lobby was very well appointed with a large check in area, a waterfall, a small sitting area with stone fireplace, a small office area (pc/fax/printer/computer – which someone was using). Rooms and the elevator were to the left, pool / exercise room to the right, small breakfast (continental included) in back of the waterfall. Vey clean but with noticeable smell of the pool.

POOL:
We did not partake the pool – too little time. It is one of the few things that I would consider disappointing though. Why such a lovely hotel would put in such a small pool in escapes me. If a family of 4 were in the pool, anymore would be a crowd. I peaked in the exercise room facing the pool…not much there…a stepper, treadmill and something else. I did not see weight equipment. No big deal to us. So far as I know, there is not outside pool.

BREAKFAST AREA:
Small tables of 4 surrounded by a drink station, waffle making station, sausages, dand muffins. My family enjoyed the food. We took food to our room. There were empty tables but I can see this being tight when the hotel is at high capacity. I am not a breakfast person…wish they had some cookies!

ELEVATOR:
There is one elevator…its slow. No big deal…I usually take the stairs anyway.

3rd FLOOR HALL WAY:
This was another perhaps nitpicky thing but the hallway, off the elevator walking to our room…stunk! I have no idea what it was. The carpet looked clean. It was not chlorine. No idea…it stunk though. Again, since it did not permeate to our room…no big deal.

ROOM 306:
Our suite was really nothing more than a regular room but longer. The extra space though is welcome when travelling with 2 adults and 2 teens. The room is well appointed with quality linens and furniture to boot. Upon entering the room is a small desk with shelf for working. Across from that is the bath. It was quite large. A coffe maker was sitting here with tissues, toiletries etc.. The hair dryer was small and I wish I had my own…and I’m a guy. It got the job done though. The toilet and shower were clean showing little wear. Towels were a plenty including LARGE bath, smaller and face. They were a little on the hard side but fine. There was a bath fan that came on with the light. We never ran out of hot water.
Just outside the bath was a small sofa / table area. The sofa opened to a small bed if necessary. There was also 2 queen beds, firm but comfortable. A flat screen tv sat on a dresser along with a nice size refrigerator and microwave. There was also a 2 door closet with iron, ironing board, safe and wooden hangers.
Lighting was little dim consisiting of a ceiling light where you walk in and two table lamps.
The room was quiet..again…I was told it was not near capacity…can not really comment on how ‘thick’ the walls are. I like it VERY quiet…and it was.
The room was a little stuffy…it was one of those days where it was cool outside but humid. The room felt humid. Turning the ac down did not seem to help. Suddenly, in the morning, after we opened the curtains, it started to cool down real quick. Odd I thought. It seems there is a plastic deflector meant to catch the curtains when they close and keep them off the ac unit. When the kids closed the curtains, they were out of position blocking the ac. Oh well…it was not that uncomfortable or I’d have gotten up to adjust the unit and noticed earlier.

WIFI:
WIFI worked fine but I sometimes got a ‘too many people logged on error’…but then I’d just choose another connection…they had many….not sure if it’s a problem when the hotel is at capacity.

LOCATION:
The hotel is located about a quarter mile from town. While there is no sidewalk the road has a wide shoulder and there was not much traffic…definitely walkable. Still, it was a Monday and though many folks were walking around town, we drove and got a spot on the street for our ghost tour. I suspect parking could be a problem in town on a busy night…if so, the hotel location is in walking distance. A little further in the opposite direction is the visitors center. I’d recommend driving to that.

Would I stay here again? Definitely! The only real reason I can see a family NOT wanting to be here was if you wanted a decent size pool.

Room Tip: AWESOME PLACE but...if you need a pool for the kids this may not be the place...its very small..Oth...
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to share your experience. We are glad you found the hotel to be convenient and accommodating. We do have a great staff and I will be sure to share your kind remarks with Brooke!
We also take all of your comments to heart and use all feedback to continually improve giving each guest the best possible stay!
We look forward to having you back on future visits!

Been to Comfort Suites Gettysburg? Share your experiences!