“Glad we stopped in during our tour of Gettysburg” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 36 attractions in Gettysburg
Type: Historic Sites
Attraction Details
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Glad we stopped in during our tour of Gettysburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 NEW

We just happened to walk past on our recent visit to Gettysburg and decided to stop in. We are sure glad we did. The folks were all knowledgeable, incredibly friendly and quite helpful. Our tour guide was Myra who was delightful. She had a wealth of information and enthusiastically shared it with us. The exhibits and her commentary gave us a vivid sense of what life was like during those difficult times. Go on a Friday so Myra will be your guide.

Visited July 2014

3 attraction reviews
“For the Lincoln Enthusiast, well worth $6.50!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

This was our 2nd stop in Gettysburg and we were very happy we decided on coming! The price was surprisingly undervalued at $6.50! The staff is incredibly friendly and 2 docents happened to be on hand for historical questions. As a Lincoln enthusiast, this place was the icing on the cake. The room/bed he spent the night in prior to delivering the famous Gettysburg address is entirely preserved! Lincoln revised his address the night he stayed here. The museum has two informative short videos and provides info in each room. This was a truly memorable experience as you feel as though you've stepped back in time to the evening Lincoln had arrived here.

Visited June 2014
Owings Mills, Maryland
71 attraction reviews
“Informational, but not sure it's worth $6.50”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This museum primarily contained information about Lincoln's visit to the house when he came to give the Gettysburg address. It does give a little information about David Wills and effects of the battle suffered by the community of Gettysburg. It also touched on the various opinions and reactions to Lincoln's Gettysburg address. Because this is one of the last museums we visited on our trip, we heard almost all of the information before. The two brief films shown were good and it was neat to see the bed that Lincoln stayed in during his visit. The museum is really only four rooms and took less than 30 mins to go through (including watching the films). I liked it, I just felt it was a little minimal and covered information that was more thoroughly covered in other Gettysburg museums. With all this said, I'm not sure it was worth $6.50, although there are worse things to can give your money to than the National Parks Service, so I'm not upset I spent the money.

I'm a 5th grade teacher-- I don't think kids below middle school would get much out of it. The majority is reading information with nothing really hands-on.

Like many attractions in Gettysburg, you get a $1 discount if you have AAA. It's definitely not worth it to get AAA solely for this reason, but if you have it, be sure to bring it to take advantage of the discount.

Visited July 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
62 attraction reviews
“Great glimpse into history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This is the home where Abraham Lincoln stayed during his visit to Gettysburg to help dedicate the National Cemetery. Great reconstructions of the rooms in the house as they appeared in 1863, excellent displays to help visitors return in time to the town post-battle and prior to Lincoln delivering one of the most memorable speeches (if not THE most memorable speech) in history.

Visited March 2014
Poughkeepsie, New York
8 attraction reviews
“Why did I wait so long?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I have driven past this place a thousand times without stopping in - so today I decided to go in. I'm really glad I did! The woman who greeted me was friendly and helpful, and the place was VERY interesting! This is the house where Abraham Lincoln stayed on the night of November 18, 1863, and where Lincoln finished writing the Gettysburg Address. The bed where he slept has been preserved and is on display, along with other artifacts. There are informative videos and a terrific diorama of the town as it was in 1863. There is an elevator, but the stairs aren't insurmountable. I really, really liked it.

Visited May 2014