“Beautiful from every angle” 5 of 5 stars

717-334-1124
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 36 attractions in Gettysburg
Type: Battlefields, Historic Sites, National Parks, Monuments/ Statues, Cemeteries, Tourist/ Visitor Centers
Activities: Driving
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Site of one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful from every angle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We Loved touring the battlefield. We first did it on a bus tour. Then we wanted to drive around and check it out for ourselves. We were able to go inside of the shop where we started the tour from and we bought a map. Then we went for a walk. We did the solders museum where the girl name Rosy (I think) was very nice. Then went into The Ghost store next door. The young man in there was very nice and helpful. He told us about a package plan where you can do 5 museums in a cheaper way. He then sold us a driving tour CD and advised us on where to go to see the best battlefield spot. I would highly recommend that every one follows in my steps. Bus tour then map then CD to explore. And do the package deal to see the museums. We did 5 and had a lot of fun. My children also loved to explore at devil's den. I liked the area of the spring. I think it was called Spangled spring. I am guessing it was named that after a flag.

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Step back in History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is a wonderful place, they really have done a great job in preserving this sacred ground. The last time I visited was fifteen (15) years ago and much has been done since that time. The new visitors center and museum is much improved and accommodates the crowds of this 150th anniversary year much better than the old space ever could. The battle fields themselves appear to be closer to the appearance also to what you would have seen had you lived back then during the civil war. The Cemetery can take your breath away with the sheer magnitude of the fallen. This is history you can see, read about, hold in your hand, walk through and feel a part of it. I will need to go back, so much more I have to see and do in Gettysburg.

NYC
7 attraction reviews
“Well done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We did the CD audio tour from our car and really enjoyed the afternoon. Would highly recommend this method of visiting the site.

Visited July 2013
Athol, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
“History comes alive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Impressive, touching, fascinating. Such a beautiful spot for such a terrible episode in our history. Cannot visit this without gaining a better understanding and awareness of our past.

Washington DC
28 attraction reviews
“Great time to visit Gettysburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had all been to Gettysburg some time ago and took the car tour. We had a cassette tape in the car that we bought, that should tell you something. This time we were in DC and decided to take the weekend to see Gettysburg. Things have changed, great welcome center, good auditorium to see the very well made film. I missed the large flat display of the park that used to be in the visitors center. This time we took the bus tour and found that it was very informative. The bus stopped at least 3 or 4 times so that we could get a closer look. At times it was difficult to understand our tour guide. Either they need to get a new mike and learn how to speak into the mike. There was so much information given and so much to see. I thought that the museum was big on splash but not so much on artifacts. I did find the short films in the various areas of the museum to be very interesting. Also the food served in the cafe was very good. I had chili with cornbread and my friends ate the hamburger. It was a wonderful day all in all. It really makes you think about what exactly took place at Gettysburg and also why there was a war to begin with.