“Didn't want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Berlin, Maryland
“Didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Innkeepers Alex, George and Heidi, the Wonder Dog made our trip one of the most, if not the most, memorable vacations I've ever experienced. I have drug my husband to many a bed and breakfast over the years including one that was rated one of the top 10 in the US by the Wall Street Journal [back in the '80s], but none has provided the feeling of being cared for and about as the innkeepers at the Raphael Inn did. Visiting Gettyburg left an indelible impression, but it was as much from the selfless, kindly nature of the innkeepers (including Heidi) as from the the horrors of the battle that waged on July 1st, 2nd an 3rd in 1863.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Redding, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

The gracious innkeepers made us feel so welcome and the service was terrific. The room was spacious and comfortable and the breakfasts were superb!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

The owners of the place make you feel so welcomed and at home! They always greet you with a smile and take the time to talk and ask about your day. They go the extra mile to help you and give lots of suggestions on places to see, and eat. The rooms are lovely and clean, and breakfast is delicious and filling. If you're a dog lover Heidi just adds to the place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

I came across this B&B by accident, and you can't imagine how delighted I was after being there for just 5 minutes. George and Alex, the couple running this B&B, were so warm, helpful, friendly, and welcoming. Staying at this place is like staying at your grandmother's house when she's in cookie-making, spoiling grandchildren-mode. The breakfast they prepared each morning (I was there 3 days) was on the same level as the best Parisian cuisine I've ever experienced, and the bedroom was like something out of a five star hotel. I could not give this place a higher rating: if the metrics allowed a 6th star, I'd give it. If you will be in Gettysburg overnight, take the time to find this hidden gem: you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Holtwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

This was a wonderful stay with fantastic service and happy, friendly hosts including Heidi the wonder dog. The breakfast was first rate, delicious, and beautifully presented. The conversation was warm and enjoyable. Great people, great stay. We'll be back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

My wife & I planned a trip to Gettysburg to see the historic sites. We weren't sure what to expect of the Raphael Inn B & B, but our stay there was definitely one of the highlights of our weekend. I would highly recommend this B & B....our stay was great!

George & Alexandra, our hosts, were very down to earth and we loved our conversations we had with them. They also really knew how to prepare a fantastic breakfast....the scones & pie were perfect! Their 'Paris Cafe' was well decorated and very comfortable. If you're looking for a B & B in Gettysburg that makes you feel right at home, then this is the one.

We loved our room too (the California Rose).....it was clean, bed was comfortable, and once again, well decorated. It could not have been a better stay! My wife & I also loved Heidi "The Wonder Dog"....what a cute little dog. She didn't bark or bite....she just loved to be next to you & loved being petted.

We think this B & B has everything needed for a wonderful stay in Gettysburg. The next time we come through town, we'll definitely stay here again!

Thanks again,
Robert & Rachel
Wilmington, DE

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Linwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I spent last weekend with my daughter horsback riding and touring the battlefield at Gettysburg. The weekend was exceptional, in large part due to the warmth and hospitality of Innkeepers George and Alexandra Escalera. From picking us up at the local airport to helping make reservations at a very popular dining establishment, they could not have been more gracious. Our room was perfect and the breakfast was as good as I have had at a B&B. They treated my 10 year old daughter as if she were their own grandaughter. In fact, when my daughter called home to speak to her sister, she advised her to never stay in a hotel again because a Bed and Breakfast is "a hundred times better!" I could not have said it better myself.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Raphael Inn? Share your experiences!