“The best ghost tour in Gettysburg” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“The best ghost tour in Gettysburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I've been on quite a few ghost tours in Gettysburg, but this is the one I find myself returning to time and time again. This is one of the only tours in Gettysburg where you will get to walk inside of a building to hear the ghostly tales. It starts with a walk around the general area with stops here and there to tell ghostly stories about what happened in the area you are standing at. They don't hold back on the details and encourage you to take pictures. Where you stop and when will depend on the tour guide and any changes that have been made to the walking tour. At one point you will sit down on benches to the side of the Soldier's Museum where you will hear tales about what happened at the orphanage. You will hear the tales of the two headmistresses in charge of the orphaned children, and how differently they treated the children. I don't want to give any information away, so I'll just say that some of the details might be a little hard to hear. After the walking tour is finished, you will then procede into the Soldier's Museum. The guide will make sure everyone is inside and then you walk down the steps into the basement. You will find benches to sit on in the basement while the guide continues to tell you more about what happened to the children inside of the orphanage with the most emphasis on the basement. Once the talking portion is done, you will then have a chance to roam around as much as the space will allow. This basement is on the smaller side, however, they make sure the tours are under 20 people in order to make sure it isn't crowded for anyone down there. The guide remains to answer any questions and will lead anyone who wants to view the crawl space back there to take pictures. The hallway leading to the crawl space is narrow with a slightly lower ceiling, so men would probably have to duck to go back there. The actual crawl space is a part where you will have no choice but to crawl, of course. I've never been able to get much on film back in the crawl space, but I do often get orbs in the hallway portion. Another good spot is in the center of the room near the floor, though not all of the guides will tell the story behind that spot. I mostly hear about it during the midnight tour with the psychic medium (the psychic is only there for the midnight tour). The midnight tour is the one where the lights will go off for a few minutes, but I've found that some of the guides will ask the people in the earlier tours if they would like the lights to be turned off. The guides on this tour seem to want to make sure you get as much out of this tour as possible, which is always appreciated. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in ghost stories or history!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Just rating the walking part. Basement review to follow .....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

This tour is also known as GHOSTLY IMAGES that in addition, runs the midnight in the Jenny Wade House also.

The Tour starts w/ the walking tour & midnight ends in the basement of the orphanage w/ a ...... medium?? Our tour guide was not the best at story telling but, he did try to be exuberate and took us to locations and had stories I've not seen or heard on my 6 previous ghost walks with other tour companies. Because of this I would recommned this tour. We thought the evening would have a big bone chilling ending! Right? SO WRONG! See my next review ........

Pasadena, MD
“Haunted Orphanage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Best tour of the weekend and we went on three "haunted" tours. Our guide, Cheryl, was great. She was a great story-teller, her voice was robust so even the folks in the back had no problem hearing her. She told the stories with emotion and was very interesting to listen to. Glad we were selected for her group. After a walking tour of the area, we went into the Soldiers National Museum where the orphanage had been located. I don't want to give anything away but I will tell you the tour ended in the cellar. Worth the price of admission!