“The Best B&B We've Experienced” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2350 Baltimore Pike, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #7 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hershey, PA
“The Best B&B We've Experienced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

Eileen and Dennis warmly greeted us and it was nothing but top-notch service from that point forward. The rooms were clean and well maintained, as well as comfortable and charming. Breakfast was homemade and delicious with a nice variety of foods and beverages. The location is perfect for access to all the are attractions, and we will not consider staying anywhere else when we return to Gettysburg.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

My family and I took a trip to Gettysburg and stayed at the Lightner Farmhouse. The owners are so kind and welcoming. When we first entered the house we were told about some history of the home and the original owner. We chose to stay in the Walnut Cottage which was so comfortable, clean, and cozy. All the attractions of Gettysburg are only 5 minutes from the B&B. Breakfast was wonderful in the morning. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

My husband and I recently returned from our Gettysburg vacation. We stayed at the Lightener Farmhouse and it was a fabulous experience. Eileen and Dennis (the owners) clearly take great pride in their B & B and it shows in every detail. The house is warm and inviting. The breakfasts were incredible..not your typical B&B dry toast and stale donuts!! After a busy day on the battlefield, we arrived back at the Lightener where Eileen had made brownies and cookies for us!!! The location of the Lightener was perfect...close enough to everything but set back enough so that you are away from the crowds and really feel like you've stepped back in time. Eileen helped us arrange a tour with Miss Betty (storyteller) we also took a ghost hunting tour with Betty Roach. Both were great experiences and we highly recommend them. This was by far the best B & B experience we have ever had. We HIGHLY recommend the Lightener.

Stayed October 2008
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Long time reader, first time reviewer. I surfed all over before I decided to stay at Lightner. The decision to stay there was based on the very high feedback I saw from others. I am very glad we did. We only got to stay one night due to our schedule but well worth it and we do plan to return. If you want a very peaceful rest in a beautifully restored Civil War home then look no further. If your interested in history you have picked the right place. Just a couple miles out of town so you can drive in no time at all. I was concerned I wasnt going to be in town but now I am so happy we did this instead. Everything was really just right for us. We shared a home cooked breakfast of saugage, eggs, and toast with other travelors and met some fun and interesting people. The hosts really love being hosts and are the best. If you want the tour of a lifetime ask for Ms. Betty's paranormal tours. Two amazing photos we captured on the tour are attached. One from the battlefield with ectoplasm following my wife onto the battlefield and one very odd thing that appeared right in front of us while walking in the back field behind Lightner House at night.

• Liked — House, history, hosts
  • Disliked — Preferred a bit higher water pressure for the shower
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Naperville, IL USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

Our stay at Lightner Framhouse for a night was an enjoyable and comfortable slice of history. We were met upon arrival by one of the owners, Eileen, who took us on a tour of the Farmhouse and explained the history. It had been remodeled just before the Civil War and was used as a makeshift hospital to tend the wounded after the battle of Gettysburg. After the tour we were taken to our rooms which were good size and very comfortable. We had our 3 young adult kids with us, and they were given the Loft which had an abundant amount of space and 2 separate rooms. The location was great, 2 miles from Gettysburg and a mile or so to the Gettysburg Battlefield Historic Park. To top off the stay the breakfast the next morning of waffles and sausage was ample and tasty. I will be staying at this B&B in the future.

• Liked — Looks, Location and History.
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clymer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We went on our Gettysburg trip because it is all my 10 year old son wanted for his birthday. He is a huge history buff and a ghost lover. Nate wanted to stay in a old place so maybe he could have a ghost encounter. I found the Lightner Farmhouse on the net. It seemed perfect. You never know what to expect. We could not have been more pleased with this bed and breakfast. Not only were Eileen and Dennis wonderful to us, but they really went out of their way for our son too. The breakfasts were amazing! Nathan loved Jake the Cat. We loved the location and were really happy we did not stay in town. We stayed in the attic (which Nate loved)! It was great Nate stayed in the daybed and had a tv to watch and that gave my husband and I privacy. Everything from inside to outside was beautiful. I would stay there again in a heart beat. My only disappointment was that it wasn't long enough. Eileen and Dennis know the area and a lot of history. They are wonderful people! I give this bed and breakfast a 10 out of 10. I don't even have one thing to complain about. It was a wonderful weekend adventure and my son said it was his best birthday ever!

• Liked — location and Dennis and Eileen
  • Disliked — loved everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
justinjamesc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Absolutely beautiful area. Lots of history, felt like i was home with there kindness. Great ghost stories and ambiance. My wife and i highly recommend the Lightner Famehouse, just wish we could have stayed longer!!!

The waffles were awesome!

Stayed July 2008

Been to The Lightner Farmhouse? Share your experiences!