“The Best In Town” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Poconos
“The Best In Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

I've stayed at the James Gettys several times over the past few years and I've never been disappointed. Because I visit the town often, I've had to stay in other hotels/inns when availability dictated, and each of those times, I've left feeling like something was missing from my trip. No other area establishment compares to this lovely hotel - it truly feels ike home from the moment you enter your suite.

The staff is friendly and welcoming, and it's evident their first priority is for the comfort and well-beng of their guests. The delicious breads and pastries that are delivered to each suite each evening are always fresh - they are intended, along with the juice and fruit that accompany them , for the guests' breakfast, but they've never made it through the night in our room!
The suites are spotless and spacious, each consisting of a living room, kitchenette, separate bedroom and ensuite bath. The linens and towels are luxurious, as are the bath amenities - I found the sewing kit (thoughtfully added to the soap basket) a life saver when I lost a button on my way to dinner! The kitchenettes are well-stocked with everything from serving platters to wine glasses, and special attention is given to reflect the changing seasons: fresh apple cider in the fall, bright flowers on the butter dish in spring, even spicy Christmas teas in the winter. It's these little touches that keep us coming back time after time.

Refined and spotless as they are, the suites do have a comfortable feel that keep guests from having reservations about bringing children. The hotel manages to feel "lived in" without suggesting shabbiness in the least. Indeed, kids of all ages are most welcome here and the added space helps to keep the little ones from going stir crazy. Centrally located, one could spent days without having to move their car - nearly everything is within an easy walk from the front door.

I highly recommend visiting in the winter. The hotel runs excellent, economical specials during the winter months, with discounted rates on the rooms and additional discounts for multiple night stays. Christmastime in Gettysburg is a wonderful treat, and a stay at the James Gettys Hotel makes it all the more special.

• Liked — The comfort and hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — 2nd floor suites have very high ceilings - make the suites feel even larger.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2006

I stayed at the James Gettys Hotel in August. I booked a 4th floor room but then was put in the 2nd floor Union Suite room. I didn't appreciate not being given the room I had booked. I would have thought they would have contacted me before I got there if the room I booked wasn't available. Or at least asked if I wanted to cancel or be given another room.

For customer service, you need to ring a bell as nobody was ever at the desk. The hours were 7:30am-10:30pm.

Parking was in a back alley and a slip was given to place on the dashboard.

My room had filthy carpets. The entrance to the room and to the bathroom were black. The carpet was to be beige. The condition is either to a lack of cleaning as I noticed selective vacuuming in the room or just a lack of upkeep.

The refrigerator had fingerprints and a white film on the door. Under the sofa were food wrappers. A kitchen drawer had a dirty fork on top of a pot holder. It was not hidden but obviously housekeeping isn't very attentive.

Breakfast consisted of a muffin, or a slice of bread. I got a few grapes to go along with this and a small glass of orange juice.

I expected more from the write up of the hotel. The location was convenient to Lincoln Square and a short walk to the tours and National Cemetery. It was also walking distance to the Dobbin House.

My room was noisy from the cafe/bar next door. There was a patio right under my window and the patrons were there till 12am. Then above my bedroom was the bathroom of the room on the 3rd floor. So I heard the plumbing of a shower and every flush.

After the first night of the turn down service, my door was left wide open when I returned at 8pm. The service was at 5pm. So they left my door unlocked and open for 3 hours. nothing was stolen from my room but when I leave the hotel with a locked door, I expect to return to it locked.

The issues I encountered with the hotel are unacceptable for a return visit.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Abingdon, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

I stayed at the James Gettys Hotel with my two children, ages 11 and 8, for two nights last summer. We loved everything about the hotel, including our room (Sign of the Golden Cross Keys Suite), the wonderful breakfast, and the ideal location. The suite was clean and was decorated very nicely. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back soon!

• Liked — The beautiful suite and the wonderful breakfast!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

I recently stayed at the James Getty Hotel in Gettysburg PA for a weekend with my husband and son. We stayed in the John Troxell Suite and really enjoyed it. The suite has two rooms plus a large bathroom. The first room had a full size sofa plus a side chair, with a kitchen and stove, microwave and refrigerator. The small kitchen area was well stocked with coffee, sugar, dishes, glasses, wine glasses, etc. The hotel also brought a basket of muffins, cakes, and orange juice for breakfast. These were delivered the evening before and put in the refrigerator for the morning. It was very nice to wake up and be able to have coffee and a baked good in the room. The suite was very clean as well.

One word of caution...the suite does face the front street and the traffic noise in the morning could be annoying.

The bedroom had a queen size bed and the room was average in size. The only down side was the lack of a second TV in the bedroom.

The suite is perfect for a couple or a family of 3. There was a roll away bed for my son and he loved being in the room with the TV. This worked out well.

The hotel is centrally located in the heart of Gettysburg and is within walking distance of various shops and restaurants. We found several antique stores that were quite large with alot of variety.

During our weekend stay we did several tours. First, we had one of the licensed battlefield guides provide a private tour in our car. We were able to reserve this tour at the Visitors Center. If you are really interested in the detailed events of the war I would recommend this private tour. The cost was $45 for 2 hours and the guide was a wealth of information. However, this tour was just a bit too detailed for me, but my husband enjoyed it. I am not a Civil War enthusiast and would have been happy with the highlights. Other tours included the Shriver House which was quite interesting, which had confederate troops in the attic during the battle. We also did a walking tour and a ghost tour. The walking tour of the town turned out to be a disappointment. The guide did not have his stories polished, and I felt like he was actually not sure about his facts. The ghost tour was alot of fun, but I would recommend doing this at dusk. We reserved a 7pm tour and it was too light for such as walk. The ghost tour was the Ghosts of Gettysburg and the stories were alot of fun.

One of the restaurants we ate at was the Dobbin House. This was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone. However, it does book fast so be sure to make a reservation.

Overall, I would go back and stay at the James Getty Hotel for a weekend.

• Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2004

My wife and I stayed in the John Troxell Suite on a recent trip to Gettysburg. We both loved the accomodations. The hotel was centrally located to many popular attractions, as well as several excellent restaurants. Our suite, the John Troxell, was very spacious and comfortable. The in-room continental breakfast was also excellent. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again. The only slight disappointment we experienced was the noise at night. As the hotel is located on a busy downtown street, plan to hear some automobile noise at night. This was not a big deal. Although there is an outdoor seating area next door, neighboring merchants encourage patrons to leave the outdoor area by 10pm. Thus eliminating loud talking, laughing, sounds at night. The staffs #1 priority while you are a guest is your comfort and satisfaction. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and if you are sensitive to sound at night, we suggest requesting a suite with the bedroom on the back side of the building. You will LOVE your stay!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2004

lovely,delightful place to stay.Will definately return. Easily the nicest accomodations in Gettysburg.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2004

We just returned from Gettysburg this weekend. We stayed for two nights at this hotel. What a lovely place. We stayed in the Indian King Suite and our son stayed in the City Hotel Suite and I must say both were beautiful and immaculate. We were made to feel welcome and the home baked bread and fruit left in our suite each day was such a pleasant surprise. We have stayed in other establishments in the past but I must admit we will always make this our home away from home. What a find!

Been to James Gettys Hotel? Share your experiences!