“The perfect place to stay while in Gettysburg” 5 of 5 stars

James Gettys Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Chambersburg Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Charles Town, West Virginia
“The perfect place to stay while in Gettysburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

The service is absolutely first rate. We are left with the feeling that the staff was willing to go to any reasonable length to make our stay a grand experience. The rooms are spacious suites, and very, very clean. The amenities are all here. Breakfasts consist of freshly baked rolls and bread. Room costs are very reasonable. Our group has already moved to fill all the rooms for a similar event in 2011.

• Stayed January 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Did not book this on-line. Literally, showed up in Gettysburg and had to look in the phone book for a room, so had not seen the photos before booking. But what they advertise is "Historic James Gettys Hotel"...so naturally, and based on the entrance to the place, I am thinking it's going to have historic furnishings, etc. But in the end, I was rather disappointed. While the stay was fine and plenty comfortable, IMHO, the interior fell flat of adding any sort of historical feel to the place. Basically, what you get is dated 80's country decor. And I do have to agree with another poster on here, there was never anyone at the desk, and I am not sure who the lady was that was working there, but she was very brisk and rather rude though the younger college kid who was working the evening shift was very nice. Overall, I am surprised at all these over the top 5 star reviews quite frankly. We drove to NYC immediately following our stay in Gettysburg and found a 4 star hotel on the upper west side that was absolutely gorgeous for less! I do want to go back to Gettysburg, but I will try another hotel. OK. Just not impressive enough for the money.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Stephanie0917, Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2010
Thank you for your constructive criticism. I noticed that you stayed in 2007 and wanted to let you know that our rooms have been upgraded within the last two years. Our property is extremely historic, but we do not advertise historic decor. We want our guests to feel relaxed as though in their own home. Our best compliments are based on our 'home away from home'" feel.
Our lobby is historic as it was merely a simple entryway in the early 1900's, mostly for ladies who would not walk through a bar to check in to their room. Because of the small space, we do not keep a person posted at a 'desk', however our facility is staffed fully throughout the day. Our staff is friendly and kind, perhaps you caught one of us on a bad day and for that I apologize.
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

Stayed here for only one night in early April, the Hotel was in the heart of the town of Gettysburg and within walking distance of some of the shops, restaurants and some attractions (but not the battlefields). Clean spacious and quiet room, It is a small hotel, but one of the most comfortable place I have stayed in, Should we go back to Gettysburg, would not heisitate to stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

This was my family's second stay at this hotel. We were impressed when we stayed her 6 years ago, and we're still impressed. Our suite was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast muffins and bread are very tasty. Parking is easy and free and the hotel is right in the center of town and convenient to all attractions. For its location, I think it is priced quite fairly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
West Pittston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I have travelled to Gettysburg many, many times with my young daughter and other family members, and I have stayed at The James Gettys Hotel on numerous occasions. From my experiences, I can honestly say that this is one of (if not THE) best hotels I've ever stayed at!

From the moment you walk through the front doors, Steph and her staff treat you like their extended family. Their smiles and warm welcomes always make you feel at home. The entire place is spotless, and each suite is individually decorated with interesting layouts. From the cozy, intimate suites, such as the Union Hotel Suite, to the enormous Majestic Suite, you'll find full kitchens with all necessary utensils and appliances, ample living rooms, lovely bathrooms, and amazing bedrooms. The Majestic Suite, the hotel's newest addition located on the second floor in the rear of the building, goes even further by offering a wet bar, electric fireplace, and awesome jetted tub for 2.

Each evening, the hotel provides a turn-down service and delivers breakfast for the next day, which consists of fresh-baked breads and muffins, various seasonal fruits, fresh juice, and even a few chocolate treats for those nighttime munchies!

Parking is in the rear of the building, and the hotel provides easy access to the main lobby via a paved walkway along the side of the building. In addition, the hotel has an elevator for those unable to make the steps. If you're a smoker, the building is completely smoke-free. However, they do provide a smoking area outside of the second floor exit, which is quite convenient.

Although the hotel sits on a main street, it is generally quiet. There is a bar/restaurant next door that can get a little noisy during the summer months, but it has never prevented us from getting a restful night's sleep.

Located among many shops, restaurants, and tourist attractions, The James Gettys Hotel is a jewel to be discovered! I've stayed in over half of the suites in this hotel, and I honestly can't wait to go back and experience the other half. When in Gettysburg, this is my home away from home. You won't be disappointed!!!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Richboro, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

My two best friends and I typically spend a "girls weekend" away sometime in May. We chose Gettysburg this year as being a little more economical and closer to home. I was fortunate to stumble onto the James Gettys Hotel.

What appealed to me was that we could stay in the historical part of Gettysburg and walk to a variety of restaurants and shops, yet the suite was large enough for the 3 of us to share.

The suite was EXTREMELY clean and comfortable. The bedding and towels were not worn or torn as stated in prior reviews. Our request for additional towels was met immediately. The beds were comfortable and no one had trouble sleeping.

There was a full size refrigerator, small kitchen table, coffee maker, etc in the sitting area of the suite. This is a hotel that does not advertise free breakfast, so I don't know where that idea came from. However, every afternoon there were fresh cookies and chocolates delivered to the room as well as a turn down service. We also had a plate of muffins, fruit, and pastry bread every morning.

The service, room, and location were all wonderful. It was a pleasure staying at the James Getty Hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Overall, I was not impressed with the James Gettys hotel. The positive: great location (lots of little shops and restaurants within walking distance). The negatives: The lady working the front desk was incredibly rude. When we arrived to check in, there was a sign saying that the attendant had stepped away and to ring a bell for service (the sign was always up, there was NEVER an attendant at the desk). We waited a solid 15 minutes before someone finally came out to check us in. She was rude, short, and not welcoming whatsoever. We would see her throughout our stay and she never acknowledged us and seemed like she was there just to collect a pay check. Apparently pets aren't allowed, but two large dogs were roaming the "lobby" while we waited to check in and upon finally getting into our room, the couch was covered in what appeared to be white dog hair. The room itself was OK, but for the amount they charged it wasn't worth it. Our room was along the street which gets very loud at night, and oddly enough, semi-trucks travel the small streets through Gettysburg and it is loud, which makes it difficult to sleep through the night if you are a light sleeper (it didn't bother my husband but kept me up throughout all the nights of our stay). I could literally hear someone outside on the street sneeze and we were on the fourth floor (just gives you an idea at how thin the walls/windows are). The bed in our suite was a full size bed. My husband didn't realize that when he booked the room, so that's our fault, but he assumed that for $140 a night you'd at least get a queen sized bed.

In the end, it truly was more of a place to just sleep while we toured the town and the battlefield. We enjoyed our time in Gettysburg, outside of the hotel, and if we returned we would not stay there again.

Tip to travelers: If going there for the battlefield, definitely see the Cyclorama and the Museum at the visitor's center. We also paid to have the tour guide come in our car as opposed to seeing the field on a large bus; we really liked the one-on-one tour. You can ask whatever questions you like and you don't feel rushed. We also enjoyed the Eisenhower home. Save your money and do not pay for the David Wills home tour. It's where Lincoln stayed the night before giving the Gettysburg address. The home is now more "modern" and really the only thing worth seeing was the bed Lincoln slept in, but they charge you the same amount to see that as they do to go to the Cyclorama and Museum. It was only $6.50 a person, but my husband and I both agree it wasn't worth $13.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to James Gettys Hotel? Share your experiences!