“Rated #1 for a Reason” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 29 hotels in Gettysburg
Cudahy, Wisconsin
“Rated #1 for a Reason”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Charming and spacious room. Excellent kitchenette with full-sized fridge. Homemade breakfast basket was delicious. Beds were comfy. Super friendly staff. Within easy walking distance of many attractions and restaurants. Kid friendly. Free parking located behind building. Great value!! Would stay again in a heartbeat. Made us feel like we were valued guests and not just tourists.

Room Tip: Third floor was extraneous noise-free.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Trisha1996, Assistant Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your review! We value each and every one of our guests! Gettysburg is primarily a tourist destination, but our clientele varies widely. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay – please visit us again soon!

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Bethany Beach, DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Let me explain. The hotel was fantastic. I have no complaints about the staff or it's amenities or the location. My only complaint was that we booked the last room they had available for the weekend (the ziegler-holtzworth suite). The room itself was fantastic. However, when we tried to sleep at night, the noise from the alley down below was disruptive. Our room was right over the bar alley of the Blue Parrot Bistro, so all the noise rises. Bar patrons got noisy around 10 p.m until the bar closed. Luckily, the bedroom had a separate door from the living room/kitchenette area, so we slept on the couch until around 2 a.m. with the door closed (that helped keep out the noise downstairs) and then went into the bed to sleep. I would absolutely stay here again, just not in this room. The location was within walking distance from all the shops and restaurants and about a mile or so from the park.

Room Tip: Avoid the ziegler-holtzworth suite for a good night's sleep. Pick any other room but this one o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Trisha1996, Assistant Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hello!

Thank you so much for staying with us this past weekend and for your praise of our hotel and staff. We enjoyed having you as our guests!

I am very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the Zeigler-Holtzworth Livery Suite and the noise issue from the Blue Parrot. To say that we never have noise issues, being in town and at close quarters with neighboring businesses, would be a falsehood, but I hope that you will believe me when I say that we work very hard with the management of the Parrot to keep these issues to a minimum.

While the Blue Parrot does not draw an overly large college crowd during the school year, this past weekend was Reunion Weekend at Gettysburg College and the Blue Parrot is a very popular locale for alumni. This is not an excuse for the noise, but it is an explanation.

As you mentioned, you reserved the last room we had available this past weekend. For future stays (of which I hope there will be many!), I would recommend calling us in advance so that we can help you choose a room in a different location in the hotel.

The Zeigler-Holtzworth Livery Suite is a great room for families and is situated far enough back on the building (away from the side door of the Blue Parrot) that under normal weekend circumstances, it is actually a very peaceful room. I’m very sorry that you did not have this experience in that suite.

Again, thank you so much for your comments! I hope you will stay with us again in the future to enjoy one of our other beautiful suites!

Painesville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I recently took a trip to Baltimore and decided to extend our time away with a few days in Gettysburg. I chose the J.G. because of the location and amenities that are offered. I am so glad I did. We stayed in the Majestic Suite and felt like royalty. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Trisha1996, Assistant Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
I'm so glad you decided to extend your trip! Gettysburg and Baltimore make a great combination of destinations - two different periods in American history, but both so very important! I'm pleased that you felt like royalty in our Majestic Suite and I hope you'll stop by to let us pamper you again in the future!

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We've stayed at James Gettys Hotel many times, and each is better than the last. Central location and amazing accommodations. The staff is both friendly and knowledgeable, breakfasts are delightful, decor is top notch. Try Lord Nelson's Suite for a real treat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! It is a pleasure for us to have wonderful guests who love the hotel as much as we do. The Lord Nelson's Suite never ceases to be a guest favorite; thanks for mentioning it!

We always look forward to your next stay!
Linthicum Heights, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The James Gettys IS the place to stay. I needed to plan an absolute flawless mother/daughter trip in mid April to celebrate her near 18th birthday and graduation. I researched all my choices from where to go and where to stay. The James Gettys was it. We have never been to a B&B before. We wanted to experience that and be close and personal to the history. You can't go wrong with the James Gettys! It's vastly rich in history and close to it all. We barely needed our vehicle.

From the moment I made my reservation, I already felt welcomed with personalized emails and answers to my questions to make our stay enriched and guided. My contact was Catriona, who superb. She even helped us hire a private tour guide for the town. Unbelievable! I couldn't wait to meet her! She was incredible, warm, friendly, and actually remembered our email conversations.

The hotel itself is located in the middle of everything! The Square, the Church, the Wills House, dining establishments, shopping. You'll miss NOTHING! and if you do, it's your fault! Our accommodations were perfect. 1920's décor, with modern conveniences. (the hotel is actually older than that.) I cannot even begin to describe how pristine everything was! Housekeeping is "off the hook" impeccable! The bed was comfortable and the pillows plentiful. My daughter slept on the sofa because of the television and was perfectly happy, slept peacefully regardless of our Keystone Suite being street side. I personally think "street side" noise is part of the charm. The "breakfast" baskets are to die for. Each night we looked forward to it. Honestly, for us, they were wonderful midnight delights because we were so busy touring! Just the same! It was so wonderful to come "home" to!

Don't pass up Lord Nelson's gallery. There is public access, but also hotel access. We love art. My daughter is an art student. We visited there more than once. Each time we discovered and appreciated a little bit more. It is vastly impressive!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! I’m so glad you let us be a part of this memorable trip. Please visit us again in the future and best of luck to your daughter at college!

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Located right in downtown Gettysburg, this is a perfect place to stay for a weekend in Gettysburg. They provide parking directly behind the hotel, so your car is easily accessible, but you rarely need it. Great food, shopping, and lots of the history of Gettysburg are right at your doorstep. Plus, a delicious, simple breakfast in the morning, perfect way to start your day!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Trisha1996, Assistant Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your review! We love our location too - there are so many fine shops and restaurants nearby, not to mention entertainment! We enjoyed having you stay with us and I hope you will return soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the James Gettys couldn't have been nicer. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful, the location was ideal (half a block from Lincoln Square, the town "center"), and our suite was comfortable, beautiful, and spotless. It is obvious how much care the staff takes-their attention to detail was remarkable. We were greeted by a plate of some of the yummiest cheese and chocolate we've ever had, and our juice and cream for the next morning's breakfast was already in the fridge, along with a fruit and muffin basket. The suite felt so warm and homey, that I am almost sad we did so much sightseeing. We were also delighted that the room was made up while we were out so that we didn't have to come back to a messy bed or our breakfast dishes in the sink. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay - we love to pamper our guests! There is so much to see and do in Gettysburg, it can really keep you on the go, especially the first trip. Perhaps on your return trip, you'll find more time for relaxing in your suite! I hope you'll visit us again soon!

Catriona

Been to James Gettys Hotel? Share your experiences!