“excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gettysburg Heritage Center

Gettysburg Heritage Center
297 Steinwehr Avenue, Gettysburg, PA 17325 (Formerly American Civil War Museum)
+1 717-334-6245
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 31 Attractions in Gettysburg
Type: History museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover... The Town, The People, Their Stories. Bordering the Gettysburg National Military Park battlefield, the Heritage Center is an educational and entertaining experience for families and tour groups of all ages. Learn what the Battle of Gettysburg meant to the people who lived here during the war. Utilizing artifacts, historical documents, interactive displays, and 3-D productions, visitors will gain a better understanding of the events that took place in the town before, during and after the battle. Find out how the people reacted to the invasion of the town - freeze, flee or fight? Hear accounts of ordinary people doing extraordinary things in a time when their home was in turmoil.
Nottingham, Pennsylvania
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2015 NEW

I cannot say how many times I have been here. I can tell you the customer service skills are up your alley of 100%

Visited August 2014

“Amazing!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015

I highly recommend a visit to the Heritage Center for anyone coming into Gettysburg or even for those who live here. I have lived in Gettysburg for 12 years and have driven past the center thousands of times, but never went in. My son and I went in last friday and got a tour. It was fabulous. The inside is was beautiful, the layout was great, but the information was amazing. The center focuses on the citizens of Gettysburg after the war and what happened to them and the town. There were video presentations, some in 3D which my son loved, great replicas of the town itself along with real artifacts. The information on the walls and the videos were great and kept my sons attention throughout. I highly recommend the Heritage Center for all ages. There is so much to do and see.

4 attraction reviews
“A Must Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2015

As a local, we highly recommend visiting the Heritage Center for its updated experience. Where the Visitor Center focuses on the Soldiers of the Civil War, the Heritage Center speaks about the residents of the town of Gettysburg. Best gift shop, too, and much cheaper than the Visitors Center. Rent the Ipad tour of the Battlefield while you are there.

Visited December 2014
Biglerville, Pennsylvania
“President's Day Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

I took advantage of a free admission day for Adams Countians. I thought the center was very interesting coming from the town's point of view. I liked the 3D pictures and video (glasses provided). Tidbits of information were interesting and easily read. The center was spacious. The artifacts were nice. The show was updated and had nice graphics showing where the fights were each day (reminiscent of the Electric Map lights). It not only showed the 3 day battle but also the horrible aftermath of the battle in the town. Can you imagine seeing all those soldiers' bodies and dead horses? And the stench in the hot summer? I highly recommend the Gettysburg Heritage Center!

Harford, Pennsylvania
“Impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

Since I had very good memories of the old Wax Museum, I was a bit leery of this new museum that has taken its place. I was very pleasantly surprised. This museum is well laid out, with impressive replica facades of some well-known buildings from around Gettysburg. Extremely well-produced video presentations brought the battle experience to life. Particularly impressive is the emphasis on the first-hand narratives of the local citizens who suddenly found themselves in the middle of America's largest battle. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed my visit.