“Great stay, great food - love this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gettystown Inn Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gettystown Inn Bed & Breakfast
You added Gettystown Inn Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
89 Steinwehr Ave. (Business Route 15 South), at Dobbin House Tavern, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #17 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Castleton On Hudson, New York
“Great stay, great food - love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed in Aunt Holly's Garden Suite during the 150th Battle of Gettysburg anniversary week. Loved the room, period décor and private side entrance. The bedroom and bath are upstairs; clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and the complimentary breakfast was great! We have visited Gettysburg several times and always dine at the Dobbin House - food and service is also excellent!
Only one "con" to report - we booked the room with the understanding that it would accommodate 4 adults. The pull out sofa in the living room should NOT be considered suitable for an adult bed. (The ONLY reason I have given an average rating under rooms). The couple who got this bed didn't get much sleep!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here during the big 150th commemoration of the Battle of Gettysburg. Appreciated the personalized service, the quick attention when needed, and the overall excellent service. The accommodations have not changed since last time we were there, which include a firm queen-sized bed, a twin daybed, a decent bathroom, and a mini-fridge. There is a small porch with a two-seater bench in front. It is part of the inn, but feels separate with the separate entrance.

Breakfast is bountiful with fresh muffins and bread, and a hot entrée. Biscuits and gravy, eggs and waffles are among our favorites. Breakfast is served in the Dobbin House across the parking lot between 8:30-9:30. The staff is terrific, and treat you like family. Improvements could be adding Wi-Fi, and perhaps, a little more choice in seating. Prefer a King Sized or two smaller beds to the queen, but it works out.

Room Tip: For privacy, choose a room with a separate entrance to the inn, such as Lee or Meade.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lewiston, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is right in the heart of the town. We stayed in the Stuart Room in the old house next to the Dobbin House Tavern. The room was small, but very comfortable (although the window A/C unit beside the bed was a little loud). A fridge was available in the room along with complimentary juice and snacks -- a nice touch. The breakfast was served in the Dobbin House and at first, we were puzzled about how to get in -- but once we figured that out -- it was wonderful. Everything was delicious and very hearty portions -- plus served piping hot. Check in is in the gift shop of the Dobbin House and that, too, is a little confusing. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you visit the Gettysburg Battle museum and I'd recommend a personal guide who will dri...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Augusta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed 4 nights, this past March, it was $92 up until April per night, normally around $145 in season, they only had 3 open nights in the Meade Suite, so the 1st night was in the Lee suite, for my Wife & I, we did not care for the Lee suite, very poor lighting, very small, the only good thing, was a large bathroom, small older Tv, needs updating, & no WIFI, they need it, the whole town has it, they said you should be able to connect to another free service nearby, we never could, it was aggravating not having internet for our Laptop, as we not only wanted to check email, but also info on the battlefield & town, the next 3 nights, we moved next door to the Meade Suite, same price, but huge difference, it had a nice sized kitchen, with Microwave, & sink & cabinets, & counter that the other room did not have, huge bedroom with the front room that the other suite had, built into the same room as the bedroom, but had a huge closet for hanging clothes & plenty of closet floor room, huge old style dresser for all our stuff, a small but new flat screen Tv, still no WIFI, a bigger porch to sit on, but besides the no internet, the biggest issue, was, on our 2nd day, it snowed 6 inches, well the city & Dobbin house both, do an excellent job, getting the streets & parking lot very clear, very fast, but our 3 wooden steps, coming down off our porch, are long & kind of wide steps, & they were completely 100% covered with a solid sheet of invisible ice, no snow on them, it was all ice, I came out 1st to go across the lot for our 8:30 free Breakfast they serve each morning, & I hit the 1st frozen step & missed the rest & landed on the concrete sidewalk on my rear, I am 54 & luckily all I got was a very sore rear cheek & a sore left tricep, I told the waitress for breakfast & she apologized & got someone on it, but, you would think by now, that they would know, since the suite we were in, has no gutter, that the rain & melting snow running off the roof, goes straight down to the steps, & if cold enough as it was, will freeze, so they as a Business, should know this & be ahead of the game, & knowing that people go for the breakfast from 8:30am til 9:30 that they would check all this before anyone ventures out, they were lucky, I was not hurt worse, anyway, they placed something on the steps & our waitress checked it before we were done eating & said it was clear,so that was nice, but no one from Management came & talked to me to see if I were hurt or any follow up, that's very poor on their part, but the morning free breakfast's were always excellent, waitresses excellent, we always left $5 tip each morning, & the lady in the kitchen, was also the housekeeper that cleaned our rooms, she was very nice & cleaned our room each day while we were out very nice, so we tipped her, $20 at the end of our stay, $5 PER DAY for the cleaning, wish we could have afforded more, but we were on a budget, we enjoyed the room, the complimentary breakfast, the waitresses, & housekeeper, but due to no WIFI, nor being able to connect to another place while there, we won't stay here again, so if no WIFI is ok for you, then I recommend the Meade Suite, & not the Lee Suite, both are same price, but vastly different rooms, I don't know anything about the other rooms, so can't saw anything on them, but with most restaurants and businesses in town with WIFI, they need it, & also need to upgrade the Lee suite, we went to Mcdonalds, each day for a snack to use their free WIFI. also the paper in the room in their book said in the main room in the place, they had a VCR with Movies to watch, I could never find it, they said you could also rent & watch your own there, well for 1 thing I never found the VCR & if it is a VCR, upgrade to a decent DVD player, & for under $30 you could put a cheap DVD player in every room, also the Meade suite, had Ant's constantly in the bathroom.

Room Tip: The Meade suite is by far the best one to get, same price as the Lee, but totally 100% different roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Airy, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Lincoln suite for 3 nights and it was excellent. It was large consisting of a bedroom, living room, bath and kitchen. Where to start?

The bathroom only has a shower which I wasn't expecting but no complaints just an FYI. The towels were fluffy and soft and plenty of toiletries. Loved the toiletries.

The kitchen has a huge table for 6 in it. I loved it. Old wooden table to match the house. The decor has inspired me to have my husband build me a table! The kitchen is fully equiped right down to the dish soap which I can say most places do not provide. Everyday they replace the dish towels as well so you don't have to worry about them getting stinky. I was not expecting such a thorough cleaning. Nice touch!

The bedroom is big as well with a king size 4 poster bed of the period time. It was too humourous for my husband to watch me climb into it every night. Thank goodness they had a stool. This room has a couch and couple of chairs. A dresser and a full length mirror. An amazing period type mirror, that is on its own with a stand that you can adjust it. Hope I described that right. It is a large room plenty big enough to qualify as a suite all on its own if it had a bathroom in it.

The living room which also has a trundle/daybed type couch was plenty big enough for my sister and niece to join us on one of the nights we were in town. There is a small writting desk in the living room area.

I think the suite was huge. Really bigger then I expected with books to read on the book shelf and more tv stations then any other place I have stayed in Gettysburg. I think they have every channel available!

The service staff is amazing. They were helpful and courteous. There is one woman who was very helpful. And I love that they have provided jobs that are multi task. The servers also are the house keeping staff. I think this is a great way to provide year round employment in a town that is run by the seasons. It's wonderful to see that they have found a way to keep good employees.

The food for me was so so. I have had better. With the reputation of the Dobbin House I guess I set my sites way to high. Or maybe I had a cold. My husband, sister and niece thought the food was great. It was ok to me. I have high standards on food and am not the right person to ask. The fact that breakfast is included in the price of the room makes it worth it either way. It was good food. I was just told it was the best in town and I have had better. But please don't take my review on the food for anything. Like I said I set my standards too high and expected too much.

They provide snacks in the room which most hotels charge for. They do not. So we had popcorn and Apple juice every night while watching people pass by on the porch.

The porch sits facing the cemetery and if not so cold and windy this time I would have enjoyed sitting and watching people go by. Large porch with two chairs.

Now for the only complaint. Parking. While each suite has its own designated spot some diners do not respect that these are not open spots for the restaurant. Normally such a small thing would not bother me. Sure there were plenty of other spots and one on the street right in front of the room. However, it was Friday night at the busiest restaurant in Gettysburg and all the spots were taken. Even the one assigned to our room. I can't imagine anyone being so rude. However there are a ton of people with absolutely no manners. The only way I can think for the b and b to fix it is to put a sign inside the door or outside the door, perhaps both stating NOT TO PARK IN THE ASSIGNED SPOTS. It's quite annoying and I can't imagine what guests do when the town is busy.

Overall I would stay here again. And will! The Lincoln suite was like being at home. Beautiful. I also loved the privacy of this b and b. You don't get this privacy with most of them. We felt safe and unbothered when we were inside our suite.

As for ghosts hmmmm, we had a couple experiences but nothing I could say was ghostly. Not sure but I will say there are possibilities. It is in the right spot for a haunting. The whole town is part of the battlefield so who knows....

• Stayed February 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Staying at the Gettystown in was a great experience. We always usually stay in a hotel when we are visiting Gettysburg, but after staying at the Gettystown Inn this past August, I feel we will be staying here more often. We rented the Overlook 2 Suite, which was big enough for myself and my parents while we were visiting. The suite has a large queen bed and a sitting room that overlooks the National Cemetary. Also in the suite is a private sitting room with a pull-out sofa which I used and was very comfortable. The bathroom was very nice and newly renovated. Breakfasts were the best, fruit, breads/muffins, and a different dish every morning usually consisiting of a meat, potato, and bread or egg dish. Delicious! The service could not be better or more friendly. We have made reservations to stay here this May! The only downside was that you have one reserved parking spot for your specific room, right in front of the Dobbin House restaurant. Just be careful because many diners will ignore the signs and park in your spot even though they are not supposed to. Or, in our case, every night when we got back from going out, the same car was parked in our spot. Maybe they forgot what room they were staying in? That being said if you are active and gone most of the day seeing what Gettysburg has to offer like we are, you won't really find this to be a problem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Three of us traveled to Gettysburg during a terrible snowstorm/rainstorm combo at the end of December 2012. We stayed at the Gettystown inn in the Aunt Hollys Garden suite for 1 night. It is 2 stories with a separate bedroom and the bathroom upstairs and a mini kitchen and living room with a pull out couch downstairs. The place was cute and comfortable, especially the upstairs bedroom. The stairs were wooden and very creaky. Breakast is included at the Dobbins House. It was half off in December so it was a great buy. The only complaint was that no one swept the walks and we walked through slush. Breakfast is served between 8 and 9 at Dobbins House next door but the lot was not cleared at 8am either. Thank goodness I had tall boots. It is quite a place to see in itself--very quaint with lots of history and a mini museum. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would recommend the Gettystown Inn accomodations to anyone who wants to get into the spirit (may be haunted) of Gettysburg. Especially during the winter when its discount makes it a super value. it does have a little porch too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gettystown Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!