“Going downhill...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Farnsworth House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Farnsworth House Inn
401 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #21 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
strongstown
“Going downhill...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have been eating here for years. We have always loved it...UNTIL the last time. The menu, service and cleanliness have changed. It is now overpriced poor quality food. I'm not sure if someone else has taken over or if the owners have given up, but something has gone wrong here. It used to be period dining with quality food...now it seems to be frozen/precooked/instant food items. I have been very disappointed with many of the restaurants in Gettysburg this summer...maybe it's time to stop visiting for a while. Such a shame that so many of the nice places are turning into dumps :(

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed in the Jenny Wade room. Dark, dingy, and dirty. The window was right on the patio dining area, so you could not open the drapes. Lots of noise from the dining area and nearby kitchen. TV didn't work, room was not made up by 4pm. If we wouldn't have called the front desk, I doubt it would have been done at all. No control over the heat/ac, alternated between stuffy and freezing. Staff seemed forlorn and unhappy. Food was good, as is the location. Parking is convenient. If you are a ghost hunter (it's supposedly haunted), it might be worth the price. If not, there are much nice B&Bs in Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the garden house, all the rooms are next to the tavern and kitchen, and are very n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night. It was my first time staying at a B&B. They were great. They have a cute book store that reminds you of simpler times. That is where you check in at. They also have a fine dinning area, tavern and out door dinning. While on our trip we went on ghost tours. At one point we did theirs. It was wonderful as we were taken inside the B&B where we fell in love with the beauty of the place. We heard tales of haunting so we were able to get a room. What a great night! They also rent Scooters. We were not able to get a scooter but we will be sure to do it next time! All around a great stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Great food and the outside seating was wonderful. Great time to eat and relax and talk to family and friends. There were eight of us and we all ordered something different and everything was good. We ordered steaks (one was very over cooked, but they fixed another), salmon, turkey, onion soup, and pork loin. The only negative was the service was very slow!!

Good place to relax and tour the house that is full of civil way bullet holes.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Snow Camp
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My son & I decided to stop here for a quick bite to eat while touring Gettysburg. We both ordered a sandwich platter. The panini style sandwich I had was OK. He had the roast beef sandwich. He enjoyed his. I think for the price they could have offered more. We wanted to try some of the local fare on their appetizer listing, but the waitress stated they were not available.

If you enjoy eating outside on a beautiful day, this is the place to go. Be prepared to pay for the experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here last summer (August 2012) and will not return. I had really good memories from dining here many years ago. The food, restaurant and staff were all fantastic. I had never stayed overnight in any of the rooms so I really had high expectations when making my reservation. What a disappointment. When we checked in we were just handed our key. No explanation as to where our room was located, or anything about the free breakfast in the morning. The girl at the desk wasn't very friendly. We booked the Custer Room which looked large online. Upon entering the room, it was very tiny and cramped. The mattress was clearly sagging in the middle and we did not have a good night sleep due to this old mattress. The bathroom only had a very small shower stall. No tub. When you open the shower door to turn the water on, the shower sprays water out the door. It was awful. There is no air conditioning so you must leave the windows open which face the courtyard where people are eating and very near the front street. We heard noise and annoying music all night long. At 2:45 am we walked outside to investigate and found the music coming from the tavern which had speakers in the courtyard. The place was closed. No one was around. This was not a ghost. Someone working forgot to turn it off before they left for the night. It was very loud. We complained about this when we checked out the next morning. We had a very long drive the next day and no sleep. They promised to give us a credit on our card for a portion of our stay. It never happened. Breakfast was terrible. Dinner the night before in the dining room was very good but not even close to the dining experience i had years ago. This place is not worth the price and with so many places in town to eat and stay, don't go here. Everyone has an attitude and the owners just don't care anymore. It is sad because back in the 80's this was the place to go. We went back to Gettysburg last week (August 2013) but stayed some place else. We did go to the tavern here to try a beer and lunch. It wasn't good. The goober peanut soup was not how I remembered. It was very watery. My boyfriend ordered their burger which they said was great. It was very similar to the kind you get at a football game. Frozen, thin patty and cheap bun. Frozen fries. Nothing special at all. A waste of time and money. I used to love this place. I don't know what's happened to it. Someone needs to read these reviews and show some care and make some major changes. This was my favorite place to have dinner years ago. I was very disappointed on my return last year and again last week. I won't be going back.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the Custer Room. The mattress was uncomfortable. The room was dark and cramped...
Fairmont, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This Inn is beautiful. The feeling of staying in a house that not only witnessed but played a significant role in the battle is amazing. I felt so relaxed in the Sarah Black room. The location is wonderful and their veranda is very relaxing. Their drinks rock too!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Farnsworth House Inn? Share your experiences!