“Sadly Going Downhill” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Farnsworth House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Farnsworth House Inn
You added Farnsworth House Inn to your Saves list
401 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #21 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Sadly Going Downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is very sad for me to say, but, as a longtime fan of the Farnsworth, they have lost me as a customer. The service is poor, the women who answer the phone are VERY rude, and everything about the Farnsworth House has turned from wonderful and inviting to grungy, dirty, and unappealling.

They have dumbed down their dining room menu to their bar menu (even though their website has their old GOOD menu still on it - Hello! False advertising!) and thought no one would notice. Then, told all the customers who complained that the "150 Gettysburg Anniversary Committee forced them (and all of the restaurants in Gettysburg) to change their menu to get more people in and out faster." When I questioned the other nice restaurants in the area, they had no idea what I was talking about. Oh, and the food was not good.

The owner really needs to reassess what is going on at his establishment. Not everyone cares about ghosts, ghost tours, seances, or haunted houses. Some people come to Gettysburg because they are interested in history.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. The price does not warrant what you get.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed there back in 2002, had a really nice time. The food was great and really enjoyed the history surrounding me. The home does have a lot of "feeling" in it. Please don't go there and expect boxes moving or ghost flying....feel the vibe! Walk the battlefield, go to the main street...have your own ghost tour but do some historical research first.

You know, really interesting place to check out....why not?

Room Tip: Really, try them all? I got what was available, Eisenhower room. I was satisfied. I would love to st...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Westminster, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

if you visit Gettysburg the Farnesworth House Inn is a must! I was there during the 150th anniversary and even with the crowds of people the wait for lu ch was only a few minutes. The food was, as it always is, excellent!

• Stayed June 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My brother, niece and I went for dinner. The night before we had dined at the Dobbin House and had a wonderful experience. We were hoping for the same - or better - at Farnsworth but this was not to be.
The green beans were canned and the Chicken Pot Pie had no crust and was a pasty mess of chicken and overdone noodles. Service was brusque and somewhat rushed and rude.
Not worth the time, the calories or the cash. Stay away!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were three couples who spent two nights at the Farnsworth Inn. This B&B was picked because one of the couples are into ghosts. I stayed in the Sweeney room, which was a decent room. My only complaint would be that there was no bathroom door (only a curtain) and the bed wasn't very comfortable.

Breakfast was great both mornings, everything is local.

We didn't see or hear any ghosts during our stay. I was hoping for something since this is supposedly one of the most haunted places in the country...I guess that I still am a non believer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

As I'm a fairly frequent traveler to Gettysburg, this is usually the place I stay. It's in a great location, has a delightful history, and the rooms are well worth it.

While some of the rooms are allegedly haunted, I'm usually reading up on the battle while staying there. And even demons are afraid to bother me while I'm reading!

And I love to chat with the bartenders about, for example, "Gettysburg" cast members who occasionally grace the bar which displays some of the costumes they wore in the film.

Finally, the food and the ambiance in the restaurant can't be bet. Enjoy the place, and say hi for me!

Room Tip: Custer's nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at farnsworth in the jenny wade room lovely room. No problems with check in staff was very nice. we had some experiences but not many but we where ok with this. When we first arived we placed tape on the floor and lined up four of my grandson's cars on another spott on the floor we placed tape and stacked coins and left the room for a couple hours. This was for Jeremy the boy that haunts farnsworth . When we ame back for the night my husband saw an orb go up the wall and accross the ceiling, my sister in the night had awoken to a sweet smell and a cold spott on her arm and the hair stood up almost like a cat had licked her. the best thing that happened was not until an hour b4 check out my husband was taking some last minute pictures of the room and picked up the stuffed cat by the fire place as he did this the medal bird cage in the corner went crazy not a little sway back and forth but it rocked like crazy now we alll jumped on the bed amazed at what we just saw. Cant wait to go back next year

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Farnsworth House Inn? Share your experiences!