“Look forward to our visit every year” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Farnsworth House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Farnsworth House Inn
401 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #21 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Look forward to our visit every year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Farnsworth for our yearly anniversary trip. We had a great time as usual. We can't compliment the staff enough. They are all always so personable & helpful -we love it there! This is the 2nd time we stayed overnight in the Sweney Room...lot's of pacing by an unseen visitor next to the bed, right outside the bathroom and outside the bedroom door. Someone (or thing) jiggling the door handle trying to get in. I'm not ashamed to say that I slept with the lights on (which didn't exactly thrill my husband :) Breakfast was awesome. Looking forward to our visit next year!

Room Tip: If you are afraid of ghost's stay away from the Black and Sweney Rooms!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

240 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were so please. We will be back. I did read the reviews but wanted to find out for myself. 1st if you come during off season, what kind of entertaiment do you think you are going to get? You should have planed better. 2nd, the house has been there since the civil war, it is not going to have that "new car smell". 3rd, since the house was built in the 1800's they did not have master bedroom. 4th, I don't think they can say "ghost we have quest today,please do something to scare them". 5th, we will be back to visit, I loved my room, very clean. And everyone was so nice.

• Stayed March 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

All I'm going to say is that this place is not worth your time or money and listen to the other reviews Over priced and dirty. Service is terrible the price per rooms are actually $140-195 did not experience any activity and the ghost tours are pretty lame

• Stayed December 2012
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed there in December for my birthday weekend in the Katherine Sweeney room. So much to say about this place. The room was clean and comfortable and the free breakfast was pretty tasty. We joined the paranormal night event and it was an amazing experience. As experienced ghost hunters, we were fascinated by the fact that we had free reign of every room in this inn. We used various equipment types such as spirit boxes, EVP recorders and dowsing rods. We spoke with several spirits including Jeremy, a 7 year old boy/ghost who roams the rooms. We even put toys out for Jeremy and they were moved. This place offers a wonderful experience and is one of the most haunted places in Gettysburg. a definite must do if you are an enthusiast of civil war history and/or ghost hunting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Olney, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

On the plus side: 1) members of the staff were all very helpful and friendly; 2) The Tavern's food was decent and the drinks were inexpensive; 3) breakfast was delicious and free; 4) the ghost tour was so much fun and cheap; 5) the bathroom in my room was small but very clean; 6) the towels were clean; and 7) this place has a great location. On the minus side, the main part (bathroom excluded) of my room (Custer) had just an incredible musty smell. It really kind of bowled you over when you walked into the room. I think it was coming from the bearskin rug which has seen better days. We kept joking about the bear having gone over the mountain one too many times. Custer's last stand was also talked about. Basically, it could have done with a VERY thorough dusting and airing -- of everything -- twice. That musty smell was even worse in the small gift shop/check-in area. The Jennie Wade room was nicer and did not have the musty smell, although I agree with the reviews that say some of the clutter in the room could go. However, I kind of knew what I was getting after I read the reviews before going, so I will just say that what everyone else has said is pretty spot on -- both the good and the bad.

Room Tip: Between Custer and Jennie Wade, take Jennie.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Penngrove, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Just came back from a visit to Gettysburg and stayed at the Farnsworth House Inn. We were there during 'off season' as I was told numerous times and the lack of staff on check-in was obvious. We were quickly shown our rooms and then the office was closed so there was no one to help with any questions after check-in. This is my main complaint here with this B&B. We arrived on a Sunday. Downtown Gettysburg at this time of year is only happening on Thursday-Saturday during winter for shops and local attractions, otherwise most of them are closed which was the case with us.

The Farnsworth is like stepping back in time. There were 3 of us and we stayed in the McFarland Room which is VERY dark with poor lighting, but charming all the same and the Sarah Black room. Shower curtain in this room needs a washing bad as the bathroom smelled like urine from it. Both rooms face the street and the traffic noise is like sitting next to a highway - very, very loud and noisy street sounds as the windows are not double paned. Tiny TV's in both rooms, but I wasn't expecting a television so this was just a nice surprise. Both rooms were clean, beds were comfortable and we felt like we were in rooms from the 1800's. Be aware that the walls are paper thin and you will hear everything including other guests talking, TV's, snoring(!) AND the grandfather clock that chimed loudly every 15 minutes!!! Not much sleeping done here, not because of anything paranormal, we experienced none of that, but the volume of noise from the clock and traffic was over the top.

Breakfast the next day was fine, nothing special but at least made to order. My reason for the 3 stars is because of the lack of staffing or communication once we arrived. We were basically on our own as the gentleman showing us our room bolted as soon as he took us to our rooms. Monday AM was better as there was a very nice lady serving breakfast and cleaning the rooms who was helpful and showed us all the rooms in the house.

If you are looking for a 5 star update accommodation, this is not the place for you. The floorboards creak and it is what it is, an old house from the 1800's. We were up for the adventure and overall enjoyed ourselves.

PS Their ghost tour is nothing but storytelling at best and most of it is fictional. it was entertaining all the same, but I would not do it again. Definitely do the tour at the Visitors Center and do the guided Car Tour. That was so amazing and informative, thanks Rick!

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the street as the traffic sounds will keep you awake.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Springfield, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Without getting into a long story. You just have to read the bad reviews and that sums it all up for the Farnsworth inn. Maybe some people like it but if the inn can't deliver a clean comfortable room, good food and service most of the time, they don't deserve your busness. Sure...you can't please everybody but at least try. it looks like they gave up.
Why take a chance???
It's a shame when a busness losses touch with customer service. This place did.

Room Tip: Go some where else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Farnsworth House Inn? Share your experiences!