“Some good, some bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Farnsworth House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Farnsworth House Inn
You added Farnsworth House Inn to your Saves list
401 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #21 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Olney, MD
“Some good, some bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

On the plus side: 1) members of the staff were all very helpful and friendly; 2) The Tavern's food was decent and the drinks were inexpensive; 3) breakfast was delicious and free; 4) the ghost tour was so much fun and cheap; 5) the bathroom in my room was small but very clean; 6) the towels were clean; and 7) this place has a great location. On the minus side, the main part (bathroom excluded) of my room (Custer) had just an incredible musty smell. It really kind of bowled you over when you walked into the room. I think it was coming from the bearskin rug which has seen better days. We kept joking about the bear having gone over the mountain one too many times. Custer's last stand was also talked about. Basically, it could have done with a VERY thorough dusting and airing -- of everything -- twice. That musty smell was even worse in the small gift shop/check-in area. The Jennie Wade room was nicer and did not have the musty smell, although I agree with the reviews that say some of the clutter in the room could go. However, I kind of knew what I was getting after I read the reviews before going, so I will just say that what everyone else has said is pretty spot on -- both the good and the bad.

Room Tip: Between Custer and Jennie Wade, take Jennie.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Penngrove, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Just came back from a visit to Gettysburg and stayed at the Farnsworth House Inn. We were there during 'off season' as I was told numerous times and the lack of staff on check-in was obvious. We were quickly shown our rooms and then the office was closed so there was no one to help with any questions after check-in. This is my main complaint here with this B&B. We arrived on a Sunday. Downtown Gettysburg at this time of year is only happening on Thursday-Saturday during winter for shops and local attractions, otherwise most of them are closed which was the case with us.

The Farnsworth is like stepping back in time. There were 3 of us and we stayed in the McFarland Room which is VERY dark with poor lighting, but charming all the same and the Sarah Black room. Shower curtain in this room needs a washing bad as the bathroom smelled like urine from it. Both rooms face the street and the traffic noise is like sitting next to a highway - very, very loud and noisy street sounds as the windows are not double paned. Tiny TV's in both rooms, but I wasn't expecting a television so this was just a nice surprise. Both rooms were clean, beds were comfortable and we felt like we were in rooms from the 1800's. Be aware that the walls are paper thin and you will hear everything including other guests talking, TV's, snoring(!) AND the grandfather clock that chimed loudly every 15 minutes!!! Not much sleeping done here, not because of anything paranormal, we experienced none of that, but the volume of noise from the clock and traffic was over the top.

Breakfast the next day was fine, nothing special but at least made to order. My reason for the 3 stars is because of the lack of staffing or communication once we arrived. We were basically on our own as the gentleman showing us our room bolted as soon as he took us to our rooms. Monday AM was better as there was a very nice lady serving breakfast and cleaning the rooms who was helpful and showed us all the rooms in the house.

If you are looking for a 5 star update accommodation, this is not the place for you. The floorboards creak and it is what it is, an old house from the 1800's. We were up for the adventure and overall enjoyed ourselves.

PS Their ghost tour is nothing but storytelling at best and most of it is fictional. it was entertaining all the same, but I would not do it again. Definitely do the tour at the Visitors Center and do the guided Car Tour. That was so amazing and informative, thanks Rick!

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the street as the traffic sounds will keep you awake.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Springfield, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Without getting into a long story. You just have to read the bad reviews and that sums it all up for the Farnsworth inn. Maybe some people like it but if the inn can't deliver a clean comfortable room, good food and service most of the time, they don't deserve your busness. Sure...you can't please everybody but at least try. it looks like they gave up.
Why take a chance???
It's a shame when a busness losses touch with customer service. This place did.

Room Tip: Go some where else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Erie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Farnsworth for a couples weekend with friends. Overall, we occupied almost the entire Inn with the number of rooms needed by our group. My sister-in-law had by itching to stay at this "haunted" inn during our annual fall getaway. We stayed there, ate there (2 breakfasts that were included, a lunch and dinner), did the ghost tour and boy, overall it was not a memorable event. I'm not a paranormal junkie; I do believe but I didn't have expectations for our stay in the Jenny Wade room. Overall, the vibe of the entire place was creepy, but it lacked the basic requirements for a stay at the cost we were charged.

Our room: so, we paid extra for a room with a fireplace. And it didn't work. The room was furnished in what an only be called "Victorian era tacky." The weird monkey soldier painting was so huge and definitely contributed to the creepy vibe--especially since you felt like it was watching you. Equally odd, was the stuffed cat that was curled up, sleeping, on a stack of fake books. The room wasn't overly clean. The bed really could have used a new mattress (the frame was an antique sleigh bed); neither one of us was able to get comfortable. And instead of replacing toilettries that should be replinished daily (soap, shampoo, etc.) we had to make do with the same supply for 2 adults for 2 nights. And I had to hunt down a hair dryer instead of one being automatically in the room.

The food: lunch was unremarkable and overpriced. I actually left hungry. Out of 6 adults, only my husband was happy with his lunch--the fish and chips. Breakfast was included both mornings with our stay and was a decent meal. Dinner for a party of 8 was fair, although pricey considering the offerings we found elsewhere of equal caliber. I guess you pay for the experience of the period costume servers, but I'd had enough by now. Oh, and don't bother stopping by the bar after dinner (it closes nightly at 10 pm); the crew there is less than pleasant and tried to shoo us out before last call. If customer is supposed to be king, this place didn't get the memo.

Another interesting experience: some random, heavily tattooed men knocked on our room door, looking to be let in to measure carpet. The cleaning lady was letting them in, UNSUPERVISED, with all of our belongings in the room, including valuable such as computer, camera equipment, etc. They told us we could leave and they would lock up (cleaning lady and "carpet" guys all said this); are they crazy? We insisted on staying and for our "trouble" the owner gave us a book on the inn. Really??? You can't schedule this at a time other than your peak season, and when the room is occupied. Irritating, but glad we were in our room at the time people were given entry.

Did we have any haunting experiences while there? That's debatable. But we will be haunted with regret for paying what we did for the room, dinner and overall lackluster experience we experienced at Farnsworth.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn! You'll save money, sleep better and enjoy your experience. Stop by fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Took my daughter for the paranormal experience and we had a great time.

Our Room:
We weren't shown to our room but in every B&B I've stayed in I've never been shown to my room..it's not hard to find your own room. The McFarlane's decor is all Victorian - dark color, ornate but beautiful at the same time. For those that find the decor "too much" well this isn't the place for you...they are trying to keep in theme with the history/past of the house. Oh and remember the house is haunted.....need to set the stage for that too...can't have bright and modern decor if the house is haunted by civil war era spirits.....Keep that in mind when staying there.

Dinning:
Our first night we were going to eat in the Tavern but they had it closed for a special party so we went into the dinning room and asked about a table, told them we were guests of the Inn and that's all it took..they fit us in (Friday night and packed w/ people). The food was great and they really took good care of us! Both days we ate breakfast at the Inn...wonderful food and service!

Haunted? :
Yep the house is haunted...this is one of those things you need to experience for yourself. If your looking for this just don't try too hard...just listen, watch and try to stay calm. If your not keen on the paranormal..stay somewhere else.

Staff:
What can I say...the staff was always helpfull and willing the go out of their way for us. Thanks Everyone on the Farnsworth for making our stay an experence we will never forget......and yes we will be back!

Room Tip: For the best paranormal experience stay in the house..not in the garden rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter & I stayed in the McFarlane room & had a wonderful experience. Lots of sounds all night by 5 am had to turn the lights on. We stayed for dinner & breakfast & found the food & staff excellent. Really enjoyed reading the experiences of others in the journal. Hope to stay there again. We did the East Cemetery ghost walk as well it was fantastic. Had taken the Black cat ghost walk the night before & wasn't nearly as good. I'm sorry I didn't get the guides name but she was really great & brought history to life!! Can't wait for our next visit!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Macedonia, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Custer room was nice. I felt very comfortable in there and would love to have a den decorated the same way. The breakfast was OK, but the waitress was very mean and negative (skinny, dark hair), she was very condescending to the 4 of us when we sat at a table that was not set up for breakfast. Saying "that table is for "fine dining".

We met the owner when checking out and he was a great guy to talk to. The check in lady also said that the Eisenhower room is used by mediums who want a "safe" place to sleep. That could be useful info.

Our (my wife and I) experience in the Custer room consisted of marbles moving (after we put them loose on the fireplace mantle) as I lay in bed, alone (wife went to breakfast, I passed because of the mean lady). Also, each of the two nights, we woke up with the top quilt on the floor next to the window, layered as if it had been slowly draped over itself. My wife said "maybe you pulled it off", fair enough, but I asked her "if that's the case, why is your little pillow (she brought a pillow for her knee) on the floor, but on your side? I also woke up frightened, I think I felt the blanket moving, and had to turn on a light to fall asleep. Didn't feel negative or dangerous, just unfamiliar.

So, we didn't stay in this room for the luxury, the nice breakfast or pleasantries, we stayed here for a paranormal experience. I believe the Farnsworth House delivered. I plan to go back with a video camera this year.

Room Tip: You're obviously staying here because it's supposedly haunted. If you wanted luxury you woul...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Farnsworth House Inn? Share your experiences!